Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 PM

950 posts, read 692,241 times

Advertisements

The word, syncretism, means when two religions are combined and merge into each other. An interesting example is the Haitian Syncretism which combines Catholicism with Voodooism. Does anybody here on the forum practice this syncretism? It happened after the Haitian Revolution, and was eventually made the official religion under the leadership of Henri Christophe.

So I was wondering if anybody on this forum practices this syncretism, and could hopefully make an explanatory post about the beliefs and rituals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
No, but I have cast voodoo demons out of people before. Saw two little girls raised up off the floor by them about a foot, too. Any form of witchcraft is stunningly real and real nasty to deal with. RUN

Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Most major religions utilize massive doses of what by pretty much any definition would be called "magic". Prayer (calling upon and petitioning a supernatural entity), eating a wafer that has magically transformed into the flesh of a now-dead person, drinking the wine which has been transmigrated as well (actually, these are both basically a spirit "possession" of objects), or if literal transmigration is not believed, the ritual ingestion of food/drink in order to attain unity with otherwordly beings (in other words, the object itself is magic and can effect spirit communication/betterment of the person ingesting it/"cleansing" of the person via ingestion of the magic object), chanting memorized verses in order to attain an altered state of consciousness and conjure entities, for a few varieties - speaking in tongues (possession of the body by an entity), a risen dead body made alive again, "cleansing" via ritual and special magical water as well as a set of chants (baptism), the burning of candles to focus one's metaphysical energies (prayer, for example), possessed objects (crying/bleeding statues), ritual magic objects which must be "called upon" in a specific format and order (i.e. the rosary), visions of non-physical entities (some claim they have "seen" angels, as an example), they're really all magic.

Voodoo is another form of magic, yes.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:10 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
The word, syncretism, means when two religions are combined and merge into each other. An interesting example is the Haitian Syncretism which combines Catholicism with Voodooism. Does anybody here on the forum practice this syncretism? It happened after the Haitian Revolution, and was eventually made the official religion under the leadership of Henri Christophe.

So I was wondering if anybody on this forum practices this syncretism, and could hopefully make an explanatory post about the beliefs and rituals.
I haven't had firsthand experience with it, but I was in a ten-week writers workshop (nonfiction) in which we critiqued one another's work. One woman submitted as her workshop piece an explanation of Haitian Voodoo, or Voudon, as it is actually written. I still have it somewhere. She was born in Haiti.

What struck me was the parallel between the initiation into the religion and certain Christian sects that came out of the southern U.S. The initiates don white robes and wade into a body of water in which herbs are strewn. They are then immersed in the water, and they come up and raise their hands upward crying out for the Loa to come down upon them. The Loa are a realm of spirits between humans and God who interact with the humans. These are the ones who were given Catholic Saint names when the practitioners had to hide their religion and pretend to be Catholic. What is interesting that it went the other way sometimes, too--some Catholic saints became part of the Loa.

According to this woman (I kept her article and have it somewhere), practices that harm others are dangerous and have nothing to do with the usual daily practices of Voudon. People who do things meant to harm others may bring bad things upon themselves. Most of the time it is to get information or to serve and be served by the Loa in some way.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Most major religions utilize massive doses of what by pretty much any definition would be called "magic". Prayer (calling upon and petitioning a supernatural entity), eating a wafer that has magically transformed into the flesh of a now-dead person, drinking the wine which has been transmigrated as well (actually, these are both basically a spirit "possession" of objects), or if literal transmigration is not believed, the ritual ingestion of food/drink in order to attain unity with otherwordly beings (in other words, the object itself is magic and can effect spirit communication/betterment of the person ingesting it/"cleansing" of the person via ingestion of the magic object), chanting memorized verses in order to attain an altered state of consciousness and conjure entities, for a few varieties - speaking in tongues (possession of the body by an entity), a risen dead body made alive again, "cleansing" via ritual and special magical water as well as a set of chants (baptism), the burning of candles to focus one's metaphysical energies (prayer, for example), possessed objects (crying/bleeding statues), ritual magic objects which must be "called upon" in a specific format and order (i.e. the rosary), visions of non-physical entities (some claim they have "seen" angels, as an example), they're really all magic.

Voodoo is another form of magic, yes.
Good post. Such practices inspired the Quaker John Greenleaf Whittier's poem, The Brewing of Soma (Soma was a drug used in the Vedic religion to attain contact with the divine). The poem admonishes Christians to just a live a quiet life of example and listening to God from within oneself in silence ("The Inner Light", as the Friends call it) rather than participating in rituals or other practices such as described above. Christians will recognize the last six stanzas as a well-known hymn.

The Brewing of Soma

"These libations mixed with milk have
been prepared for Indra: offer Soma to the
drinker of Some." Vashista, translated
by Max Muller.

The fagots blazed, the caldron's
smoke
Up through the green wood curled;
"Bring honey from the hollow oak,
Brink milky sap," the brewers spoke,
In the childhood of the world.

And brewed they well or brewed they ill,
The priests thrust in their rods,
First tasted, and then drank their fill,
And shouted, with one voice and will,
"Behold, the drink of the gods!"

They drank, and lo! in heart and brain
A new, glad life began;
They grew of hair grew young again,
The sick man laughed away his pain,
The cripple leaped and ran.

"Drink, mortals, what the gods have sent,
Forget you long annoy."
So sang the priests, From tent to tent
The Soma's sacred madness went,
A storm of drunken joy.

Then knew each rapt inebriate
A winged and glorious birth,
Soared upward, with strange joy elate,
Beat, with dazed head, Varuna's gate,
And sobered, sank to earth.

The land with Soma's praises rang;
On Gihon's banks of shade
Its hymns the dusky maidens sang;
In joy of life or mortal pang
All men to Soma prayed.

The morning twilight of the race
Sends down these matin psalms;
And still with wondering eyes we trace
The simple prayers to Soma's grace,
That verdic verse embalms.

As in the child-world's early year,
Each after age has striven
By music, incense, vigils drear,
And trance, to bring the skies more near,
Or life men up to heaven!

Some fever of the blood and brain,
Some self-exalting spell,
The scourger's keen delight of pain,
the Dervish dance, the Orphic strain,
The wild-haired Bacchant's yell, -

The desert's hair-grown hermit sunk
The saner brute below;
The naked Santon, haschish-drunk,
The cloister madness of the monk,
The fakir's torture show!

And yet the past comes round again,
And new doth old fulfill;
In sensual transports wild as vain
We brew in many a Christian fane
The heathen Soma still!

Dear Lord and Father of mankind,
Forgive our foolish ways!
Reclothe us in our rightful mind,
In purer lives Thy service find,
In deeper reverence, praise.

In simple trust like theirs who heard
Beside the Syrian sea
The gracious calling of the Lord,
Let us, like them, without a word
Rise up and follow Thee.

O Sabbath rest by Galilee!
O calm of hills above,
Where Jesus knelt to share with Thee
The silence of eternity
Interpreted by love!

With that deep hush subduing all
Our words and works that drown
The tender whisper of Thy call,
And noiseless let Thy blessing fall
As fell Thy manna down.

Drop thy still dews of quietness,
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
Thy beauty of Thy peace.

Breathe through the hearts of our desire
Thy coolness and Thy balm;
Let sense be numb, let flesh retire;
Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
O still, small voice of calm!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
There's a muscle relaxant called Soma.

read the poem and think of that.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There's a muscle relaxant called Soma.

read the poem and think of that.
Probably where it comes from. No one knows for sure today what Soma was. Some say cannabis, others say it was from a root that grows in India. I read all about Soma, after finding the poem, after reading about Whittier, after doing some research on New England abolitionists...one thing leads to another and I end up getting distracted and on a totally different subject than the one I intended to research!

Oh, and we in America sing Dear Lord and Father of Mankind to a different tune than do the English. Both are lovely. Look them up on YouTube.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read all about Soma, after finding the poem, after reading about Whittier, after doing some research on New England abolitionists...one thing leads to another and I end up getting distracted and on a totally different subject than the one I intended to research!
I do that. Lol...we are definitely sisters.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
No, but I have cast voodoo demons out of people before. Saw two little girls raised up off the floor by them about a foot, too. Any form of witchcraft is stunningly real and real nasty to deal with. RUN
I've heard a claim like yours before, and it turned out to be fake. INVESTIGATE

But I've seen Buddhist monks cast Christian demons out of people before. It requires them [either party] to be the gullible or self-agrandizing type. With me it was three little girls and they were raised only about 6 inches from the floor for about two minutes as this particular Buddhist monk rebuked the deluded and jealous Diva Jesus and his demon hoards who were teaching evil aspects found within Abrahamism. But the floor turned pitch black and it stank like sulfur. The Ex-chrsitian little girls did become a lot better and more studious people after that exorcism though. They were able to educate their Christian parents and bring them back to the Buddhism that their great-grandparents used to have. They bettered the whole family really, there was a lot less evil weight in the air in the whole neighborhood after that.

Back in the Protestant Reformation times in Europe, Protestant priests couldn't exercise most "possessed" Catholics and Catholic priests couldn't exorcise most "possessed" Protestants. It depended on the willingness of the participating people to perform within the artistic act either faithfully or ignorantly depending on who they wanted to favor.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-29-2016 at 01:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality