Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 AM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Always wise, old friend! I have actually engaged in a thought experiment trying to think HOW I could change the human situation while maintaining absolute freedom of choice for each and every individual. I assumed that even if I had God-like powers (short of the silly magical do anything by just saying "Poof"), there was no way to accomplish what needs to happen to eliminate the ills that plague humankind short of persuading every single individual. In short, our motivation comes from God and it is truly up to us. There is no magical intervention that will solve anything . . . short of making us robots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Or am I wrong for even thinking that Spirituality only has value in relation to what it gives back to humanity as a whole? Does actualizing every single person "spiritually" result in a better humanity overall (as Ptsum notes)? Should Spirituality produce helpful social institutions as evidence of its validity, or does this lack betray a selfishness?
The betterment of society inevitably involves "bettering" each individual as the bold in my thought experiment shows. This will also result in social institutions that reflect that "betterment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times
thy are both synonyms i find those who claim spiritual but not religious tend to be more dogmatic and mor anti-athiest that the religious types

Old 08-21-2015, 07:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
thy are both synonyms i find those who claim spiritual but not religious tend to be more dogmatic and mor anti-athiest that the religious types
really? I find just the opposite is true.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
really? I find just the opposite is true.
Moi aussi.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:07 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The betterment of society inevitably involves "bettering" each individual as the bold in my thought experiment shows. This will also result in social institutions that reflect that "betterment."
Ah, I missed your statement in your first quote. My mistake.

Have any social institutions resulted from the conglomeration of modern individual "spirituality" yet, or are we still in the infant stages of the experiment? The notion is a good one, but I wonder whether many see outside themselves to help such a goal.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:20 PM

874 posts, read 636,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenholt View Post
Are they both same and if so in what way? Please, keep your comments short and precise.
No. Religion is the relationship you have with church. Spirituality is the relationship you have with God. One can have either without the other - though that is hard to do.

Religion is a man-made set of rules, regulations, do's and do not's, etc. Spirituality is a one on one relationship with God.

The two are polar opposites.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:11 AM

874 posts, read 636,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
NO. Religion is a PROGRAM and Spirituality is a Path
Very good!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
there's an old saying, Religion is for those who are afraid to go to hell, Spirituality is for those who have already been there.something to think about..

Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
My interpretation (which may or may not be the same as others who have posted here.)

Religion: Organized/a collective. A set of beliefs that a group of people follow. These beliefs are dictated by someone else and not the individual.

Spirituality: Individual. Using one's own personal beliefs to find meaning of life, the world, & the universe. Some people may use their religion to find that but having a religion is not prerequisite to having spirituality.

Cat

Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
I found a great site that provides excellent differentiation between the two. I agree with most of it.
Quote:
  • Religion is an institution established by man for various reasons. Exert control, instill morality, stroke egos, or whatever it does. Organized, structured religions all but remove god from the equation. You confess your sins to a clergy member, go to elaborate churches to worship, told what to pray and when to pray it. All those factors remove you from god.
  • Spirituality is born in a person and develops in the person. It may be kick started by a religion, or it may be kick started by a revelation. Spirituality extends to all facets of a person’s life. Spirituality is chosen while religion is often times forced. Being spiritual to me is more important and better than being religious.
  • True spirituality is something that is found deep within oneself. It is your way of loving, accepting and relating to the world and people around you. It cannot be found in a church or by believing in a certain way.
Religion vs. Spirituality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality