Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No. I'm not suggesting they don't...they do.
But simply because Buyers in a "free enterprise system" necessarily have a completely free choice (for any reason whatsoever) of who they will or will not transact business with...the only "fair and equal" way is to allow the Sellers the same completely free choice.
Do we want it "equal", or not?
It isn't always homo & hetero, black & white, male & female, Muslim and Jew...but there is ALWAYS Buyer & Seller. It is between the Buyers and Sellers, in general, that there needs to be equity and fairness.
The Seller should not be legally forced to act toward the Buyer any way the Buyer is legally permitted to act otherwise to the Seller.
The law does not require a seller to do business with any buyer, whether they want to or not. For example, if the customer walks in drunk, smelly, half-dressed and belligerent, the bakery owner is free to ask them to leave. That's no problem at all.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah, Gldn. You cannot ignore history and all the evils such so-called "equity and fairness" produced in extreme inequity and unfairness because humans can be bigoted. Sorry, friend, you are wrong about this one. The public is the public and any business serving the public cannot unfairly discriminate against "categories" of people. Individuals and their specific behaviors, etc. can be legitimate grounds for refusal to serve, but NOT category or group.
Yeah...Rotten people mess up the whole thing.
I guess...in a perfect world we wouldn't have any of these problems to begin with.
We need to get to that "Love Each Other" maxim. That would square it all away!

Trouble is, now, the Buyers CAN discriminate...no law against that. Only law is against the Sellers conduct.
I guess they see it as the one doing the paying is "The Superior" of the one being paid.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Ya know...my business serves the "wedding industry" too...all the time!
It has hosted thousands of "Bachelor Parties".
Yes Vizini from Guilder, but you have been thrown out of places because of your business. I find that appalling. I would never reject you for your chosen profession. Ever.

In Act II, I bake cakes. I pass judgement on cake. I am very judgemental when it comes to cake. I am militant about ingredients, among other things. If we have delicious cake in common, everything else can be put in perspective.

We had a moist lemon pound cake, with fresh strawberries, and homemade whipped cream tonight. It was a small slice of Heaven.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The law does not require a seller to do business with any buyer, whether they want to or not. For example, if the customer walks in drunk, smelly, half-dressed and belligerent, the bakery owner is free to ask them to leave. That's no problem at all.
I'm not talking about a disorderly patron situation...and you know that.
As it is now...Buyers can OPENLY discriminate against Sellers. No law against that.
You could gather up goods in a store...go to the checkout...look at the person and exclaim "I don't do business with (insert epithet) people like you". Leave the stuff right there on the counter...and walk out.
Perfectly legal.
But the Seller MUST sell to the Buyer...barring the rare disorderly person. Not fair.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Yes Vizini from Guilder, but you have been thrown out of places because of your business. I find that appalling. I would never reject you for your chosen profession. Ever.

In Act II, I bake cakes. I pass judgement on cake. I am very judgemental when it comes to cake. I am militant about ingredients, among other things. If we have delicious cake in common, everything else can be put in perspective.

We had a moist lemon pound cake, with fresh strawberries, and homemade whipped cream tonight. It was a small slice of Heaven.
Yeah...especially since after over a quarter century...so many people have had some girl they were/are close to (girlfriend, daughter, other relative, etc) work for me, to their great exception...I have a bunch hating on me.
Oh, well...it's the horse I chose to ride.

As far as cake. Chocolate sheet cake...just a lite dusting of confectioners sugar. So, the cake must be top notch!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Yeah...especially since after over a quarter century...so many people have had some girl they were/are close to (girlfriend, daughter, other relative, etc) work for me, to their great exception...I have a bunch hating on me.
Oh, well...it's the horse I chose to ride.

As far as cake. Chocolate sheet cake...just a lite dusting of confectioners sugar. So, the cake must be top notch!
Mmmmm. Flourless chocolate cloud roll, a lightly sweetened whipped cream, and a light dusting of Droste Cocoa, and sugar crystals. It is ethereal, and melts in the mouth. Heaven.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You know what's next, don't you?

Hitler cakes.

Maybe even ISIS cakes!
They would have to make Hitler and ISIS have protected status in whichever state the deal is in.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never argued for a theocracy. Do you realize that?
Is Jesus your material President or your divine King?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yet, the 1st Amendment says that we have the freedom of religion. Your desire for a cake cannot supercede my 1st Amendment rights to follow my convictions.
Yes it can. That is the point of all the rulings that say marijuana use and other such religious rituals that happen to be illegal for secular reasons are to remain illegal and religion cannot be cited in order to break law.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Not the point.
As long as Buyers get the legal option to pick and choose what Sellers they will or will not do business with...the only "fair" and "equal" ruling, is to grant the same option to the Sellers.
You don't get special tax breaks for being a cake buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.