Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 11:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Um, LOL.

You're going to have to forgive me to not see some quote attributed to nobody but "Wordpress" as still questionable.

Who is this Mary Loudon? Would you mind providing me with the link where you got this so I can have a peek? Again, what we have here is hearsay but perhaps there's some solid backing in there somewhere...I won't know until I can have a look. There may be a context here - i.e. perhaps the person was speaking about someone who was literally imminently dying...but of course perhaps not, so a link would be a huge help. I appreciate it very much.
Go ahead and read for yourself. The information is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Go ahead and read for yourself. The information is out there.
No, all I see when I Google the quote you gave is a lot of opinion blogs. You are making the assertion. It is on you to support it. Otherwise, it's a lot of gossip with no actual context...not proof or evidence.

If you can't back up your claim that's okay. I won't badger you if that's the case, just say so. But if not, then please feel free to provide support for your assertion (rather than c&p'd "quotes" going from one blog to the next to the next).

I appreciate your efforts.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, all I see when I Google the quote you gave is a lot of opinion blogs. You are making the assertion. It is on you to support it. Otherwise, it's a lot of gossip with no actual context...not proof or evidence.

If you can't back up your claim that's okay. I won't badger you if that's the case, just say so. But if not, then please feel free to provide support for your assertion (rather than c&p'd "quotes" going from one blog to the next to the next).

I appreciate your efforts.
You could google the name. You could google the nun's name. You don't want to. You want to stick your fingers in your ears and go nee nee nee nobody's hearing nothing. And in that way, you may comfortably remain ignorant.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You could google the name. You could google the nun's name. You don't want to. You want to stick your fingers in your ears and go nee nee nee nobody's hearing nothing. And in that way, you may comfortably remain ignorant.
As I already stated, but you did not read, I did in fact Google, and got opinion blog after opinion blog based on hearsay "reported" in one specific book (with no context and no evidence that the bloggers even read the entire book...or any of it), not proof.

You could provide proof to back up what you're saying (if it exists), but instead you fall back on making claims that I'm not doing your research for you. And in that way, you may comfortably remain a gossip-spreader without ever having to back up the claims you've seen copied and pasted.

You're aware on whom the burden of proof is in an assertion, correct? You're aware of the definitions of evidence and proof, right? If not, let me know and I will help you out with that, and we can go from there.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:14 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then you are NOT seeing the image of MT that prevails among the masses, NOT YOUR particular itch that needs to be scratched because of your acceptance of the negative opinions and accusations of her haters. If you succeed in your campaign to destroy her generic image among the masses with your "truth" you will, in essence, be creating your own self-fulfilling prophecy to justify your disparagement. Your view is NOT the generic view of MT. Get over it and stop trying to destroy the positive image that exists with YOUR truth.
Quote:
So wait. Promoting an image that is based on a LIE is a good thing?
NO. I am not promoting anything. The image already EXISTS, is widespread and it is a positive and inspiring one. YOU are promoting an ugly one for reasons not entirely clear to me. What will your image accomplish for humanity that is somehow better than the existing one???

Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Then you are NOT seeing the image of MT that prevails among the masses, NOT YOUR particular itch that needs to be scratched because of your acceptance of the negative opinions and accusations of her haters. If you succeed in your campaign to destroy her generic image among the masses with your "truth" you will, in essence, be creating your own self-fulfilling prophecy to justify your disparagement. Your view is NOT the generic view of MT. Get over it and stop trying to destroy the positive image that exists with YOUR truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that an image is valid and right because it is a popular unexamined impression? Even if it cloaks a less savory reality?
Allrighty then.
You are smarter than that, mordant. You refuse to see that what you seek to do is damage an EXISTING positive and inspirational meme and replace it with your ugly, negative and destructive one for reasons only you are privy to. What do you want this ugliness to do for humanity???

Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Didn't need to read the articles. I wasn't a follower of motherTeresa. What she did,may not have done,right,wrong,mean,loving has no bearing on any of us. Your not into the world of religion and your not paying taxs to support them. Your mean spirited plain and simple.
Read as:
"I don't care about the truth. *******."

Christopher Hitchens wrote and talked a bit about Mother Teresa. You can see a dialogue here:
http://www.philosophy-religion.org/w...er-Theresa.pdf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Hitchens
-The care facilities are grotesquely simple: rudimentary, unscientific, miles behind any modern conception
of what medical science is supposed to do. There have been a number of articles*‐*I've collected some more since my
book came out*‐*about the failure and primitivism of her treatment of lepers and the dying, of her attitude towards
medication and prophylaxis. Very rightly is it said that she tends to the dying, because if you were doing anything but
dying she hasn't really got much to offer.**-

-This is interesting because, first, she only proclaims to be providing people with a Catholic death, and, second,
because of the enormous amounts of money mainly donated to rather than raised by her Order.-

-She was in charge of taking the money to
the bank. She estimates that there must be $50 million in that bank account alone.-
This isn't new news and I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would naively defend her.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
NO. I am not promoting anything. The image already EXISTS, is widespread and it is a positive and inspiring one. YOU are promoting an ugly one for reasons not entirely clear to me. What will your image accomplish for humanity that is somehow better than the existing one???
It is also wrong. I don't know. I kinda like the truth. I tend to like to make my judgements based on that. I tend to think that is a GOOD thing, not burying my head in the sand so I can continue to believe a lie.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:20 AM

And cupper: though somebodynew has picked up your torch for you with a deflection (it doesn't exactly address your first bullet point but rather kind of takes a spin off it), I still await your own evidence/proof of that first assertion, as you stated you would like to discuss it. So, I will await your reply; thanks very much.

Quote:
It is also wrong. I don't know. I kinda like the truth. I tend to like to make my judgements based on that. I tend to think that is a GOOD thing, not burying my head in the sand so I can continue to believe a lie.
Somebodynew: I like the truth too. Very much. Much more than gossip and opinion blogs. So I await your evidence as well, not just vague blog quote-spreading and "well, look it up yourself". Thank you.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:33 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
It is reality based and not false.

You appear to be of the opinion that a positive impression, however erroneous, is more important than an accurate one. I have always felt that dealing in reality produces overall superior results.

In any case I am not demonizing MT so much as taking her down off her Pedestal of Worship (tm). She did some nice things and largely meant well ... but also did some really bad things and, I think, given the rationalizations provided by her belief system, justified them as conformant to dogma rather than moral in terms of societal mores and human rights.

I don't give her a zero or negative score ... maybe 25 out of 100. I would be delighted if people would quit giving her a score of 100 as if she were entitled to it. If society could cut it down to a dull roar of like, 75, that would at least leave some room for objectivity instead of slathering hero worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality