Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Exactly.

Which will never be understood by the people who want to cling to their cars. Some people need to cling.....and they aren't happy with the people who don't.
Or maybe we think that we shouldn't cater to a small minority and inconvenience others. Cars shouldn't be restricted to less lanes of traffic because a few folks want to ride their bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 03:18 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You do realize that if a church doesn't have people attending...it won't really be able to stay open...right?

Then perhaps people ought not to ride their bikes if it's dangerous. Why must other people be inconvenienced so a few people can play in the street with their toys?
Yes, I do realize that. How is taking away ON STREET parking going to effect enough people to cause a church to close? They can park across the street, ON THE STREET, or they can ride with someone, or any number of other things.

Believe it or not Viz, some people use their bike as their main form of transportation. To say that they shouldn't be able to do that is just stupid. Not all of us live in the boonies. On the other hand, why should the be "inconvenienced" by being forced to use a car? I know a guy who bikes to work and it takes him 15 minutes. That same ride in a car is over 20 minutes, due to traffic. Why should he be FORCED to drive a car and spend an extra hour on commute every week?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Or maybe we think that we shouldn't cater to a small minority and inconvenience others. Cars shouldn't be restricted to less lanes of traffic because a few folks want to ride their bikes.
So you are using "might makes right" yet again? The majority doesn't do it so the minority shouldn't be able to? Stupid logic, Viz.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So you are using "might makes right" yet again? The majority doesn't do it so the minority shouldn't be able to? Stupid logic, Viz.
OK. Send me a check. I expect everyone reading this to send me a check. Your wishes are irrelevant. As a minority I demand my wishes be met.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Actually, the motorcades are more of an inconvenience in D.C. than the bikes.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do realize that. How is taking away ON STREET parking going to effect enough people to cause a church to close? They can park across the street, ON THE STREET, or they can ride with someone, or any number of other things.
In the story I read, I don't recall reading that there was available parking across the street.
Quote:
Believe it or not Viz, some people use their bike as their main form of transportation. To say that they shouldn't be able to do that is just stupid.
Nor should you expect the rest of the world to cater to the wants of the few.
Quote:

Not all of us live in the boonies. On the other hand, why should the be "inconvenienced" by being forced to use a car? I know a guy who bikes to work and it takes him 15 minutes. That same ride in a car is over 20 minutes, due to traffic. Why should he be FORCED to drive a car and spend an extra hour on commute every week?
Don't get a job in the city if you don't like it.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
In the story I read, I don't recall reading that there was available parking across the street.

Nor should you expect the rest of the world to cater to the wants of the few.

Don't get a job in the city if you don't like it.
I'm saying it is a possibility, not a guarantee it is there. There are other options as well.

I have noticed a lot of your arguments center around telling people, "if you dont like it, dont work/live/go there " or something similar. So I'll throw it back at you. Don't like the bike lanes, do go to church or drive through there!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'm saying it is a possibility, not a guarantee it is there. There are other options as well.

I have noticed a lot of your arguments center around telling people, "if you dont like it, dont work/live/go there " or something similar. So I'll throw it back at you. Don't like the bike lanes, do go to church or drive through there!
Maybe it's because I don't expect the world to change to suit my needs or wants. That's how I think society should work.

The church was there before the bike lane. There were cars parking there before the bike lane. It's not just church member using them, I'm sure. If a person never uses a bike lane, why must they change and have their rights and conveniences taken away because some bicyclists want to ride their bikes?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
They don't need to be riding their bikes in the street.

Why should they be forced to ride bikes?
You do realize that it is not legal to ride bicycles on the sidewalk. Right?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
You aren't. If you don't want to ride in a car, take public transportation. Or walk. Or don't work in a place that is difficult to get to.
Or churches could provide parking on their own property, instead of on public right of ways that are paid for by citizens who are paying taxes, unlike the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality