Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Apparently you think gays are above the law. You know, freedom of religion.
The 1st amendment has exactly zero restrictions on gay people infringing on freedom of religion. You, as someone supposedly hyper-focused in a literal application of the law should be aware of this. Since the 1st amendment says nothing about gay people at all, by your own logic it is perfectly legal for them to abridge anyone's religious freedom for any reason they want.

You wouldn't be in favor of judicial activists interpreting this amendment to mean more than it plainly says, would you? When the supreme court did that and invalidated bans on SSM, you called their actions wrong. No fair making up special rules when this approach leads to laws which go against your hobby or club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 06:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Interesting. But I doubt that she needs to be made a victim. It seems to me that her instructions to withhold licences will simply be ineffective.
As long as she doesn't try to force the deputy clerks to not issue, like she did before.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol ... sure the number of Christians has quadrupled in the past century ... compared to the world population increasing about 4.5 times. World population in 1900 was roughly 1.65 billion, now it's 7.4 billion.

The point of the article was that there were and are a lot of Christians and they aren't suddenly insignificant. But the numbers even you cited also show them losing significant ground.
If the world's population is 7.4 billion and 2.5 billion are Christian then that means nearly 1/3 of the world's population are Christian. I don't consider that to be "losing significant ground". the numbers game is irrelevant anyways. The really telling truth is that millions are coming to Christ in the most Christian hostile countries like China, India and the Middle East.

And how many are atheists? Around 5% in America. That means most people don't think like you.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
If the world's population is 7.4 billion and 2.5 billion are Christian then that means nearly 1/3 of the world's population are Christian. I don't consider that to be "losing significant ground". the numbers game is irrelevant anyways. The really telling truth is that millions are coming to Christ in the most Christian hostile countries like China, India and the Middle East.

And how many are atheists? Around 5% in America. That means most people don't think like you.
As usual you sidestep the actual point because it's inconvenient. That point is that the world population is growing at the same or slightly higher rate than the church is growing, and thus, at the least, Christianity is not gaining market share.

One third is a pretty poor showing for two thousand years of effort IMO but even if Christians were 2/3 or 9/10 of the world population it would not speak to whether it were gaining or losing ground because you aren't comparing those numbers to the same numbers in earlier time frames. So I agree ... what percentage of the world population Christians are, doesn't sound like losing ground, because it doesn't even address that issue.

I could go on but this is off-topic for the thread and you need to start a separate thread on this if you want to discuss it.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
If the world's population is 7.4 billion and 2.5 billion are Christian then that means nearly 1/3 of the world's population are Christian. I don't consider that to be "losing significant ground". the numbers game is irrelevant anyways.
These numbers do not seem to serve your narrative of Christian Persecution very well however. Much of your rhetoric on the three or four active threads on the subject of people using their religion to skive off performing their duty has suggested that Christians are being attacked and hated and persecuted.

If we were to take this narrative at all seriously, which I do not, then it is incomparable in all of history that such a large majority could be persecuted by such a small minority. If your persecution narrative is to hold then who is it persecuting Christians in the first place? Other Christians???

Old 09-11-2015, 08:20 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:

Says the number game is irrelevant.

Goes on to play the number game

Old 09-11-2015, 08:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Apparently you think gays are above the law. You know, freedom of religion.
I do not think gays are above the law. I think all citizens are equal under the law.

So...wrong again, Jeff. You should ask what I think instead of deciding what I think. You keep getting it wrong.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 23,206 times
Jeffbase40, Please explain the grammatical difference between the following two sentences:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

--and--

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of a religion"

The second part of the question is simple. Which one of those sentences are found verbatim in the ultimate law of the land, the United States Constitution?

When you answer that honestly, your answer will be self-evident.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:11 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
I only posted this in response to the false claim by Nozz that I've never presented any argument against homosexuality, but of course, he gets no blame for going off topic. I will return to discussing Kim Davis.
Perhaps you can tell us what you think SHOULD be happening in Rowan County, Kentucky.

The Supreme Court has ruled that everyone must be treated equally in the issuance of marriage licenses under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment, so that is settled. Done. Over. Gay people can get married.

Under Kentucky law, the County Clerk is charged with issuing marriage licenses.

That the scenario. That's the law. That's the way it is. The Governor said he is not authorized to change the rules, and there is no indication that the legislature wants to change the laws, so we have to assume that the rules will stay the same.

Under those conditions, what do YOU think should be happening? How do those gay people go about getting the license the Supreme Court says they are entitled to get? Do you think they should be denied what the Court says they are entitled to? What outcome would make you happy?

We can all see that you think all gay people should quit having anal sex, but that's not really the point. What do you really think should happen in Morehead, KY, right now? How do you think this issue should be resolved?

Old 09-11-2015, 03:30 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Perhaps you can tell us what you think SHOULD be happening in Rowan County, Kentucky.

The Supreme Court has ruled that everyone must be treated equally in the issuance of marriage licenses under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment, so that is settled. Done. Over. Gay people can get married.

Under Kentucky law, the County Clerk is charged with issuing marriage licenses.

That the scenario. That's the law. That's the way it is. The Governor said he is not authorized to change the rules, and there is no indication that the legislature wants to change the laws, so we have to assume that the rules will stay the same.

Under those conditions, what do YOU think should be happening? How do those gay people go about getting the license the Supreme Court says they are entitled to get? Do you think they should be denied what the Court says they are entitled to? What outcome would make you happy?

We can all see that you think all gay people should quit having anal sex, but that's not really the point. What do you really think should happen in Morehead, KY, right now? How do you think this issue should be resolved?
I hope you will get an honest and thoughtful answer, but I am doubtful. I suspect that he would just want those sinful people to be denied what is lawful because he thinks it would please his God. It is a pathetic lack of concern or consideration for others who are sinners in his mind. I hope i am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality