Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Yeah but the drowning of all the animals would mean no barbecued offerings for quite a while. That's like cutting off one's nose to spite his face.
Wrong! The first thing this righteous idiot did after the waters drained was set fire to animals.

Or maybe he only lit up the dinosaurs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:15 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
People don't get that the Bible is a collection of stories that were told. There was a time before television and social media when storytellers were the entertainment. Stories told verbally tend to be embellished and made more interesting.

While I know God exists and is an important part of my life, the stories are just that, stories. If you take and look at many different religions, you'll see that they "filled in the blanks" about what they didn't understand.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:37 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
People don't get that the Bible is a collection of stories that were told. There was a time before television and social media when storytellers were the entertainment. Stories told verbally tend to be embellished and made more interesting.

While I know God exists
and is an important part of my life, the stories are just that, stories. If you take and look at many different religions, you'll see that they "filled in the blanks" about what they didn't understand.
I'm guessing god being an embellished story never crossed your mind, huh?

And exactly how do you know god exists?

Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 AM

261 posts, read 156,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

While I know God exists and is an important part of my life, the stories are just that, stories. If you take and look at many different religions, you'll see that they "filled in the blanks" about what they didn't understand.
How do you 'know' god exists as there is no verifiable evidence to support its existence?

Old 06-07-2016, 06:43 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Drowns millions in a temper tantrum over something humans did and loves the killing of goats to appease himself. The biggest animal abuser in the history of the world. Punishment should be an infinite life sentence banned to an alternate universe where the abuser cannot engage in this activity or any other sociopathic activity for that matter.
Don't take this as tacit approval of the story (the Bible containing a very young version of a very old tale) or the moral implications, but the text of Genesis gives several rationales for why animals were included in the flood - one of which implicates their culpability as well!

If you're curious as why there are 2 rationales from 2 versions of the Flood myth in Genesis, look up the Documentary Hypothesis - a standard model of Biblical scholarship. The 1st rationale is from J (the Yahwist), is probably the oldest strand of the Flood myth in Genesis and implicates humans:
Now YHWH saw
that great was humankind's evildoing on earth
and every form of their heart's planning was only evil all the day.
Then YHWH was sorry
that he had made humankind on earth,
and it pained his heart.
YHWH said:
I will blot out humankind, whom I have created, from the face of the soil,
from man to beast, to crawling thing and to the fowl of the heavens,
for I am sorry that I made them.
(Genesis 6:5-7 SB, Fox)
Above the culpablity is solely due to the "evildoing" of humanity. This is rather unjust for the poor animals, indeed.

The 2nd rationale is from P (the Priestly source), and this time animals are part of the problem!
Now the earth had gone to ruin before God, the earth was filled with wrongdoing.
God saw the earth, and here: it had gone to ruin,
for all flesh had ruined its way upon the earth.

God said to Noah:
An end of all flesh has come before me,
for the earth is filled with wrongdoing through them,
here, I am about to bring ruin upon them, along with the earth.
(Genesis 6:11-13 Ibid.)
In the above story it is "all flesh" that has corrupted the earth, and yes the Hebrew does indeed signify all living things under the phrase "all flesh". What the crimes were can be conjectured by following the story to its conclusions and the Noahide Covenant that is eventually set up. It is possible that the animals began corrupting the earth by eating one another, which would have involved the consumption of blood from a living being - a big No-No to the Priestly author who penned this version of the Flood myth.

Pick your poison! I like the version in which the animals get in trouble as well... it's much funnier. The other version is just too tragic.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Drowns millions in a temper tantrum over something humans did and loves the killing of goats to appease himself. The biggest animal abuser in the history of the world. Punishment should be an infinite life sentence banned to an alternate universe where the abuser cannot engage in this activity or any other sociopathic activity for that matter.
It could be something altogether different than what you ascribe to be God's reason for having to wipe out life on earth.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It could be something altogether different than what you ascribe to be God's reason for having to wipe out life on earth.
Yes, it always comes down to a mystery when its nonsensical.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Or maybe he only lit up the dinosaurs?

Yabba dabba do!

Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post

The 2nd rationale is from P (the Priestly source), and this time animals are part of the problem!
Now the earth had gone to ruin before God, the earth was filled with wrongdoing.
God saw the earth, and here: it had gone to ruin,
for all flesh had ruined its way upon the earth.

God said to Noah:
An end of all flesh has come before me,
for the earth is filled with wrongdoing through them,
here, I am about to bring ruin upon them, along with the earth.
(Genesis 6:11-13 Ibid.)
In the above story it is "all flesh" that has corrupted the earth, and yes the Hebrew does indeed signify all living things under the phrase "all flesh". What the crimes were can be conjectured by following the story to its conclusions and the Noahide Covenant that is eventually set up. It is possible that the animals began corrupting the earth by eating one another, which would have involved the consumption of blood from a living being - a big No-No to the Priestly author who penned this version of the Flood myth.

Pick your poison! I like the version in which the animals get in trouble as well... it's much funnier. The other version is just too tragic.
And as always, the story was bound to have a big hole in it in no time flat...and I'm sure a few people noted that even then, but it would have been a no-no to say so.

I mean if animals HAD to eat one another to survive, and if God created that condition (since He created everything, full stop...even evil, according to the Bible...and certainly, per the stories, He must have set up punishment conditions Himself), yet the animals "corrupted" the earth by what they were forced by God's own system to do, well...

...and round and round we go.

It all really reads like a kindergarten picture-book. It's like watching a cartoon and saying "such-and-such would physically be impossible" and someone wiser saying, "but that's because it's all just make-pretend."

It is.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yes, it always comes down to a mystery when its nonsensical.
Yes.

In the good old days of morals and decency, when people's fingernails would be torn out with pliers or their shoulders and hips jerked permanently from the sockets for expressing doubt or disbelief, the above explanation did just fine and was basically a warning: "Don't ask any more than you already have...or else."

Unfortunately, in today's corrupt, evil society where we don't allow people to be tortured and torn apart immediately before being burned or choked slowly to death for saying "Um what?", it just doesn't work as well, and lo and behold, people are questioning aloud now, instead of just shaking their heads in private while glancing furtively around to be sure they hadn't been seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality