Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times

Advertisements

Bizarrely, placebos can still work, even when the person taking the placebo knows it's a placebo. At least according to this article:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-know-its-fake

Stunning, if you ask me.

So under the assumption that religion is a placebo, maybe an atheist like myself could still benefit from religion, even though I know it's fake.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Bizarrely, placebos can still work, even when the person taking the placebo knows it's a placebo. At least according to this article:

Stunning, if you ask me.

So under the assumption that religion is a placebo, maybe an atheist like myself could still benefit from religion, even though I know it's fake.

Thoughts?
Religion comes with responsibility and an effort to try to live your life by a certain code. It's not a pill.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:50 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Old philosopher Kant said that it's always safer to believe at least some, than none at all.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,680 times
Religion does have some benefits. One of them is a sense of community. If you are new to a town, you can probably even attend a church and tell them honestly "I'm just here to meet people" and they would probably still be cool with you. Some may still try to convert you, but you can give those ones the brushoff.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Religion comes with responsibility and an effort to try to live your life by a certain code. It's not a pill.
More like Kool-Aid.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:17 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Considering the bull droppings that you would have to sit through I can't imagine it being a positive experience.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:26 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:

Stunning, if you ask me.

Thoughts?
This is something atheism addressed some time ago. It is long known that Yoga and Buddhist meditation has beneficial effects and those effects can be benefitted even without the slightest religious trapping. The Theists never understand this, which is why one minister in the UK banned a Yoga class on church premises.

The De Botton initiative developed this idea that religion has benefits to offer. While I agree, I am always suspicious of this ploy being used as a pretext to keep religion on.

In fact that argument is as false as the old 'We need the Bible because it tells us good things' argument. We can work most of those out with humanist moraility. Indeed the Bible undoubtedly hi -jacked non Biiblical morality in the first place. But even if it has something new of value to offer - why..we can take it and say thanks ..and goodbye.

We humanists can take what is of value from the religions (if we don't have it already) and push the religion out of the door. We don't owe religion a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Religion does have some benefits. One of them is a sense of community. If you are new to a town, you can probably even attend a church and tell them honestly "I'm just here to meet people" and they would probably still be cool with you. Some may still try to convert you, but you can give those ones the brushoff.
Yes. That is something that religion offers. But, like charities, one has to ask - is that not something a secular organization could also do? I don't think it does it because these administrations are not atheist, frankly. They do not think logically or ethically. They think politically.

I mean their rationale is not 'What are we morally required to do?' It is 'What can we get away with not doing, without losing votes?'

P. s that perhaps is the reason I won't replace the term 'atheist' with something else. it is a Political ploy and as such it it, essentially, dishonest. And it sets my alarm bells off. Sam Harris had a an argument and a good one. But there are real good ethical reasons why we should not do it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-24-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,867,390 times
I know quite a few Jewish atheists that still get a lot out of Judaism, and not just the oneg after service.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Which "religion" are you talking about?

If it is Christianity (I don't consider Christianity a religion) then how do you know it is fake?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Which "religion" are you talking about?

If it is Christianity (I don't consider Christianity a religion) then how do you know it is fake?
First, you assess the honesty and rationality of its proponents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality