Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:00 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I just came from living there for fifty years, and from what I've seen so far, if anything UUs up there are more conservative than down here. I mean that mostly in the lower-case 'c', non-political sense -- a generalized antipathy for change, especially with regard to technology, and all that means (including changes in the way people communicate with each other). The UUs here were quick to put up a #BlackLivesMatter banner.
True, but then you get into the whole issue that people who are very liberal politically and socially can be just as hidebound as many arch-conservatives, and will just as happily cut off their nose to spite their face. Recently the UU listserv here had someone ask for a plumber referral and I made the mistake of admitting to an excellent experience and broad satisfaction with a plumbing company that's a large corporation and not locally owned and operated and people quickly piled in and effectively reprimanded me for being in league with The Man. Even while at the same time admitting that several of those small local outfits had ripped them off, too. It can be Kafkaeque at times, and it's a major reason that I am not embracing membership and generally not jumping in with both feet. It's an off-putting and unaware and often cliquish mindset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's just not the case. These specific people I know seem to have made that journey you're alluding to while remaining at their Southern Baptist churches. By the time they left those churches they've completed the journey.
Well that bolsters my faith in humanity a bit then. I just wasn't able to pull off a liberalization of my beliefs and views until I had broken free of the reality distortion field of my SBC-like denomination. But everyone is different. And every church is different. Many SBC churches are actually more tolerant and less intrusive in their member's private lives than the IFCA churches I grew up in, despite the similar governance structure and doctrinal statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:49 PM

42 posts, read 40,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I know an atheist guy who goes to church to keep his wife happy.
So he pretty much cancels out the "godly" truck driver

Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM

42 posts, read 40,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You do realize there is a difference between attending church, and being a church member?

The drop of 200,000 is the church members. And as you can see, the number of baptisms are down also. That means the sales funnel for a new members just does not exist.

Jeff, and others who are apologetics, you need to realize that the decline in church membership, attendance, and belief, is a precursor to more and more people accepting reality. As the report indicates, this is becoming more and more the way Millennials are looking at religion, and particularly the Christian religion.

Again as the report indicates, membership in the Southern Baptist Convention is getting older and older, and young people just have no interest in participating.

The decline in religiosity in the United States of America is real, and no matter how much apologists may want to deny it, is increasing.

And as Martha Stewart says, that is a good thing.
I read recently that the Catholic church is finally declining in the U.S. The only reason it had been holding its ground was due to immigrants from south of the border replacing all the fleeing members. But now that immigration is way down, the replacements aren't coming fast enough.

To my knowledge, the only churches growing are the "rock star non denominational mega churches". They seem to cater to younger people, but even they may lose ground with their typically harsh anti-gay stances.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
The Southern Baptist Convention Lost More Members Last Year Than Ever - World Religion News

Quick facts:
  • Largest decline ever; over 200,000 members.
  • Church planting actually increases number of churches, but less viable as self sustaining.
  • Weekly attendance at churches record drop.
  • Lowest number of baptisms since 1947.

Finally, more and more people are realizing that rational, secular, scientific, reasoning is reality, not belief in some old book written by desert dwelling, bronze aged, superstious goat herders.
All of those who are NOT unvarnished haters are being squeezed out. Once that is accomplished it's only a matter of time before the rest all die off.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 07-13-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 03:35 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
The Southern Baptist Convention Lost More Members Last Year Than Ever - World Religion News

Quick facts:
  • Church planting actually increases number of churches, but less viable as self sustaining.

Finally, more and more people are realizing that rational, secular, scientific, reasoning is reality, not belief in some old book written by desert dwelling, bronze aged, superstious goat herders.
That's too bad. I have known a few people of that faith and they were people that follow the Golden Rule. It is too bad that we have went to "if it feels good, do it". Topic should read "Satan's Recruitment Numbers Up".

Old 07-13-2015, 04:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That's too bad. I have known a few people of that faith and they were people that follow the Golden Rule. It is too bad that we have went to "if it feels good, do it". Topic should read "Satan's Recruitment Numbers Up".
Not quite.

There is a provision to that:

Old 07-14-2015, 06:22 AM

18,498 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The joke in this liberal enclave is that even the Baptists are liberal here.
Ithaca?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:24 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Not quite.

There is a provision to that:
What happens when it feels good and it harms someone?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:30 AM

939 posts, read 795,730 times
Quote:

Quick facts:
I guess you are ready to have an orgasm, since you get to bash religion!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverEN View Post

To my knowledge, the only churches growing are the "rock star non denominational mega churches". They seem to cater to younger people, but even they may lose ground with their typically harsh anti-gay stances.
Mega churches are drawing members from the smaller and more rigid churches.

The only two Churches that are actually growing in numbers are Jehovah's Witnesses #1, and Mormon's #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality