Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
It doesn't "bother" anyone. It "bothers" people that you are starting a new thread every few hours to toot your own horn.
1 thread a day -- when I'm in the office. Not every day. Not every few hours.

Quote:

Why do you feel the need to inundate the forum with the same thread every few hours?
Why do you suppose some people feel the need to post 2-3 posts a day to try to shame Christians?
Quote:

Good for you, you have done some good deeds.... So has everyone else on this forum. You are not special.
When have I ever suggested I was special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Why do you suppose some people feel the need to post 2-3 posts a day to try to shame Christians?

How exciting! The opportunity to learn all about your good deeds.

Personally..... I like to keep the vast majority of my good deeds between me and God. Besides, I doubt most people would find my good deeds particularly interesting. Though the day I rescued an elderly neighbor stranded with a dead battery when it was 110 degrees and she got in my car and promptly told me I needed to wash it because it was full of bird **** (her words - she was 85 and colorful) was memorable. (I don't think God will mind my sharing it since the memory always makes me laugh. I did need to wash my car and Dorothy always said exactly what she thought. Especially after her pain meds kicked in.)

Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
I've got more, don't worry.
All as newsworthy as THIS one?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How exciting! The opportunity to learn all about your good deeds.

Personally..... I like to keep the vast majority of my good deeds between me and God. Besides, I doubt most people would find my good deeds particularly interesting. Though the day I rescued an elderly neighbor stranded with a dead battery when it was 110 degrees and she got in my car and promptly told me I needed to wash it because it was full of bird **** (her words - she was 85 and colorful) was memorable. (I don't think God will mind my sharing it since the memory always makes me laugh. I did need to wash my car and Dorothy always said exactly what she thought. Especially after her pain meds kicked in.)
Good for you. This isn't about bragging. I never thought to do this until I'd had a couple years of DAILY posting by certain anti-Christian posters that seem to be intent upon trying to attack Christianity. I feel it's necessary to show the good things Christians do.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 AM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
This isn't the first time Vizio has told this story. In an earlier thread Vizio mentioned that the name of his church was on each water bottle label.
Nothing wrong with that really although it does largely take this out of the realm of mundane good deeds and into the realm of mundane marketing.

And of course it still doesn't address the point of cupper's posts which in no way suggest that all pastors do nothing but bad things. His posts are in fact about hypocritical claims of a superior morality with better outcomes.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Why does it bother you so much that a church would serve the community?
Doing is fine but have you ever read Matthew 6:1, pastor?

With that said, keep doing things for others! We non-Christians will keep doing the same and all together this will mean a better world for everyone, IMO. The way I see things, there's no such thing as too much empathy or too much help. Then again, I'm a bleeding-heart liberal.

Keep it up. I wouldn't brag about it quite so much personally but keep it up.

It can be an uphill battle, I know. As a lib who sees giving and supporting as important, I am constantly nudged (sometimes not so softly) by my conservative friends NOT to do so because people should "take care of themselves." So giving can come with opposition but there will always be people who want to help, no matter what the motivation...IMO until we're indoctrinated to be insular, to see people who need help as "drains on the system" and so on, we DO like giving, just look at small children from all walks of life loving to give a kiss or hug, a compliment, a little flower, anything. You keep doing your part and I'll keep doing mine, I just probably won't advertise it, LOL, but either way...giving is giving, I guess.

Jesus was quite the bleeding heart lib himself in some ways, he DID admonish to give up material goods and to give to others and to be open-minded and forgiving and to not presume to judge who's "deserving" and who isn't, so I see that as a human quality he was espousing and one doesn't have to be a certain religion to espouse it (I'm an example of that but there are millions of others).

There IS ALWAYS someone in need.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Good for you. This isn't about bragging. I never thought to do this until I'd had a couple years of DAILY posting by certain anti-Christian posters that seem to be intent upon trying to attack Christianity. I feel it's necessary to show the good things Christians do.
In that case, instead of tooting your own wee horn, why not look online for actual good news stories regarding Christians?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:

Well, there are 6 on here right now. Maybe they were posted over 6 days. If so, my bad. Either way though, you are posting the same things every time....

"Look at what I did for this person/these people this one time."

Who cares man? Should we all start posting a thread a day about good deeds we do? We would quickly wind up with pages worth of "Look at me!" posts.

There is a big difference between someone posting a thread, or 2-3 threads, about NEWS stories coming out concerning Christian pastors, and you posting things you have done for people. If you are ashamed of the stories, then maybe the Christians of the world should start trying to do something about all these pastors who are shaming you all. You know, instead of posting a thread a day tooting your own horn? Maybe you could do some REAL good in the world.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
I feel it's necessary to show the good things Christians do.
I think most people already know Christians do good things.

But if you feel the need to tell the world the good things you do... go for it. They'll be recorded for eternity on the ether and on your death bead you can be happy knowing you defended Christians by telling your fellow CD posters that you gave out bottles of water to a bunch of tourists.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
This isn't the first time Vizio has told this story. In an earlier thread Vizio mentioned that the name of his church was on each water bottle label.
True that. I remember it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Doing is fine but have you ever read Matthew 6:1, pastor?
He ignored that the last time it was asked. I'd wager he will do the same again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality