Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
It's the 21st century for Christ's sake, why would anyone in the developed world be religious?
The more basic question is what itch does religion scratch, however imperfectly? It is just one way to ease existential angst, the fear of death, dissolution, insignificance and alienation. Religion's relevance and potency in such projects is getting more and more diluted in the 21st century but it is far from marginalized or irrelevant, at least for many personality types, just yet.

People who really, really want and need to believe things that they find comforting will be highly resistant to any facts, evidence or argument that contradicts their beliefs. This is not just true of religious beliefs. Studies show that once an opinion has been formed, even a snap judgment, many people cling to it and ignore all sorts of data pointing in the opposite direction. Because they have a lot more trust in snap judgments than in often counterintuitive facts.

This didn't go away just because the calendar ticked over into a new century.

We are at the stage now in western democratic republics where we are just getting the more conservative religious and political types to tolerate a bit of discomfort and uncertainty and the presence of people with different beliefs. Step one is for them to accept, like it or not, that the old regime of their treasured beliefs never being questioned or argued against, is over forever, as is their special status of never having to make a lick of sense. Step two is for them to accept, despite it not being intuitive, that the existence of dissent or lack of mindlessly embracing their ideas does not constitute an existential threat. Step three, that letting the Other be as s/he is, doesn't constitute "condoning" or "agreeing" with things you don't believe, it is simple humanity. Step four, converts are to be won by actual persuasion rather than coercion. Step five, understanding what "actual persuasion" consists of. Step six, introspection about what you actually believe and how to make one's beliefs compelling while remaining both humane and intellectually honest.

Rome wasn't built in a day but if you look at the sweep of human history from say 1516 to 2016, I'd say we are making steady progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We are at the stage now in western democratic republics where we are just getting the more conservative religious and political types to tolerate a bit of discomfort and uncertainty and the presence of people with different beliefs. Step one is for them to accept, like it or not, that the old regime of their treasured beliefs never being questioned or argued against, is over forever, as is their special status of never having to make a lick of sense. Step two is for them to accept, despite it not being intuitive, that the existence of dissent or lack of mindlessly embracing their ideas does not constitute an existential threat. Step three, that letting the Other be as s/he is, doesn't constitute "condoning" or "agreeing" with things you don't believe, it is simple humanity. Step four, converts are to be won by actual persuasion rather than coercion. Step five, understanding what "actual persuasion" consists of. Step six, introspection about what you actually believe and how to make one's beliefs compelling while remaining both humane and intellectually honest.

Rome wasn't built in a day but if you look at the sweep of human history from say 1516 to 2016, I'd say we are making steady progress.
From your post to God's ears!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I think monks monkey around
what about... serious and complete religious devotees not "spending" their time monkeying around (I suppose, unless instructed to via Devine inspiration)?

Old 01-25-2016, 05:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
It's the 21st century for Christ's sake, why would anyone in the developed world be religious?
we are social animals with emotions. Also, we need some type a validation and hanging around like minded people offers that. I don't see a problem with a group of people expressing their feeling of gratitude or offering hope to others either. False hope can bring real strength, I cannot dismiss that observation. Its emergence.

Now, why would anybody be part of a literal religion that has the bible idol? That befuddles me. To be honest, tht aint hard to do tho.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:50 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Re: 'Europe is rejecting religion but still gives it too much credit.......As soon as the millions going in to peddling Biblecrap to other countries, then they will start to wake up.'

You know I'd say that there are European countries notably in Eastern Europe who are going the 'other way' relative to Britain and the Nordic areas. That's in response to the perceived Islamist threat. Religion tied up with nationalism is the hot thing now. Non belief has a way yo go there for the foreseeable future.

And as for those 'evangelists' I have to figure there's been a dropoff considering the state of society in those areas where they go hunting. If they do go boy they've thrown rationality to the winds. It's rough out there in the 'religious world. Pretty soon boxing with clerics and evangelists signing up will be the new prep!

Old 01-29-2016, 06:48 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
religion was invented to control the ignorant masses, these days people are more educated and can think for themselves, church congregations are shrinking, or have already shrunk, to an all time low, now people only go to church for a wedding or a christening and even that is only "a show for the neighbours"!!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:23 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Re: 'Rome wasn't built in a day but if you look at the sweep of human history from say 1516 to 2016, I'd say we are making steady progress'

And I'd just suggest that progression is part and parcel of experiencing the waves and troughs of history as we bob around trying gloriously and energetically in trying to make sense of both worlds we inhabit which is the exterior and interior. Where this goes is anyone's guess.
This is all a long work in progress.

For myself, the only thing I fear is not non-belief per se but the responses to it. From a religious point of view it appears to me the flirtation with non-belief has not been responded to in any forceful way considering some changes in acceptance. It's like business as usual. But indeed if non-belief makes great inroads to such an extent that the 'last' becomes 'first' then the battle commences. It will be an interesting battle for sure!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
Britain is very much a secular country these days as far as the white population is concerned, most would say they havent got the time to bother to go to church, that's pretty much their argument for anything these days....too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality