Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why? It's just another worldview for people to hold in common.
Like the sideburn community. You can spot a member of that community without a word being spoken unlike the mysterious atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Like the sideburn community. You can spot a member of that community without a word being spoken unlike the mysterious atheists.
That one got a chuckle out of me. Nice.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
News to me they had leaders.

Every atheist I've known is too independent to need a leader.
Correct. We do of course have some prominent spokespersons. They seem to reason well, have knowledge and make some good suggestions. But they are hardly Leaders in the sense of telling us what we must do. They may do so (I do myself, and I'm no leader) but it is making suggestions. We are not obliged to go along with it if we don't agree. We are....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QereR0CViMY

Old 04-29-2016, 02:46 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Correct. We do of course have some prominent spokespersons. They seem to reason well, have knowledge and make some good suggestions. But they are hardly Leaders in the sense of telling us what we must do. They may do so (I do myself, and I'm no leader) but it is making suggestions. We are not obliged to go along with it if we don't agree. We are....
You are one of those.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You are one of those.
Thank you..cheque or card?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I've been pretty harsh, and in my opinion, rightfully so, on the many recent transgressions involving Christian leaders.

Atheist's are not immune from those transgressions. This issue has not yet hit the news, and perhaps may not. Regardless, the same disdain and disgust I feel for those who are at fault as Christians, Muslims or any other religious sect, I feel the same disdain and disgust when a leader, one who was well recognized by the atheist community as such, is at fault.

Now, none of the issues have been proven in court... yet. However, there is significant documentation whereby those reading it can draw their own conclusions.

The person involved at the center of all this is Sarah Morehead. She was once a fundamentalist Southern Baptist, who became an atheist. She was the Executive Director of the Recovering from Religion organization, and later for Apostacon.

Rather then repeat the long documentation that certainly at the very least brings into question of how much money is missing, and what manipulations were involved, I will link to this page on Patheos instead.

On the rumors circulating about Sarah Morehead.

In summary, there are numerous unexplained actions that involve potentially over $50,000 dollars in funds that are unaccounted for, plus further questionable debit and credit card charges. All the documentation is in the link, as well as these two which provide additional information. Here is a statement on the website of Apostacon with regards to the matter:

Apostacon

And a direct link (also in the above statement) of unidentified bank transactions over and above the missing funds. A significant number are for Amazon.com purchases.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FhKtsw51Q/edit

To top it all off, and whether it played a part in this or not, her husband was arrested an is being held in custody for sexually abusing children. Links detailing this are here:

Bellevue man faces additional charges of child sex assault | Local News - KETV Home

When news came out that her husband was arrested, the atheist communithy came together, and raised over $23,000 to help Sarah and her family out from the loss of income.

https://www.generosity.com/emergenci...mily-emergency

One wonders how much would have been raised if the details of the apparent defalcations were known at the time. One thing is for certain, one needs to feel very, very sorry for the children, who may well end up with both parents in jail.

The atheist community is not immune from scandal, and when it occurs, we should be as upfront in discussing it as we are when Christians go off the rails.

The difference is, I doubt any atheist is going to make excuses for the transgressor. Nor should they.

Yes, we know, everything is only an allegation at this point, but the documentaion speaks for itself. Draw your own conclusions.
I keep telling you copper. this abuse angle is stupid because family members do worse. Liberal people's law put people in far more danger than any religion on the east coast.

But I get it. I hate when facts get in the way of my opinions too.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I've been pretty harsh, and in my opinion, rightfully so, on the many recent transgressions involving Christian leaders.

Atheist's are not immune from those transgressions. This issue has not yet hit the news, and perhaps may not. Regardless, the same disdain and disgust I feel for those who are at fault as Christians, Muslims or any other religious sect, I feel the same disdain and disgust when a leader, one who was well recognized by the atheist community as such, is at fault.

Now, none of the issues have been proven in court... yet. However, there is significant documentation whereby those reading it can draw their own conclusions.

The person involved at the center of all this is Sarah Morehead. She was once a fundamentalist Southern Baptist, who became an atheist. She was the Executive Director of the Recovering from Religion organization, and later for Apostacon.

Rather then repeat the long documentation that certainly at the very least brings into question of how much money is missing, and what manipulations were involved, I will link to this page on Patheos instead.

On the rumors circulating about Sarah Morehead.

In summary, there are numerous unexplained actions that involve potentially over $50,000 dollars in funds that are unaccounted for, plus further questionable debit and credit card charges. All the documentation is in the link, as well as these two which provide additional information. Here is a statement on the website of Apostacon with regards to the matter:

Apostacon

And a direct link (also in the above statement) of unidentified bank transactions over and above the missing funds. A significant number are for Amazon.com purchases.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FhKtsw51Q/edit

To top it all off, and whether it played a part in this or not, her husband was arrested an is being held in custody for sexually abusing children. Links detailing this are here:

Bellevue man faces additional charges of child sex assault | Local News - KETV Home

When news came out that her husband was arrested, the atheist communithy came together, and raised over $23,000 to help Sarah and her family out from the loss of income.

https://www.generosity.com/emergenci...mily-emergency

One wonders how much would have been raised if the details of the apparent defalcations were known at the time. One thing is for certain, one needs to feel very, very sorry for the children, who may well end up with both parents in jail.

The atheist community is not immune from scandal, and when it occurs, we should be as upfront in discussing it as we are when Christians go off the rails.

The difference is, I doubt any atheist is going to make excuses for the transgressor. Nor should they.

Yes, we know, everything is only an allegation at this point, but the documentaion speaks for itself. Draw your own conclusions.
I know it may come as a shock to you but as another poster said, there is no such thing as an "atheist community". Atheists are individuals. Regarding your revelation: if that woman is guilty of fraud, she will be accused and stand trial, like anyone else. She doesn't speak for, or represent "atheists". Maybe she is part of a community, but that's something else.
Again, atheists aren't a community and there isn't anything that connects them, except disbelieve in God and supernatural. Disbelief is not a connection between people.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This was all caused by her Atheism Religion beliefs influencing her.
Just as all the bad stuff the Mainstream Religious do are caused by their various Religious beliefs.
They all make excuses otherwise...but that's just bogus.
Call Vlad...he will handle it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Gldie, your Prayers have finally been answered. You have a whole new stick to beat atheism with.
I know! Awesome, huh?
I hope you didn't feel neglected having to share billing with the Mainstream Religions.
I couldn't resist the opportunity to put a couple strokes their way.
AND...what about the "Vlad" reference?! Tell me you didn't at least crack a smile from that!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I know! Awesome, huh?
I hope you didn't feel neglected having to share billing with the Mainstream Religions.
I couldn't resist the opportunity to put a couple strokes their way.
AND...what about the "Vlad" reference?! Tell me you didn't at least crack a smile from that!
Sorry..what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I know it may come as a shock to you but as another poster said, there is no such thing as an "atheist community". Atheists are individuals. Regarding your revelation: if that woman is guilty of fraud, she will be accused and stand trial, like anyone else. She doesn't speak for, or represent "atheists". Maybe she is part of a community, but that's something else.
Again, atheists aren't a community and there isn't anything that connects them, except disbelieve in God and supernatural. Disbelief is not a connection between people.
That's the major problem. How do you herd cats? Well, the Organizations do exist but the point is not recruitment and collecting funds. It is education and discussion. And individuals putting in time like this is a good way, though Big Names do get a lot wider publicity.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
There are sports communities, camping communities, hunting communities, etc. Yes there are communities devoted to collecting money from Atheists who are brought into groups to talk about the goodness of Atheism and talk a bit about the evils of religion too. Why do people not throughly vet their leaders? I don't know, they are probably too lazy. It so important for people to understand that someone in power will have a huge incentive for god-like selfishness and corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality