Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not force the public to look at my flamingos by putting them on public land. I keep them corralled on my property. Even though they are the most awesome flamingos on the planet, and I really, really want them on the State House property. i have to settle for watching them on the back pond.

I think the ten commandments belong on your front lawn in Texas.
this is alright, untill we start wasting money doing it. They aint a big deal on old buildings. We have to be honest on why they would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is alright, untill we start wasting money doing it. They aint a big deal on old buildings. We have to be honest on why they would be.
I have never seen the ten commandments on an older building. Have you? Not even flamingos... and I really really love flamingos.

Fundamentalist ideologues should be honest about forcing their beliefs on the public.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:36 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Did they remove the law where killing is illegal ? Or maybe perjury law is gone now ? ..Then maybe stealing law is gone to ???.... See what happen when liberals become dominate in the land
So ... whenever there is a criminal prosecution against someone accused of murder, theft, or perjury, the lawyers on both sides of the case refer to the Ten Commandments and the Bible as a means of presenting evidence? Is THAT what you think? Because if it is and you were my lawyer, I'd fire you so fast that the speed of light would seem pokey by comparison.

No, our legal system does not accept religious laws as an acceptable offense or defense in ANY case. They refer to our secular laws -- and once in awhile it just so happens that religious and secular laws run parallel. But taking down a sculpture of the 10 Commandments does not erase the SECULAR laws still extent in our penal code.

One thing I want to make perfectly clear about the 10 Commandments: Statues and sculptures depicting these old Hebrew laws have NO place in a secular courtroom or governmental establishment. Why?

Because of the first four commandments which are entirely religious in nature and have nothing whatsoever to do with civil behavior. Those first four are NOT in our secular penal code and thus shouldn't be staring down at litigants during their trials.

The FIRST commandment is especially egregious in a land built on religious tolerance: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" is a pretty blatant message saying, "If you're not a Christian, you're already guilty." If I were a member of a different religion, I'm not so sure I could trust a legal system that presents an ultimatum concerning which God should be worshiped in that courtroom ... an ultimatum chiseled in stone. How could I be certain that my religion, being non-Christian, won't play a role in swaying an otherwise hung jury? How could I be certain that the judge won't be tempted to "stick it" to the non-Christian while looking pointedly at the 1st Commandment hanging up there on the wall?

No thanks. There's a reason why we do our best to keep religion out of government (which includes our judicial system, by the way, just in case you were confused on that point). I suppose this is what happens when conservatives become dominate. You have the freedom to be a Christian ... because that's what religious freedom is all about, don'tch'ya know!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sad that our courts system has to waste time and money on a monument that doesn't affect citizens instead of real problems.

Are atheists really so sensitive that they can't bear seeing any public reference to the Bible?
I definitely see the 'It's a fuss about nothing'. 'it's a waste of effort' arguments as either poorly thought out or a deliberate ploy to try to push through the little bit by little bit incremental creep that overrides a legal precedent and provides a precedent - toehold to argue that the principle of separation of church and state has already been busted so there is no valid reason to object to a much more blatant example of it as we already saw with Reagan and Bush and we see right now with the agendas these theist apologists people have.

Ok, so maybe there are some who think they are being reasonable but instead are just being dim. frankly. For the rest, while they might be bigoted, viciously self -righteous, malicious, dishonest, and ill -informed, at least we see what they are standing for and I can respect that, though not much else. And that means that anyone with more than two brain cells and the ability to use them can see though these 'why make a fuss?' ploys to the agenda behind it and not buy it for a minute.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd just like to know what religion this supposedly benefits? There is no one religion that it singles out.
"Thou shalt have no other god before me" doesn't give you a clue?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
"Thou shalt have no other god before me" doesn't give you a clue?
Of course not. It's ALL the same God. It's just that Bible belt Southern Baptism is the only correct way to worship it.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Sad that our courts system has to waste time and money on a monument that doesn't affect citizens instead of real problems.

Are atheists really so sensitive that they can't bear seeing any public reference to the Bible?

If they would have equal references to other beliefs I don't think there would be an issue. However, they always cherry pick the religion they follow as the only one that deserves any reference.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:

And are fundies so sensitive that they cannot bear seeing any REFERENCE to any RELIGION other than the one represented by the god_n_the_tiny_box?

Fundies want the 10 commandments everywhere, prayer in school and christian sharia law across the land--but as soon as another religion steps up and wants the same rights, suddenly the fundies do the turtle and start to whine they are being persecuted...

Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And are fundies so sensitive that they cannot bear seeing any REFERENCE to any RELIGION other than the one represented by the god_n_the_tiny_box?

Fundies want the 10 commandments everywhere, prayer in school and christian sharia law across the land--but as soon as another religion steps up and wants the same rights, suddenly the fundies do the turtle and start to whine they are being persecuted...
I do remember a case when Christians fought tooth and nail for permission to distribute Christian literature on school district property but after the school day had ended (in other words, catching the little tykes as they scramble to get on their buses. Stranger danger doesn't apply to people waving around Christian pamphlets ... look out Candy and Van Guy. Wait 'till the kiddie fiddlers learn this NEW trick!).

Anyway, the Christians won their case and were eventually permitted to hand out their "You're gonna burn unless you join our church" literature and all was well in the world.

That was until a group of Wiccans showed up with their own literature and began handing it out - right along side the Christians.

And my god, talk about a hypernova right here on planet earth. The Christians were FURIOUS with a capital "furious!" They even tried petitioning to the local court that only THEY could hand out their literature. Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Pagans, Atheists, and all other Christian denominations are not welcome! So blargh on you, all of you "other" religions!

Naturally the court ruled that if they want the right to hand out their literature, that right would have to apply to every other recognized religion in the U.S. of A. If you don't like it, tough.

It goes without saying here that this is just another example of religious fascism occurring in a land that touts itself as THE expert on religious freedom. "Everyone came here so they wouldn't be persecuted for their religious beliefs" as we were taught in school. Except most of them were Puritans -- no wonder they weren't welcome in their mother countries. Those people are as fascist as they come even giving Hitler and Mussolini a run for their money.

And American fundamentalism is a direct descendant of Puritanism -- which is why you see cases like the one I described where the only freedom you really have is to be a fundamentalist Christian.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:34 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this is a load of crap. People at one point as part of their history wanted to built a landmark to the 10 commandments. This is not a statement of state religion
It is when it is the only religious monument allowed on government property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality