Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

I think this is an attempt at humour by the OP, because as have others said, all wrongdoing that goes against the religion's belief, could be considered an act of an atheist.

Well done OP, although it's the 1st of May today, not the 1st of April
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:50 AM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
[Sigh] no, I think he's dead serious. I already addressed this ridiculous "logic" here before I realized he had turned it into its own thread.

This circular reasoning is very common however, and by no means exclusive to Islam. Christians do the same thing. Not just to people who violate positions of leadership trust, but to people who leave the faith or embarrass it in some nettlesome way.

It is the No True Scotsman fallacy. It is in fact even easier for Christians to engage in because it is explicitly taught and advocated in scripture. I don't pretend to know if the Quran has equivalent fallacies it is promoting, but it appears to be an appealing fallacy whether or not it has the approval of their holy book.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Yes, it's actually quite a revealing post by the OP. First step in a witch hunt -scary stuff.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:40 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think this is an attempt at humour by the OP, because as have others said, all wrongdoing that goes against the religion's belief, could be considered an act of an atheist.

Well done OP, although it's the 1st of May today, not the 1st of April
If you were familiar with the OP, you'd know that he is completely serious. This is what passes for 'logic' in his circles.

That's the thing about those who have accepted completely that which is fundamentally illogical - they embrace ideas that are so far beyond the pale that it's difficult to believe they're serious. This is also why it's so hard to parody them. They post things that would make a great headline in The Onion - except they mean every word.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, simple solution would be, to accept that Religion does NOT tell it's followers to rape and kill. So if a supposedly "Religious man" rapes or kills, do NOT associate his actions rooting to his religious faith. What you need to admit is that, his religion and his faith are in contradiction to his evil actions.
Actually, there are scriptures that tell you how to beat your slave, how to stone a virgin whose screams can't be heard, how to commit genocide, how to properly abuse your child, how to give your virgin daughters up for rape to a mob, how you can rape and get away with it by paying the father off, how to mistreat your wife, how to kill all of a neighboring tribe, including the babies, but keep virgins for your own use, commit cannibalism, cruelty to animals and that is just a start.

I wonder where one would find such scriptures?

Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
This is the silliest thread topic I have seen in a long time.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
This is the silliest thread topic I have seen in a long time.
Makes the popcorn taste better!
Attached Thumbnails
All pedophile Pastors and All terrorists are 100% Atheists.-jesus_popcorn.gif  

Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Extremist terrorists kill, rape and destroy in the name of their God. They believe so strongly that it's their god's commanding that commit the worst crimes possible and think they will be rewarded for it in the afterlife or something.

That doesn't quite qualify them as being atheist.

ATHEIST - one who has no belief in a deity/god.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
I guess that makes Abraham an atheist as well.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Missing the point

The measure of belief or unbelief of the perpetrator is unnecessary. You can judge these issues very simply: Anyone who assaults/rapes/murders children will - in the long run - hurt humanity as a whole, & even his/her immediate social circle/kinship - where the victims will likely come from. Therefore - as action not conducive to furthering his society/family/whatever the unit is - that behavior is evil.

The same can be said for terrorism - although terrorism as we define it is relatively recent - since gunpowder became generally available, to make dynamite, explosives, easily portable firearms & etc. Terrorism before then would have relied on thuggees & similar - bands of people devoted to violence/killing/intimidation for political ends.

Again, the motivation - religious or not - is not the point. Both sets of activities arrogate the power of life & death to either egomaniacs or monomaniacs, or people with no affect or positive feelings for their fellow man. If we can't manage to persuade them of the error of their ways, we need to either isolate them somewhere where they can't harm civilized people, or perhaps pop them into suspended animation (in hopes that they can be treated in the future. & I know, we don't have that technology yet. I'm just putting down a marker, for when the time comes.)

Failing all that, & if we can't manage to preserve them against a day when they're treatable, I suppose that we can execute criminals. It seems a waste to me, but there it is. & again, their professed faith or lack of same hardly seems to me to be the point. @ that point, we'd be condemning their criminal actions, not judging their state of grace or lack of same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality