Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times

Advertisements

Young Earth Creationist will run Arizona Senate education panel / Boing Boing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:58 AM

67 posts, read 46,266 times
How scary is that? YECs are CRAZY!

Old 12-27-2015, 08:19 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ50 View Post
In this case it goes beyond Young-Eartherism. She's also a chemtrail nutter.

Quote:
In March 2013, she wrote an addled Facebook post about her belief the government was purposely poisoning its citizens with chemicals sprayed by airplanes, confusing white contrails left by aircraft with chemical trails.

“Ok, I do not want to get into a debate about weather. However, I know what I see weekly up here on the flat where I live outside of Snowflake. The planes usely (sic), three or four, fly a grid across the sky and leave long white trails streaming behind them. I have watched the chem-trails move out until the entire sky is covered with flimsy, thin cloud cover,” she wrote. “Things are happening all around us that we see everyday and just don’t get what it is. I think we throw the ‘conspiracy theory’ at people when we don’t understand or have the information they have so we try and explain it that way.”
Arizona GOP taps creationist chemtrail truther to lead Senate education committee

She's a classic example of willful ignorance combined with the intense dislike of science that typifies a certain large segment of social conservatives, mainly because science is the vehicle for social change in that it demonstrates where we as a society have been doing things wrong and suggests better courses of action. This upsets those who are adamantly opposed to change (as William F. Buckley once proudly stated, those "standing athwart history, yelling 'Stop!'").

Is anyone remotely surprised that the Arizona power structure has decided that this woman, imbued with natural ignorance and obstinately opposed to reality, should run a committee empowered with overseeing the education of the state's youth?

I'm not. Not one bit.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:45 AM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
She also believes in "mandatory church attendance", which makes her a fascist or at least a proto-fascist. Although often such positions are held in isolation from one another as if they all stand alone, and thus, they never get implemented and possibly she doesn't really expect them to. They are, as largely with Trump, just ways to stir her base. But certainly such a person helming educational policy in any way is a disaster.

I would never say that a theist could not make a good education policy chief ... some of them are compartmentalized and intelligent enough that they can still do such jobs with integrity. But total wing nuts like this?? Unless she's a total cynical manipulator who doesn't care if she acts consistently with her beliefs, she can't possibly not do education some harm. Although as a former citizen of AZ I have to say the educational system is pretty harmed already. And also, a lot of the nutters seem to come from the Snowflake / Show Low area. Nice mix of standard fundies and conservative Mormons as I recall.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Best thing that would happen is she runs, and is schlonged by a severally, normal, rational candidate.

(I finally found a way to use that Trump nutism. . )

Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
It's what happens when you let people think that 'beliefs' should be 'respected'.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ50 View Post
Extremely Scary!

"You won't need to much persuading
I don't mean to sound degrading
But with a face like that
You got nothing to laugh about

Red lips hair and fingernails
I hear your a mean old Jezebel"

It is comforting to imagine that the people of Arizona cannot possibly be as stupid as their legislators.

Arizona GOP taps creationist chemtrail truther to lead Senate education committee

Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Extremely Scary!

"You won't need to much persuading
I don't mean to sound degrading
But with a face like that
You got nothing to laugh about

Red lips hair and fingernails
I hear your a mean old Jezebel"

It is comforting to imagine that the people of Arizona cannot possibly be as stupid as their legislators.

And I thought the white trails I saw streaming from the wingtips of the Malaysian airlines Jumbo when looking out of the window were merely condensation trails. If only I had known that they were spreading chemicals, I'd have demanded the Pilot turn then off Right Now!

Old 12-27-2015, 09:57 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Why so many wingnuts in AZ?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:49 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It's what happens when you let people think that 'beliefs' should be 'respected'.
Rafius???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality