Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
What about Micheal Jackson, he was a JW too.
Pretty sure he became a zombie.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
According to your Theology. This is a genuine question not intended to incite anything more than understanding of the religion.

Please tell us why and/or why not.
Why not look into what the Bible teaches rather than religion x, y, z?

You asked about Prince specifically but this would apply to all humans:

I could simply summarize what we believe but people should look at the Bible instead...

Hebrew Scriptures (aka Old Testament)

Genesis 3:19,20

Ecclesiastes 3:19,20

Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10

Psalm 146:4

What did Jesus say about the condition of the dead (Christian Greek Scriptures aka New Testament)?

John 11:11

Some who die have a place in heaven:

Revelation 7:4,5 states 144,000 as does Revelation 14:1, 4 which states these are the "firstfruits."

Some say the 144,000 are natural Jews, or its not a literal number, or that's the totality of mankind that are "saved" etc

However bottom line the tribes mentioned in the pertinent part of Revelation don't match the tribes mentioned in the book of Numbers I believe it was the book of Numbers). John was a Jew I don't think he would make that mistake. Additionally, he was also capable of reading and writing and reasoning. He could easily have written "the few in contrast to the many" but He didn't. Regardless, whether he meant 144,000 to be literal or not he was making a contrast between a limited number of humans who have their place in heaven and humans who don't.

And, has been mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in hell based on scripture.

Fact: The word "hell" does not appear in the earliest copies of the Bible written in Koine Greek such as Mark 9:47.

Anyway, hope this provides some with food for thought.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:01 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Jesus said that unless you are born of spirit and of water , which would make you born again you will not see the kingdom of Heaven ............. So if Prince was born again in the Spirit of God then he would be in heaven , or maybe he has gone to purgatory

Old 06-02-2016, 06:37 PM

97 posts, read 55,687 times
No he awaits the Resurrection John 5:28, 29 speaks of.
jw.org Resurrection

Old 06-03-2016, 01:58 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
According to your Theology. This is a genuine question not intended to incite anything more than understanding of the religion.

Please tell us why and/or why not.
You don't need to ask that here.
If you want to know that info..."According to" the Jehovahs Witness doctrine, a simple Goggle search would give you anything and everything you'd like to know about it.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
If basically just the body dies why would the conscience need sleep? In the big picture
I think no one has a clue. It's all hope.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
If basically just the body dies why would the conscience need sleep? In the big picture I think no one has a clue. It's all hope.
Misplaced wishful thinking really.

When you really consider reality on its own terms, hoping in or wanting an afterlife is just a cop-out from what really is knowable about our existence, where our meaning and purpose is actually derived, where our various responsibilities lie and how to accurately assess how those responsibilities are or aren't carried out.

Once you understand that our true scope is mortal and squarely within the one life we obviously DO have, it changes everything. Ultimately, if you're willing to truly let go of all the operant conditioning that says life is somehow bleak, terrifying or not contemplatable without an afterlife bolted onto it somehow, it actually produces a great deal of peace and humility and focus that afterlife concepts deny you.

But this is hard work, and requires that we mindfully override our primal fear of death, which is really a confused hold-over from our self-preservation instincts that ill serves us in modern society. One's mind can be trained away from it, just as one's mind can be trained to give more attention to positives than to negatives, to what one has rather than what one doesn't or can't have. But it's work. And as long as we have the endless self-reinforcing rituals of theism reinforcing the notion that we're immortal when we're not, it will be much more difficult than it needs to be.

I don't claim any special dispensation of wisdom to have come to this place in life, only that I've had some clarifying experiences that made my mortality undeniable and unmasked the utter futility of my immortality projects. It's the same clarity that comes to anyone who has had great personal loss, or who is given some kind of medical death sentence, or who faces almost certain death for whatever reason. In those situations all the BS falls away and what you knew at some level all along becomes obvious. As the old Christian hymn has it, in such situations indeed "the things of earth grow strangely dim" ... it's just a question of why, and what "the things of earth" are. To my mind they are our silly time and energy-wasting and ego-inflating projects to live forever, even if only symbolically.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
What about Micheal Jackson, he was a JW too.
Among other THINGS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality