Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
again, not addressing the point, cupper3.. I'm not going to
repeat myself, I already have 3 times in this thread.
You know I'm right in what I've said here.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is no more indications that Yahweh (your god) is any more real than all those other gods people have held in esteem and worshiped over the course of human history. Referring to the bible is a circular reference.

Show me historical records, heck, even geological ones, that indicate a massive earthquake happened around the year 33 CE. Show me any records that zombies walked around Jerusalem, "seen by many", which one would think were some people who actually might be able to write it down and record it. Like Romans. Or Greeks.

I am well aware of the debunked (by the author of the study) Discovery channel story about a 1st century earthquake by Jefferson B. Williamsa*, Markus J. Schwabb & A. Brauerb.

Here is some of what that says, from the abstract:

Plausible candidates include the earthquake reported in the Gospel of Matthew, an earthquake that occurred sometime before or after the crucifixion and was in effect ‘borrowed’ by the author of the Gospel of Matthew, and a local earthquake between 26 and 36 AD that was sufficiently energetic to deform the sediments at Ein Gedi but not energetic enough to produce a still extant and extra-biblical historical record. If the last possibility is true, this would mean that the report of an earthquake in the Gospel of Matthew is a type of allegory.
Allegory and not sufficient enough for anyone to really notice it. In the abstract. Fact, not fiction or wishing or faith.

So, give us some real proof that those events occurred. If you can't, outside of your bible, then it is at best allegorical and metaphorical discussion about one of the many messianic cults that existed at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
cupper, stop changing the subject.
obviously you agree with what I said concerning
what is proper to say to children, but it upsets
your atheist bonafides.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
cupper, stop changing the subject.
obviously you agree with what I said concerning
what is proper to say to children, but it upsets
your atheist bonafides.
I have no idea where you possibly get the idea I agree with you on how to discuss the issue of gods and other imaginary entities that require faith, but no proof, to conceive.

Let me be clear, NO child should be told that any god is real, ever. They should be encouraged that if they have an interest, into investigating it later in life, when they can understand the issues at hand.

A 5 year old, like in the story, has no concept of reality versus fairy tale, and only a responsible parent will not promulgate any fairy tales. Including religion.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:59 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just as happy and worthwhile childhood as my atheist children and grandchildren. We recognize there is only one life, and have everything to LIVE for, whereas you have nothing to live for but everything to DIE for.

In the end, we will all be wormfood.
Isn't it just lovely to deprive a child of the magic of Santa Claus, and the solace that comes from prayer, and to tell them that nothing matters, since we are only born to be worm food? Gosh, I wish I were an atheist.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:29 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Quote:
I have no idea where you possibly get the idea I agree with you on how to discuss the issue of gods and other imaginary entities that require faith, but no proof, to conceive.

Let me be clear, NO child should be told that any god is real, ever. They should be encouraged that if they have an interest, into investigating it later in life, when they can understand the issues at hand.

A 5 year old, like in the story, has no concept of reality versus fairy tale, and only a responsible parent will not promulgate any fairy tales. Including religion.
life IS a frikkin fairy tale, Jack.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Isn't it just lovely to deprive a child of the magic of Santa Claus, and the solace that comes from prayer, and to tell them that nothing matters, since we are only born to be worm food? Gosh, I wish I were an atheist.
Well, I can say as a life long atheist - I'm not baptized - I thoroughly enjoyed the celebrations around the winter solstice, the one we in the west call Christmas. So did my children. Family, decorations, gifts, food, celebration. What's to miss?

Yeah, you and I both will be wormfood when we die. Reality. Which makes it so much more important to live your live fully, embrace live, and leave some legacy of the truth to your children and grandchildren. Make the world a better place in some small or big thing. I know I have.

And then we will die. End of story.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander
Apparently her daughter asked her what she thought and that is what she answered. Would the mother lying to her daughter make you feel happier?
No I guess not

Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Umm.... actually, there is no deprivation in not bull****ting young kids about Santa Claus. My kids never heard about 'Father Christmas' or 'Santa Claus' and I can assure you, they were very happy young kids. We had no Christian Christmas stuff at home. Sure, we had a tree with decorations and stuff like.

When they were introduced to 'Father Christmas' (a bit older) it was obvious that he was some sort of fun joke thing.

Not giving kids candy is also not 'depriving them' of anything.

Actually, you should try being an Atheist - it's a lot more fun and level headed than you might imagine. Sundays are also a lot more fun and productive.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-04-2016 at 01:50 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 01:56 AM

And then we become wormfood

Old 05-04-2016, 02:10 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:

And then we become wormfood
But I don't want to become wormfood! I want to feed a tree that grows large and lives long. Seriously. But that won't won't happen, they'll burn me to ashes - what a waste. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality