Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:45 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Maybe one of the resident fundamentalist Christians can help me with a perplexing question. If the devil does come into a Target and rapes a woman in the bathroom causing her to become pregnant, would it be ok to have an abortion or should the rape victim be forced to carry the devil baby to term and welcome it as a gift from God?
If pro-lifers are consistent, of course they potentially won't care who the father is or how willing the mother was. But even many of those folks approve exceptions for abortion in cases of rape and incest, so it's not really that inconvenient of a hypothetical you're posing either way. If they allow the exception, then they are acknowledging your point. If they don't, they're rabid enough that they will be impervious to charges of cruelty or hypocrisy.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This video has been making the rounds the past few days. If I was one of those kids of hers, I would want to crawl in the nearest dark hole or closet with embarrassment, but then, I think this is full out nut banger crazy.

The proper way to protest Target or not? Let's not forget, the disturbance she is causing is in private property, and as such, is her free speech can be curtailed.

https://youtu.be/vrJDMtDLPxM
She is a woman that feels that her views are not being heard. It's not what I'd do, but she apparently feels she needed to. Notice she left the store peacefully, and did not shoot anyone, or do any vandalism.

I fail to see how she is any worse than any of the nut jobs that protest global warming, "blacklivesmatter", etc or any of the other darling causes on the left. There was nothing in the news about anyone being harmed, nor did she block any major highways to protest it.

Again...not what I'd do, but I'd hardly consider her to be any worse than any of the atheists and other liberal groups I've seen.

Last edited by Vizio; 05-17-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think it is great that we are sentient beings. It is probably quite rare but not unique in the universe. The universe is indeed impressive and there are many interesting things we have yet to discover and understand. It is part of what motivates me to cheer on humanity over the long haul despite its regular production of knuckle-draggers, enabled douchebags, world wars and the like.
Neil deGrasse Tyson said this and it really hits home IMO.

If our greater intelligence is the hallmark of our species then we should use it as all other species use their distinctive advantages to help ensure that their offspring prosper and that their heredity is passed on. That the fabric of nature that sustains us is protected.

If our intelligence is the only edge - then we must learn to use it better, to sharpen it, to understand it's limitations and deficiencies. To use it as cats use stealth for pouncing, as walking stick insects use camouflage, to make it the tool of our survival. If we do this we can solve almost any problem that we are likely to confront in the next 100,000 years.

Human intelligence is imperfect surely, and newly arisen. The ease with which it can be sweet talked, overwhelmed or subverted by other hard wired tendencies, sometimes themselves disguised as right of reason is worrisome.

Attached Thumbnails
So, nutjob or devout and faithful? What's your opinion?-just-becasue-accepted-majority.jpg  

Old 05-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Neil deGrasse Tyson said this and it really hits home IMO.

If our greater intelligence is the hallmark of our species then we should use it as all other species use their distinctive advantages to help ensure that their offspring prosper and that their heredity is passed on. That the fabric of nature that sustains us is protected.

If our intelligence is the only edge - then we must learn to use it better, to sharpen it, to understand it's limitations and deficiencies. To use it as cats use stealth for pouncing, as walking stick insects use camouflage, to make it the tool of our survival. If we do this we can solve almost any problem that we are likely to confront in the next 100,000 years.

Human intelligence is imperfect surely, and newly arisen. The ease with which it can be sweet talked, overwhelmed or subverted by other hard wired tendencies, sometimes themselves disguised as right of reason is worrisome.
I find that interesting that you say that and quote Neil Degrasse Tyson, as he has been documented to invent quotes and try to pass them off as real.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I find that interesting that you say that and quote Neil Degrasse Tyson, as he has been documented to invent quotes and try to pass them off as real.
I think you should mind your own business since you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

What is not real about my post or about anything Neil degrasse Tyson says?

I would trust him over any type of deceptive lying religious person especially a person in your position.

Show where anything in my post is not real. Go right ahead and knock yourself out!

It's surely this part that has you worried:
Quote:
You certainly don't want this truth to get out to your sheep...they might just wake up to the lies and deception that you feed them.

Or is it this that threatens you?
Quote:
Oh my if your sheep only knew that they truly have a mind of their own they would be waving goodbye to you.

See folks how religion frowns upon anything that supports independent thinking and having a mind of your own? Why would anyone in their right mind find anything wrong with the truth?

Last edited by Matadora; 05-17-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think the quote stands or falls on its merits regardless of who said it first or what you think of Neil. Unless you are simply deflecting from discussion the point made by the Matadora in quoting it.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
OK I will leave you alone from now on and put you on ignore because basically you act like a frighten and dishonest person.
Perhaps all of us should put him on ignore. I'm sure he would cut his throat if he realised that nobody was talking to him and thus he couldn't claim to be persecuted and then his baby Jesus wouldn't give him any more 'get into heaven points' for being 'persecuted'.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You watch a 60 second clip of the woman and have already judged and branded her as a nutjob and unfit mother. Just a prime example of the judmental arrogance that comes from the atheist camp. I feel sorry for the hopeless kids of atheists. They probably grow up bitter and angry.
Just one family walking through the store? They should have gotten a bunch of people and chained themselves together across the front doors of the store. That's the liberal-approved method of "protest" these days. The rights of others and private property be dammed. If it's good enough for a bunch of idiot Sanders supporters blocking a Trump rally, it's good enough for Target.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the quote stands or falls on its merits regardless of who said it first or what you think of Neil. Unless you are simply deflecting from discussion the point made by the Matadora in quoting it.
My point is that I think Tyson can't be trusted. I would not look to him as any kind of authority.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think you should mind your own business since you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

What is not real about my post or about anything Neil degrasse Tyson says?

I would trust him over any type of deceptive lying religious person especially a person in your position.

Show where anything in my post is not real. Go right ahead and knock yourself out!

It's surely this part that has you worried:

You certainly don't want this truth to get out to your sheep...they might just wake up to the lies and deception that you feed them.
Or is it this that threatens you?

Oh my if your sheep only knew that they truly have a mind of their own they would be waving goodbye to you.
See folks how religion frowns upon anything that supports independent thinking and having a mind of your own? Why would anyone in their right mind find anything wrong with the truth?
I like science. I just have a problem with hacks like Tyson that fabricate quotes in an attempt to look smart. I find it ironic that you use a quote stating that a lie doesn't become truth simply because one believes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality