Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:57 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,179,531 times

Advertisements

The Christian God can do whatever he wants because he's a Powerful Badass that could miraculously kill any of us in an instant and then torture us for eternity.

Better not p**s him off.

That's fundamentalist Christian morality in essence: might makes right.

Even if he tells us to kill lots of people, we'd better do it, or else we'll suffer the consequences.

Of course, the all-powerful Christian God rarely gives commands to humans directly. He usually works through "middle men" for some strange reason. It couldn't possibly be that said middle men are power-hungry bullies with an insatiable lust for power and authority over others. No, that would just be a silly idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,210,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Christian God can do whatever he wants because he's a Powerful Badass that could miraculously kill any of us in an instant and then torture us for eternity.

Better not **** him off.

Even if he tells us to kill lots of people, we'd better do it, or else we'll suffer the consequences.

Of course, the all powerful Christian God rarely gives commands to humans directly. He usually works through "middle men" for some strange reason. It couldn't possibly be that said middle men are power-hungry bullies with an insatiable lust for power and authority over others. No, that would just be a silly idea.
I'm not aware of any Christian that holds to that position.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not aware of any Christian that holds to that position.
Really?

What about this:
//www.city-data.com/forum/41881029-post51.html

Old 12-02-2015, 12:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
I think Christians would have a lot less s'plainin' to do if they dropped the OT from their bibles and conferred Godhood on Jesus alone. (Although I know he purportedly had a badass side.)

Amalgamating the bloodthirsty mass murderer of the OT with a reasonably benign and loving Jesus and then tossing in an amorphous Holy Spirit to boot, simply left WAY too much nonsense to explain away.

Fundamentalists live in a simplistic black & white world where yes, ultimately, might = right. The rest of us prefer life in colour, or at least with multiple shadings of grey and where equality and fairness = right.

I take great solace in believing, with a growing degree of certainty, that Christian fundamentalism is in its death throes - killed by knowledge, common sense and basic human decency.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,323,858 times
Quote:

Better not p**s him off.

Of course, the all-powerful Christian God rarely gives commands to humans directly. He usually works through "middle men" for some strange reason. It couldn't possibly be that said middle men are power-hungry bullies with an insatiable lust for power and authority over others. No, that would just be a silly idea.

I am not aware of any Christian who maintains that position.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am aware of at least one.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:21 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,323,858 times
From my reading of the Bible I also see a big difference between the OT and NT and tend to take my understanding of Christianity from the NT.

As I read the OT, time after time God said either personally or through a prophet something like "Love me like David loved me" or "Follow my rules" and I will bless you. Time after time. And hard headed humanity of the chosen people did not and He said again "Love me...Follow my rules... or I will destroy you, scatter you, etc".

Seems fair warning to me. So I don't put too much worry in the destruction stories in the OT.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
From my reading of the Bible I also see a big difference between the OT and NT and tend to take my understanding of Christianity from the NT.

As I read the OT, time after time God said either personally or through a prophet something like "Love me like David loved me" or "Follow my rules" and I will bless you. Time after time. And hard headed humanity of the chosen people did not and He said again "Love me...Follow my rules... or I will destroy you, scatter you, etc".

Seems fair warning to me. So I don't put too much worry in the destruction stories in the OT.
You're kidding...

Old 12-02-2015, 12:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times
Quote:
Not overtly, but when you distill their theology that's what it amounts to.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,660,952 times
Quote:

Better not p**s him off.

It isn't "Might Makes Right"...it is "Might Makes Rules".
That's the way this world has always typically been, is now, and always will be.
Who doesn't know that?
It has been written that the Jehovah character has conscripted many throughout human history. That's the story anyway.
I don't believe it, myself. I thought you didn't either...it is strange to see someone constantly and obsessively go off about things they claim never happened and people/entities they claim never existed. Very strange...very,very strange. That's why I like it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality