Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
ok? So he admitted to lying. Great.
Don't feed the troll. He never lied nor admitted to lying about the Bush quote.
Quote:
What followed fascinated me greatly. As others had uncovered, the President indeed utter the following sentences:

In the words of the prophet Isaiah, “Lift your eyes and look to the heavens. Who created all these? He who brings out the starry hosts one by one and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.” The same creator who names the stars also knows the names of the seven souls we mourn today.

But I was wrong about when he said it. It appears in his speech after the Columbia Shuttle disaster, eighteen months after September 11th 2001. My bad. And I here publicly apologize to the President for casting his quote in the context of contrasting religions rather than as a poetic reference to the lost souls of Columbia. I have no excuse for this, other than both events- so close to one another — upset me greatly. In retrospect, I’m surprised I remembered any details from either of them.

Of course, very little changes in that particular talk. I will still mention Islamic Extremists flying planes into buildings in the 21st century. I will still contrast it with the Golden Age of Islam a millennium earlier. And I will still mention the President’s quote. But instead, I will be the one contrasting what actually happened in the world with what the Bible says: The Arabs named the stars, not Yahweh.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Incompleteness and using things out of context is a favorite error apologists make... frequently. And by doing so, it so demeans the veracity of future claims. Unlike Tyson, however, they would never admit they made an error.
I knew right away I was dealing with a crack pot. You can spot them a mile away by their posts, angry rants and conspiracy theory mentality.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop David View Post
I'm not saying Tyson's a liar. He likely believed what he was saying. More likely he was addled.

Here's a pic of him conflating the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy with 9-11:

Okay, I can understand conflating two awful tragedies. But where does he get Bush as a xenophobic demagogue slamming Muslims? Did he conflate Bush with Bill Maher?

Here's a screen capture of Bush's actual post 9-11 speech:

Exactly the opposite of what Tyson remembers. And since Bush wasn't slamming Arabs, Tyson's shtick on Arabic star names does NOT confound any point Bush made. The merciless ridicule Tyson is dishing out blows back and lands on his own shirt as well as his audience. How did Tyson's audience swallow this? Are they not self proclaimed skeptics? They are obviously credulous idiots.

It has been previously posted that Tyson admitted he mistaken two speeches and the one he was referring to took place 18 months later. You should have noted that post prior to posting your latest post.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It has been previously posted that Tyson admitted he mistaken two speeches and the one he was referring to took place 18 months later. You should have noted that post prior to posting your latest post.
His reading comprehension matches the IQ to to a T.

T for Tyson!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
His reading comprehension matched his IQ to to a T.

I am trying to figure if Tyson is responsible for the cartoon as well.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I am trying to figure if Tyson is responsible for the cartoon as well.
I would not waste any more time on this bizarre poster.

So far not one thing they have posted is worth a grain of salt.

I bet if we could hear him talk he would sound exactly like that pig and her pig husband in the OP's video.

Nutcase for sure!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 2,831 times
Quote:
I have never seen such ignorance in my life.
I've seen it many times. I go to various forums where Tyson's addled fans are putting him on a pedestal. I'll say some very obvious, easily verifiable things. For example, in the wake of 9-11, Bush did NOT quote the bible in an attempt to distinguish we from they.

And I'll point to other stuff Tyson makes up:

No Neil, Arthur C. Clarke wasn't the first to calculate altitude of geosynchronous orbits.

No Neil, gravity doesn't fall off exponentially with distance.

No Neil, miniaturizing electronics wasn't a non-thought prior to the space program. Transistor radios hit the market before NASA was formed and people were working on transistors as early as the 1920's.

No Neil, a cancer patient living longer than predicted doesn't demonstrate doctors are idiots. Your rant against doctors, the A.M.A. and pre-med students comes from ignorance of statistical outliers and bell curves.

If I'm able, I'll provide links as cites.

Out of hundreds of comments defending Tyson, I've only seen five or six that attempt to refute my points by citing evidence.

Most the comments are like yours. Rich with silly emoticons and insults. But poor when it comes to using math or citing evidence.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
For example, in the wake of 9-11, Bush did NOT quote the bible in an attempt to distinguish we from they.
We know your reading comprehension matches the IQ so let me spoon feed you. We have already covered this.

Quote:
And I'll point to other stuff Tyson makes up:
No Neil, Arthur C. Clarke wasn't the first to calculate altitude of geosynchronous orbits.
No Neil, gravity doesn't fall off exponentially with distance.
No Neil, miniaturizing electronics wasn't a non-thought prior to the space program. Transistor radios hit the market before NASA was formed and people were working on transistors as early as the 1920's.
No Neil, a cancer patient living longer than predicted doesn't demonstrate doctors are idiots. Your rant against doctors, the A.M.A. and pre-med students comes from ignorance of statistical outliers and bell curves.
Your only demonstrating your deepened ignorance when you Quote mine.

Let's take the first one of your quotes:No Neil, Arthur C. Clarke wasn't the first to calculate altitude of geosynchronous orbits.

Really? I suggest you do some searching and you will find this:

The first recorded mention of geostationary orbit was in a letter written by science fiction author, Arthur C. Clarke, to Wireless World magazine, in February, 1945. Clarke wrote:

"An "artificial satellite" at the correct distance from the Earth would make one revolution every 24 hours; i.e., it would remain stationary above the same spot and would be within optical range of nearly half the Earth's surface. Three repeater stations, 120 degrees apart in the correct orbit, could give television and microwave coverage to the entire planet."

Quote:
Most the comments are like yours. Rich with silly emoticons and insults. But poor when it comes to using math or citing evidence.
All of my comments are accurate, every single one of your comments has been based on pure ignorance.

I am actually glad you can't post links because for certain they would all be from non-credible conspiracy theory idiot blog sites such as this one. Is this your blog? Anyone calling Tyson incompetent is truly an incompetent fool them-self. Anyone getting their "facts" from sites like this needs to go back to school and stop making America dumb.

http://hopsblog-hop.blogspot.com/201...etent-ass.html

Yes it's clear who this bozo is now. This is his dumb blog. What a nutcase!

Last edited by Matadora; 05-17-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 PM

7 posts, read 2,831 times
Quote:
Let's take the first one of your quotes:No Neil, Arthur C. Clarke wasn't the first to calculate altitude of geosynchronous orbits.

Really? I suggest you do some searching and you will find this:

The first recorded mention of geostationary orbit was in a letter written by science fiction author, Arthur C. Clarke, to Wireless World magazine, in February, 1945. Clarke wrote:

"An "artificial satellite" at the correct distance from the Earth would make one revolution every 24 hours; i.e., it would remain stationary above the same spot and would be within optical range of nearly half the Earth's surface. Three repeater stations, 120 degrees apart in the correct orbit, could give television and microwave coverage to the entire planet."
Yes, Clarke suggested communication satellites be placed in geosynchronous orbits.

But was Clarke the first to calculate altitude of geosynchronous orbits? Absolutely not. That was done as early as 1928 by Herman Potočnik. It was possible that was done earlier.

Reading comprehension. Get some.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, Clarke suggested communication satellites be placed in geosynchronous orbits.

But was Clarke the first to calculate altitude of geosynchronous orbits? Absolutely not. That was done as early as 1928 by Herman Potočnik. It was possible that was done earlier.

Reading comprehension. Get some.

You're busted I have found your STUPID Blog. Go away and take your garbage with you.

See folks why America ranks close to the bottom of the world with respect to math and science? It's folks like this bozo that have helped to get us there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality