Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:39 AM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think this is rather overdetermined. Cupper picks battles I wouldn't and overplays his hands at times, but he's not me and I don't need him to be. What is really true is that his posts highlight an interesting phenomenon. They cite (usually not assert, but cite, with generally credible references) Christian misdeeds. Whether or not you or I think he ought to be doing that, or that he's fixated on it or whatever ... the posts are what they are. And the thing about it that interests me is that the response of Christians to this, rather than to own cupper's offered perfidy du jour, agree that it's awful, and lament that some of your comrades in arms get up to such things, what we almost always see instead is:

1) That miscreant wasn't a True Christian so it doesn't reflect on us / me.
2) That miscreant really wasn't a miscreant, or what they did wasn't really so bad, or is exaggerated. (In at least one case the lame excuse of the miscreant was embraced)
3) That miscreant isn't doing anything the Bible actually teaches (circular reference and beside the point)

... and now we are increasingly getting choruses of demands that he just shut up already.

The way out is through in this case, gentlemen. If you can't ignore it, embrace it. Just agree for example that refusing to provide towing service to a handicapped woman because she doesn't agree with your politics and perhaps your religion is un-Christ-like and doesn't represent your views or the views of most Christians.

Just display some of the moral uprightness you like to talk about rather than demonize your opponent.
Dammit but you're good! You should really write a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 04:14 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think this is rather overdetermined. Cupper picks battles I wouldn't and overplays his hands at times, but he's not me and I don't need him to be. What is really true is that his posts highlight an interesting phenomenon. They cite (usually not assert, but cite, with generally credible references) Christian misdeeds. Whether or not you or I think he ought to be doing that, or that he's fixated on it or whatever ... the posts are what they are. And the thing about it that interests me is that the response of Christians to this, rather than to own cupper's offered perfidy du jour, agree that it's awful, and lament that some of your comrades in arms get up to such things, what we almost always see instead is:

1) That miscreant wasn't a True Christian so it doesn't reflect on us / me.
2) That miscreant really wasn't a miscreant, or what they did wasn't really so bad, or is exaggerated. (In at least one case the lame excuse of the miscreant was embraced)
3) That miscreant isn't doing anything the Bible actually teaches (circular reference and beside the point)

... and now we are increasingly getting choruses of demands that he just shut up already.

The way out is through in this case, gentlemen. If you can't ignore it, embrace it. Just agree for example that refusing to provide towing service to a handicapped woman because she doesn't agree with your politics and perhaps your religion is un-Christ-like and doesn't represent your views or the views of most Christians.

Just display some of the moral uprightness you like to talk about rather than demonize your opponent.
It's another great mordant post that will not get it's rep points for absurd reasons.

I'm not sure I get the fixation on cupper's (perceived) fixation with pointing out bad deeds by those who claim to be morallying superior to those they demonize.

It is completely relevant to R&S in my opinion, as it highlights the absurdity that believing a certain "thing" somehow makes a person moral, or that believing in the certain "thing" somehow graces the believer with morality they couldn't otherwise have without their religion (though that may be true....for different reasons).

And the fact that cupper can find an abundance of such stories further highlights that it isn't a belief held by just a couple of crackpots here and there. It suggests, to me, that special privliege and protection from criticism for religion can lead to people defending such bigoted views by demonizing the motivation of the person (cupper in this case) highlighting the religious bigot....all because it reflects poorly on the rationale for believing the certain "thing". And lacking compelling evidence....rationale (good, bad, or otherwise) is all they really have.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
It's another great mordant post that will not get it's rep points for absurd reasons.

I'm not sure I get the fixation on cupper's (perceived) fixation with pointing out bad deeds by those who claim to be morallying superior to those they demonize.

It is completely relevant to R&S in my opinion, as it highlights the absurdity that believing a certain "thing" somehow makes a person moral, or that believing in the certain "thing" somehow graces the believer with morality they couldn't otherwise have without their religion (though that may be true....for different reasons).

And the fact that cupper can find an abundance of such stories further highlights that it isn't a belief held by just a couple of crackpots here and there. It suggests, to me, that special privliege and protection from criticism for religion can lead to people defending such bigoted views by demonizing the motivation of the person (cupper in this case) highlighting the religious bigot....all because it reflects poorly on the rationale for believing the certain "thing". And lacking compelling evidence....rationale (good, bad, or otherwise) is all they really have.
Exactly!

You know, you guys make me feel like a cave man with a club. But I enjoy your skills of expression.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Weick is a nutter, and I think that tops the fact that she is a Christian. There are a million loopy folks out there with signs and they have all sorts of category labels, but they are first and foremost just Nutters.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 AM

261 posts, read 156,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What is it with these religious zealots? Thank your mom your not gay?

Angry Christian Protester Holds Up Sign on Mother’s Day: “Thank Your Mom Today for Not Being Gayâ€

Quoted:
I guess Weick is unaware that even gay women can have biological children of their own…

Here’s a better idea: If it applies, thank your mom today for being a great provider, caretaker, supporter, confidante, and friend. Or just thank her for raising a child that didn’t end up as miserable and hateful as Weick.
Your mother’s sexual orientation, whatever it is, is far less important than the amount of love she gave you.

But what do I know? I don’t have Jesus in my life and Weick does. That makes her superior, right?
And that bolded is exactly the way I feel.
What a very sick guy that pastor is, Jesus could have been gay for all we know!

Old 05-14-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
What a very sick guy that pastor is, Jesus could have been gay for all we know!
There is that reference to the disciple that Jesus loved.
Also, he wasn't married (that we know of).
But hey, I don't think he was a bad guy.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
not so much playpen as cesspool

cupper's posts and threads are evidence of his own toxic emotions, compromised mental state, and chronic obsession with staying mired in a cesspool of deranged bitterness. his posts and threads are exactly like the homeless guy on the street corner who curses and hollers and is incoherent and unappealing, the rant in his head is non-stop.
However, Tz, if what he posts is true, you know, reality?...It's just part of the real world, food for thought...Information that you can use to ascertain the validity of someone's claim...I think pretending it doesn't exist is the real cesspool which gives it growth, bringing it to light and acting to put a stop to it I think would show that we are not going to put up with it...Most people want an idyllic life and therefore remain in the idyllic bubble that they have created for themselves and will naturally right to keep it that way to the point that when you show them what's going on, they refuse to believe it...They walk around with eyes wide shut...

Old 05-14-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
what does this have to to with Religion and Spirituality ?

How many threads about homosexuality and sexuality do we
have to endure in non-related forums ?

C-D needs an LGBT subforum.

Oh wait, the guy with a sign was a Christian.

oooooh. like millions of others. all of a sudden this is topical ?

patheos.com is trash. 100% unmitigated trash.

Here is my outrage, to respond the way you would like..

that's just terrible.

Mean Christians. Mean Christians. No like me gay. No like gays.
Mean. Mean. Mean. We will hound them. Must. Force. Them.
Blah, blah what?...

Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Does the woman offend you? How does she make you feel? What does she provoke in you?
Shouldn't Vizio be lying on a couch while you are asking these questions?...

Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Shouldn't Vizio be lying on a couch while you are asking these questions?...
hahahahahaha I prefer chairs. Nothing worse than asking a question, and listening to the client snore.

I believe Viz should have understanding of his feelings of outrage, and offense. He claims the actions of other Christians ( this woman being the example,) bring up these feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality