Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:31 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Why don't you guys at least throw out the bathwater ... or even failing that, just quit making claims that you have a superior morality and a new godly nature?
Because the bath water is soooo warm and bubbly.

I didn't know I was making claims of Christians having superior morality and a new godly nature.
For one who hates it when one misrepresents your stance, you sure take the cake bud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 11:37 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Einstein left Nazi Germany. As a German Jew, he was familiar with fanaticism. His views on faith changed over time.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:28 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Can you believe he said this??
It would be a lot easier to believe it if you included the work which it came from. A quick google turned up the meme over and over, but no original source. I have to say I agree mostly with that statement though. It's a tough thing to heal from and there is no peace for many who have escaped.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
As for Einstein, I'm sure he was a product of his era. One has to wonder how much he had to fear the religious, considering the work he did. His statement may be no more than covering his own ass.
That's probably the truth.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I didn't know I was making claims of Christians having superior morality and a new godly nature.
It is standard Christian doctrine. If any man be in Christ he is a new creation. Old things are passed away; all things are become new. It is in fact a central value proposition of Christianity. Is it a doctrine you deny?

If it is true one would expect Christians to be proportionally under-represented in prison populations, divorce stats. And one would expect even more of its leaders.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:04 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.

Albert Einstein

Old 11-01-2015, 12:11 AM

1,273 posts, read 991,427 times
Quote:
I laugh at the idea that atheists are angry at god. I wasn't spoonfed god. I never had to leave religion, it was not a part of my life. God is a story, no more real than Harry Potter.

As for Einstein, I'm sure he was a product of his era. One has to wonder how much he had to fear the religious, considering the work he did. His statement may be no more than covering his own ass.
Then you aren't the fanatical foaming at the mouth rabid atheists he's referring to.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:21 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yes, I can believe he said it.
Many atheists cut off their nose to spite their face.
They blame religion for all their problems not hearing the beautiful music.
Then they blame God for all their woes even though they say they don't believe in God.
They are mad at God even though they don't believe in God.
They are mad at Christians for believing what is written in the Scriptures even though they believe the Scriptures are fairy tales.

I'm not saying there isn't abuse out there, mental abuse by some ministers. There surely is. But why do they throw the baby out with the bath water?
What god? Never believed in one, so how can I blame one?

Now, that ignorant, superstitious, wandering desert tribe of goat herders, what makes you think that they had an insight that made their myths reality?

Old 11-01-2015, 02:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
I laugh at the idea that atheists are angry at god.
Indeed. The whole point of atheism is to deny god. So, anger? No. Not anger. What drives fundamentalist atheism? Maybe it's control issues. Maybe it's jealousy regarding the positive aspects of traditional religion to which the specific atheist has no access. It could be any number of things.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:40 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
On the other hand, he was living in a very liberal time regarding religion. It was decades before fundamentalism began to take over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality