Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:23 AM

20,072 posts, read 13,535,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I suppose you think all the gang bangers in prisons are highly religious too.
I wouldn't presume to know the inner life and beliefs of total strangers.

Even gang members can have religious backgrounds and beliefs, however misappropriated and misapplied they may be. Hispanic gangs would by definition be largely Catholic for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I wouldn't presume to know the inner life and beliefs of total strangers.

Even gang members can have religious backgrounds and beliefs, however misappropriated and misapplied they may be. Hispanic gangs would by definition be largely Catholic for example.
Oh well...not Real Christians by definition.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:40 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
How did we get this far off from "Christianity and free will"?

If you really stop and think about it, even God does not have free will. He does have a will, the will of the spirit. God can't do things contrary to His nature which is love. Therefore He is not free to do things against His nature.
So we can scratch one omni off your omni-gods title Eusebi?

Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 PM

20,072 posts, read 13,535,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So we can scratch one omni off your omni-gods title Eusebi?
Of the three omnis that the Problem of Evil posits as logically incompatible with human suffering, Eusebeus has already established that omnibenvolence is what he throws under the bus to save his theodicy. God uses evil to his ends and is not bound by his own moral precepts.

Of course an omnipotent god would be rendered less than omnipotent by being limited in exercising his will so perhaps that has gone by the wayside too.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,781,990 times
The bullet is being presented for biting. Eventually one has to God cannot be good by any morality of ours (you may recall my old argument that Christians judge his actions by human morality when they have to excuse, justify or blame them on someone else) orr the morality handed down o us, and either do the exccuses, refuse to discus it it bite the bullet: God is good because he says so.

Eusebius arrives at the same point by another path: to be contrained by morality limits the power of God.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,940,977 times
I choose to seek God's guidance because I trust Him and he has been faithful to me.
Jesus provided the means to be in fellowship with God, a means to be obedient .
It still is a choice ,even neglect is a choice ,but it's a poor one .
God knows our potentials, and there are various directions one might choose ,each with different outcomes .
A man's ultimate destiny is not always sealed , most often there is at some point in the life, an opportunity to make a connection. That opportunity door can close at any time.
Much like a cancer that is taking over a body ,there is a point that recovery is to thin to have much value in life.
There is a difference between those that make excuses, and blame every thing , and those that acknowledge their failures, and seek desperately to over come them.
God does not waste time trying to teach the egocentric ,no matter how much or little education he has . Most of the time the egocentric are only interested in manipulating God ,not yielding to Him.
And religious education is not equivalent to a relationship with Him, in the slightest.
God is not bound to the laws of physics, nor the laws of men for that matter, and so long as people insist on trying to bind God to those things, they have nothing.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Free Will is gods kryptonite.

All started falling apart at the angel creation phase failed by 1/3rd.

Didn't learn from that experiment so created more with the same defect with the same outcome.

Maybe we can scratch off two omni's from gods title.

What do you think Eusebius?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:12 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
And religious education is not equivalent to a relationship with Him, in the slightest.

God is not bound to the laws of physics, nor the laws of men for that matter, and so long as people insist on trying to bind God to those things, they have nothing.
Altogether great post! I just wanted to repeat these two, the first because of its relationship to another ongoing discussion, and the second because of its statement in regard to the OP....another aspect of my original post in this thread.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Free Will is gods kryptonite.

All started falling apart at the angel creation phase failed by 1/3rd.

Didn't learn from that experiment so created more with the same defect with the same outcome.

Maybe we can scratch off two omni's from gods title.

What do you think Eusebius?
Not that I am interested in racking up omni's for God who doesn't really need them, but you seem to be focussed on results rather than process.....BOring.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not that I am interested in racking up omni's for God who doesn't really need them, but you seem to be focussed on results rather than process.....BOring.
Well I guess I should be gratefull it got the results and the process correct for oxygen, huh?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 04-18-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality