Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You're not fooling anyone. You're purposely linking gay men to pedophilia. Don't even try and backtrack on that
I've certainly never suggested that all gay men are pedophiles. Nor would I suggest that all polygamists are rapists, as you seem to be doing.
Quote:
We've pointed out numerous ways that polygamy is harmful. No reason to go over it again.
I've seen your double standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 03:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course I do. But again....I find it amazing that your side would broadly suggest that all polygamists are rapists ......
I've never even hinted that. Stop lying about me Viz, you're breaking a commandment. God will be displeased.

I don't stereotype plygs since we have polygamist neighbors. They are not members of Jeff's cult. They live in a spectacular house, the wives are all over 30 and the kids are friendly, polite (they knocked on the door and asked if it was OK to ride their horses across the back of our property when the trail washed out a few days ago - yep) well-nourished and big fans of the local library. (We chat about Harry Potter.)

Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Again ... the two have nothing to do with each other, so what those who support SSM think is irrelevant.

I have a basis to be opposed to polygamy ... it is a different basis than my support of SSM because it's a different question. I have explained my basis ... it's not beneficial to society on balance and it's not practical, from a societal point of view, and would require extensive legal alterations in the structure of society.

No, I don't have a basis to declare it "sinful" or "wrong" but then I don't have a basis to declare it "oog" or "boogah" either. Such declarations are irrelevant and meaningless as they inherently can only represent one person's subjective opinions and judgments. Any question before the body politic in a secular society is a question of benefits vs harms, along with considerations of equality before the law.

What you clearly have a need for is to keep unwanted things in the realm of taboo, lest some of them be potentially determined to be neutral or beneficial when you consider them harmful, or certain restrictions be declared inequitable to some group you want to marginalize / repress. This is simply a desire to control the parts of society that don't share your beliefs, nothing more nor less. You can dress it up in appeals to holy writ, tradition or dogma all you want, but at the end of the day it is just your group imposing its beliefs and ideations on people outside your group.

He is not interested in any explaination of what needs to be changed in order for polyogmy to be able to function in our society. Seems like he is only interested in trying to insult those that suppport same sex marriage and are not activerly advocating for polyogmy to be legal. You wrote a good and detailed explaination on what has to be overcome in order for polyogmy to function and he just brushed you off.

Off course the good reasons against SSM was AIDS, pedophily and bestility

Old 09-02-2015, 04:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sure If they have homosexual marriage then marrying three or four men and women together should go hand in hand , so if they cannot marry more then one couple then that is indeed an corrupt hypocrisy the Supreme Court has put on America
My cat is marrying the hamster next door, maybe their parakeet at the same time. We can blame the homosexuals on the abomination!! And after cat/bird/rodent polygamy, what next?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
I've certainly never suggested that all gay men are pedophiles. Nor would I suggest that all polygamists are rapists, as you seem to be doing.

I've seen your double standard.
I never suggested all. I see what you're doing here... it's cute!

Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never even hinted that. Stop lying about me Viz, you're breaking a commandment. God will be displeased.
I don't recall ever making the statement that you specifically did.
Quote:
I don't stereotype plygs since we have polygamist neighbors. They are not members of Jeff's cult. They live in a spectacular house, the wives are all over 30 and the kids are friendly, polite (they knocked on the door and asked if it was OK to ride their horses across the back of our property when the trail washed out a few days ago - yep) well-nourished and big fans of the local library. (We chat about Harry Potter.)
Good for you. Apparently others on your side have, though.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Do you also lecture infertile straight couple who adopt and foster? Do you lecture the straight couples who use donated eggs or sperm?

Tell us how that works in the fundie world.

Wait. I know three fundamentalist couples who used donated sperm so they could have children. Do they get the Viz "It's unnatural" lecture?
Still waiting for an answer...... Preacher. Go for it. Preach.

Do you tell straight men with low sperm counts it's unnatural if they procreate using medical science? Do you lecture straight couples who used IVF, "Sorry.. but creating a baby in a Petri Dish is an unnatural environment."

Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for an answer...... Preacher. Go for it. Preach.

Do you tell straight men with low sperm counts it's unnatural if they procreate using medical science? Do you lecture straight couples who used IVF, "Sorry.. but creating a baby in a Petri Dish is an unnatural environment."
Why would I lecture a couple that wants to adopt or have a baby through medical means?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Why would I lecture a couple that wants to adopt or have a baby through medical means?
A question isn't an answer. No matter how hard you try to mimic your guru, the aptly-named Slick. It's a dodge.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
A question isn't an answer. No matter how hard you try to mimic your guru, the aptly-named Slick. It's a dodge.
It's what he's been trained to do.

Viz is a good acolyte to his master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality