Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times

Advertisements

Many analyists ( not all) have questioned the claims of Bernadette's Lourdes apparition's as a combination of desperation to counter her inability to complete her catechism instruction and Holy communion prep. Her asthmatic episodes, trances and even demonic possession! Lourdes grotto was linked to many so-called spirit activities early on and part of a cultish environment. Bernadette's, interviews themselves were as hallmarks of an underlying mental disorder calling the aspiration " that thing" or inconsistent rants that just don't add up. Lourdes was a cover for many manifestations of lies and religousity! Her behavior consistent of being a troubled child. Many miracles inspite of being fraud, scams or counterfeit still may be credible once you get beyond the evangelists laying of hands except for those staged in an effort to build faith or line pockets ( the later fairly rare yet it only takes a few uncovered to effect thousands of non believers or weaken the faith of lukewarmers). People who pray for healing, are sincere in their impact from the laying of hands or spiritually impacted by testimonials may in fact be healed. The equation does not need the evangelists, does not require a hands on fellowship as its about a direct relationship with God by faith. If God answers their plea for a miracle then boom there it is. If it is staged there isn't a inflection to cure. A counterfeit raises the question "do you really want to face God someday with THAT story? In dissecting miracles one has to be a combination of watchfull and faithful. I have observed real miracles and at the end of the day believe they frequently occur!

Last edited by openmike; 05-23-2016 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 12:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Another chance for the OP to complain about the Catholics.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:28 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
So eyewitness testimonies of the Risen Christ are valid, but eyewitness testimonies of the Virgin Mary are not?

I'm amazed at the sudden skepticism.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So eyewitness testimonies of the Risen Christ are valid, but eyewitness testimonies of the Virgin Mary are not?

I'm amazed at the sudden skepticism.
Here's how it works: If the eyewitness is "us/our side"......absolutely, 100% true. If the eyewitness is "them/ their side".....total rubbish.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here's how it works: If the eyewitness is "us/our side"......absolutely, 100% true. If the eyewitness is "them/ their side".....total rubbish.
Yes, exactly.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM

I didn't want to bash Catholicism as I attended Catholic grade school ( attended mass every day except Saturday) I was the alumni president of my graduating class at Catholic High. My intention is to at least warn of excessive religousity ( knowing many events ,icons and beliefs are held sacred and loved) . One can for example counter my suspicions that Bernadette's story has so many holes its dissappointing ,but the cures at Lourdes a joy in spite of all the skepticism. Faith is powerful, just put it into perspective . As a evangelical we do not hold Mary a divinity or immaculate . We respect and love her for her being a FOLLOWER of Jesus and a great decendant from the House of David ( hand picked !) We do not promote intercessory prayer to Mary or consider her the mother of the universe as some zealots manifest. The main point is for all christians to remember No one ....No one goes to the Father but by me ......Jesus . Beware of vain repitition in prayer . We need to be careful not to manufacture addons to Jesus whether man ordained saints, dead Popes ( already saints before beatification), icons of ANY kind.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:57 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
I didn't want to bash Catholicism as I attended Catholic grade school ( attended mass every day except Saturday) I was the alumni president of my graduating class at Catholic High. My intention is to at least warn of excessive religousity ( knowing many events ,icons and beliefs are held sacred and loved) . One can for example counter my suspicions that Bernadette's story has so many holes its dissappointing ,but the cures at Lourdes a joy in spite of all the skepticism. Faith is powerful, just put it into perspective . As a evangelical we do not hold Mary a divinity or immaculate . We respect and love her for her being a FOLLOWER of Jesus and a great decendant from the House of David ( hand picked !) We do not promote intercessory prayer to Mary or consider her the mother of the universe as some zealots manifest. The main point is for all christians to remember No one ....No one goes to the Father but by me ......Jesus . Beware of vain repitition in prayer . We need to be careful not to manufacture addons to Jesus whether man ordained saints, dead Popes ( already saints before beatification), icons of ANY kind.
So you can apply skepticism to Catholicism....why stop there?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Who is Bernadette?

And aren't you the guy that thinks Jim Bakker is a respectful preacher?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Who is Bernadette?

And aren't you the guy that thinks Jim Bakker is a respectful preacher?

I guess this is who Openmike is alluding to here;

Bernadette Soubirous of Lourdes - life and background

Old 05-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Good point there have been many instances of questionable miracles within all faiths. As I mentioned
or implied healing for example has little to do with a purveyor of let's say a healing service. In fairness they "bring it" Without many services with "like believers " where the focus is on prayer and healing a segment of folks may not have received the healing so fellowship has it's strong points. Many miracles could be traced to Gods hand on a medical procedure not expected to be a cure but inspite of low percent outcomes bingo a cure. Religousity gone insane happened in Clearwater Florida where a broken water sprinkler head sprayed a large bank buildings window with iron ladened water forming the image of the virgin Mary. Thousands made pilgrimages from all over the world . Kneelers where put in place and a huge crucifix in a grotto like the bank was purchased by a Catholic organization I never identified. It was a mix of faithful finding solice and extreme religousity . Some kid thought it funny to shoot out the window ending THAT aparition and horribly wrong to desecrate a monument silly as it was conceived and manifested. Many sought spiritual blessings and worship not just Catholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality