Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never argued for a theocracy. Do you realize that?
I'm all for religious freedom, as long as that freedom doesn't take away someone else's freedom. You can't set up a system where anyone can do anything and just claim "my religion says..." and get away with discrimination or worse.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
If you say so.
It's that SCOTUS says so.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm all for religious freedom, as long as that freedom doesn't take away someone else's freedom. You can't set up a system where anyone can do anything and just claim "my religion says..." and get away with discrimination or worse.
Exactly. Is this so hard to understand? Worship how you (not denverian; the general "you") want to at your house, in your church...pray at the table when you go out to eat...grab your kid and pray before the soccer game...that's fine, who cares? Well, you do so please have at it. That's what religious freedom is actually all about...you get to choose.

But by the same token, so do I. When you impose your religion upon me and my children with laws, education and so on - and yes, denial of goods and services - then you take my religious freedom and the term becomes meaningless.

I really don't get why this is such a HARD concept for the very religious.

If I am literally going to be refused services because I don't fold my hands the way you do and follow your exact code, that is now, yes, discriminatory...and also unlawful, so...sorry.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yet, the 1st Amendment says that we have the freedom of religion. Your desire for a cake cannot supercede my 1st Amendment rights to follow my convictions.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
These guys are giving bakers a bad name. No one should have to go into a store, and be refused service because they are LGBTQ.

You come to me for a cake. Your sexual identity is moot. It seems only Christian bakers have cake gaydar. My cake gaydar is broken. Or, it might be covered in buttercream.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
These guys are giving bakers a bad name. No one should have to go into a store, and be refused service because they are LGBTQ.
I agree. And to my knowledge, no one has.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

You come to me for a cake. Your sexual identity is moot. It seems only Christian bakers have cake gaydar. My cake gaydar is broken. Or, it might be covered in buttercream.
Yeah, I mean how do they KNOW it's a gay cake?

It looks tasteful?

I agree, what is it with the focus on bakers...LOL...I mean I don't mean to laugh but this HAS become pretty funny at least on this forum, all the screaming and bursting into tears because bakers HAVE to bake cakes for non-heterosexuals.

It's. A. Cake.

It probably never deserved this amount of attention, LOL.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Yet, the 1st Amendment says that we have the freedom of religion. Your desire for a cake cannot supercede my 1st Amendment rights to follow my convictions.
Wrong. Your religious freedom to believe that my homosexual marriage is sinful does not supercede my right to not be illegally discriminated against.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Wrong. Your religious freedom to believe that my homosexual marriage is sinful does not supercede my right to not be illegally discriminated against.
No one is saying that you can't buy a cake. Nor do you have a constitutional right to a cake.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yeah, I mean how do they KNOW it's a gay cake?

It looks tasteful?

I agree, what is it with the focus on bakers...LOL...I mean I don't mean to laugh but this HAS become pretty funny at least on this forum, all the screaming and bursting into tears because bakers HAVE to bake cakes for non-heterosexuals.

It's. A. Cake.

It probably never deserved this amount of attention, LOL.
I think the outrage is hilarious. The discrimination is no laughing matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality