Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM

282 posts, read 236,274 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't know a lot about Catholicism. That said, I understand that Catholics worship the Virgin Mary. Which is quite different than what the Bible calls for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 AM

205 posts, read 119,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I will try and deliver my thoughts as neutrally as possible.

I was born into a fairly devout "Irish" Catholic family in Long Island, New York (both sides). To qualify their devotion: I was baptised, took communion, and was confirmed, all on schedule. From age 5 or 6 until I was enrolled in Catholic school at age 12, I attended CCD classes, most led by my mother. Though my parents separated, they didn't formally divorce and neither pursued a relationship at all. My father hasn't even after my mother's passing. From 14-18, I attended an all-male Catholic school - one which educated my maternal uncles before me. One aunt is a principal at a local Catholic school. The other aunt is a devotional throwback that could have rivalled the piety of my Irish immigrant great-grandparents. And so on and so forth.

Long Island itself is heavily Catholic and will likely remain so. Upwardly mobile Irish and Italian immigrants moved out of NYC into the suburbs. They are being followed in the 21st century by Latin American immigrants.

That was too long of an intro.

My issues:
-Resenting my Catholic schooling didn't help. I was already a tightly-wound, should-have-had-psychological/therapeutic-help grade self-criticising, bullied shell of a boy. I didn't need a strict-conservative faculty + the testosterone/bravado of 1,600 middle/upper-middle class future frat boys to break that. I soon sported neurotic paranoia about having my shirt tucked in, triple checking that I copied homework down, and had my shirt collar buttoned down.

-Rather than deal with my issues, I immersed myself in history (a coping mechanism established in primary school). At that point in my life, I revelled in late Roman and Byzantine history. It was impossible to ignore that the RCC was the state Church of the Roman Empire - one of those fascinating cases where the institution outlived its host state. I saw less of the "Hand of God" and more "Hand of the Emperor". When you combine (certain) Protestant criticism/observation with the Mary worsh...I mean "veneration" + the saints + the neoclassical statuary, mosaics, vestments, and other adornments it makes sense. There's a mix of otherwise-lost Oriental mysticism mixed with Occidental power and grandeur.
-The above continued in my medieval history reading.

-My tenure as a HS student coincided with the height of the sexual abuse scandal. The juxtaposition of the Roman imperial will as well as what seems to have been a gang mentality of protecting abusers to protect the institution was not helpful.

-I just never connected with (any) god, and as such do not believe in the existence of any. As a child (seemingly) surrounded by the faithful (I didn't realise that atheists were a thing until late childhood), I thought I was broken for not hearing a literal voice of God.

-When a bolder student in HS asked a difficult question, "It's a mystery of faith" was not a suitable answer. I was even less impressed by the deference granted to and the monies expended for the almost lazily regarded "mysteries." You might detect some antipathy towards the laity/priestly hierarchy.

-Lack of historical evidence for a Jesus. The manipulation of Jesus to conform with whatever he is "needed" for, from arch-conservative to flaming hippie. My research on what fringe-millenarian Jewish preachers were like at the time suggest someone who'd make Benedict XVI/Ratzinger seem liberal.
My dear friend in Christ; we ought to swap stories some time.

I'm going to address only one of your statements?

Quote:
-I just never connected with (any) god, and as such do not believe in the existence of any.

What you are in effect telling me is that your attended a lot of Catholic Schools; but foe a variety of reason either were not taught; or did not understand and believed what you were taught on The Catholic Faith.

Its a story I have heard multiple times before.

So you choose not to believe "in any god"; how convenient. Such a contrived position than "allows" you to live your life any way that YOU choose too; and to believe ANYTHING you want; and to act-out seemingly without [at least immediate] consequences.

My friend, if you choose to dress yourself; that is to say to actually pick out what your wearing and THEN dress yourself; I believe that I can prove to you the existence of what you might choose to call "god"; but whom we choose to call "Our God."

Genesis 1:26-27 tells us the God Choose to make man in his own image:

[26] "And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth. [27] And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them."

John 4: 23-24 then adds to our knowledge "what God is"

[23]"But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true adorers shall adore the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeketh such to adore him. [24] God is a spirit; and they that adore him, must adore him in spirit and in truth."

So then we ask how can these two statements be reconciled? Or can they ?

In all of the Universe [which alone BTW proves the existence of a "god"], with BILLIONS of stars, planet and galaxies; there is only One planet that can be proven [not suspected of]; BUT proven to be able to support all of the life forms that exist on it. That one planet is "Planet Earth." What are the odds of that being coincidental?

Then on Plant earth with its MILLIONS of "living things"; their is only one thing that can rationalize; can freely choose to love or to hate; can construct far more complex things out of less complex things. Yep; its humanity, and humanity alone, What do you suppose the odds are of that just being luck or coincidence?

Here's where we tie the two realities together:

In order for man to be enabled to do the kind of things mentions above in an absolute sense require the following:

A MIND [not speaking here of one's brain]

A INTELLECT [not referencing here one's "I. Q."]

And a FREEWILL

Now permit me another question: "Can you [or anyone for that matter] quantify any of these three absolutely essential "things" for us? NO! you cannot. What for example is the size, weight, color and shape of your freewill? It can;t be done. WHY

Because in emulation of what we Catholics and Christian choose to term "Our God" these things too ARE spiritual realities. And that fulfills how man; and man alone can and DOES emulate our God.

So now that we have shown the logic behind Christianities belief in God; what other evidence exist that cannot be denied [without lying to oneself]?

Both the so called "natural laws" such as motion; & gravity as well as the Moral Laws such as "Thou Shalt Not kill" [the 5th Commandment BTW]; and thou Shalt not commit adultery [The 9th Commandment] are written on humanities minds and hearts and everyone CAN KNOW they are WRONG:

Why for example do the Sun and the Moon exist? And could very many earths living things exist without them? NO!

Jeremiah 31:33
"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord: I will give my law in their bowels, and I will write it in their heart: and I will be their God, and they shall be my people"

Hebrews 10:16
"And this is the testament which I will make unto them after those days, saith the Lord. I will give my laws in their hearts, and on their minds will I write them"

So friend you decision not to accept the reality of god or God is irrational and illogical. You, like each of us is free to choose: BUT not without consequence. Every action has and causes a reaction [another natural law[

Ecclesiasticus 15:18 "Before man is life and death, good and evil, that which he shall choose shall be given him"

God; heaven; hell and Purgatory are all real; and it is our what I term: our "Other self" our Spiritual realities of Mind, Intellect, freewill which ARE permanent attachments to our Souls; which like our God are eternal and immortal. Cannot die or be killed; and it is this part of man that will face God's Judgment. Amen!

You would do well to rethink the foolishness of your position.

God Bless you,
Patrick

Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 AM

205 posts, read 119,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm not a catholic because I believe religion is just an man-made relic of ancient times.
Please read the POST I just responed to right above your/e so I don't repeat myself

Old 12-11-2015, 10:38 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
I honestly don't know a lot about Catholicism. That said, I understand that Catholics worship the Virgin Mary. Which is quite different than what the Bible calls for.
You're understanding is incorrect and one that's far too common among non-Catholics.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:09 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
REALLY?

Why do you suppose your even able to be "logical"

God Bless you,

Patrick
We've already been over this, in case you've forgotten.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
So you choose not to believe "in any god"; how convenient. Such a contrived position than "allows" you to live your life any way that YOU choose too; and to believe ANYTHING you want; and to act-out seemingly without [at least immediate] consequences.
Well, how should Amelorn be living his/her life? The way that Patrick chooses? Why shouldn't Amelorn make his/her own choices? Why shouldn't Amelorn believe as s/he sees fit?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 AM

84 posts, read 70,743 times
I'm not particularly fond of the Catholic Church or community for a number of reasons (mostly cause of past experiences). One of those reasons are Catholics, or the ones I know, are hypocritics in denial. They use their faith to scorn others for their lifestyle choices and it turns out they're no better.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonxclovers View Post
I'm not particularly fond of the Catholic Church or community for a number of reasons (mostly cause of past experiences). One of those reasons are Catholics, or the ones I know, are hypocritics in denial. They use their faith to scorn others for their lifestyle choices and it turns out they're no better.
This is not unique to Catholics.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:51 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
One of their popes also decided that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute, although the Bible doesn't say that. It's my understanding that they were both held in high regard in the early days and the church is so wrapped up with the Maiden Mary, they didn't want any confusion between the two.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:17 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
You obviously don't know a lot about Catholicism because Catholics don't "worship" Mary. We only "worship" God. We obviously hold Mary in high esteem being the Mother of God, but that is different than worshiping her. Even praying the Rosary, where we pray with Mary reflecting on Jesus' life and ask her to pray for us, is not required by the Catholic Church but many choose to pray it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality