Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And as always, the story was bound to have a big hole in it in no time flat...and I'm sure a few people noted that even then, but it would have been a no-no to say so.

I mean if animals HAD to eat one another to survive, and if God created that condition (since He created everything, full stop...even evil, according to the Bible...and certainly, per the stories, He must have set up punishment conditions Himself), yet the animals "corrupted" the earth by what they were forced by God's own system to do, well...

...and round and round we go.

It all really reads like a kindergarten picture-book. It's like watching a cartoon and saying "such-and-such would physically be impossible" and someone wiser saying, "but that's because it's all just make-pretend."

It is.
There was no hole for the ancient readers of the text, if they paid attention. The logic used in Genesis is that everyone (including animals) were created to be vegans heh heh! And then they screwed it up... oh geez.

Keep in mind that these stories are thousands of years old, long before Aristotelian logic. They do have their own internal logic, though it can be difficult to grasp it if one is not familiar with the cultural norms of the time or of the text in question. Knowing P's Creation Myth can be helpful.

Of course, we can pick a million holes in the scientific details in these ancient works, but that's too easy and misses the point (I suppose it will upset some Fundamentalists, but whattya gonna do?).

Again, I don't endorse these stories as factual (who does?), but there is some consistency in the logic (logic can be consistent and entirely untrue!). Many ancient myths had a time before history where things were very different. Flood myths across cultures usually marked a "recreation" or a rise of civilization - a great shift in time between ancient primeval time and actual recorded history. Heck, the Flood myth of P "uncreates" everything and begins again. The idea is quite fascinating. My point, however, is that many of these myths envisioned an idyllic state of peace. The Bible was no exception.

No matter how nonsensical it is, the Creation myth in Genesis paints a picture of a world in which everything - even animals - were vegetarians. From the same source (P) in which animals helped to "ruin" the earth:
God said:
Here, I give you
all plants that bear seeds that are upon the face of all the earth,
and all trees in which there is tree fruit that bears seeds.,
for you shall they be, for eating;
and also for all the living things of the earth, for all the fowl or the heavens, for all that crawls about upon the earth in which there is living being -
all green plants for eating.
It was so.
(Genesis 1:29-30 SB Fox)
I know.... the mighty lion waiting in ambush, his powerful muscles ready to spring him into action to seize the wily Daisy flower. Ridiculous. BUT there is a logic that the ancients understood and incorporated into their fascinating myths. The problem is when moderns take these fables to be real history. Thank God those types of believers are slowly falling by the wayside.

Enjoy the stories for what they are, I suppose, and laugh at that first lion who said "Man, I am SO sick of celery! What's the worst that could happen if I just... you know, take a nibble off my friendly neighbor?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
People don't get that the Bible is a collection of stories that were told. There was a time before television and social media when storytellers were the entertainment. Stories told verbally tend to be embellished and made more interesting.

While I know God exists and is an important part of my life, the stories are just that, stories. If you take and look at many different religions, you'll see that they "filled in the blanks" about what they didn't understand.
Oral stories don't typically include historical and intricate details. If I was telling a story about Noah handed down from generation to generation, I doubt that I would include details like the exact measurements of the ship or details about a foreign culture like Egypt.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:42 PM

249 posts, read 188,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
The god of the Bible is in need of serious psychiatric attention if it exists.

The god of the bible if it exists is beyond hope. It allowed its son to die brutally on the cross to save the sinners. It allows so much hatred, torment, violence, war, and bloodshed to occur regularly on the planet it supposedly created. And so on and so on.
This so-called god is an evil pathetic ahole but it's a shame the christians and all the other religious kooks can't realize this by now.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:43 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Kaboom!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 03:47 PM

247 posts, read 236,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oral stories don't typically include historical and intricate details. If I was telling a story about Noah handed down from generation to generation, I doubt that I would include details like the exact measurements of the ship or details about a foreign culture like Egypt.
Because it certainly wouldn't be because details make it seem somehow more credible than it really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Old 06-07-2016, 04:14 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Sure blame God and eat some form of meat this week, sound like hypocrisy

Old 06-07-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sure blame God and eat some form of meat this week, sound like hypocrisy
why did god make everything food for something else hljc? Why all the suffering for food?

Your god is a monster

Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM

249 posts, read 188,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
why did god make everything food for something else hljc? Why all the suffering for food?

Your god is a monster

It's further proof to me that plant, insect, animal, and human life came to exist on earth through a natural course----not because of some imaginary god or divine power.
All forms of life were meant to use the earth's resources, up to and including consumption of other forms of life for nourishment. Again, it's all part of nature, not some stupid ahole god.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
It's further proof to me that plant, insect, animal, and human life came to exist on earth through a natural course----not because of some imaginary god or divine power.
All forms of life were meant to use the earth's resources, up to and including consumption of other forms of life for nourishment. Again, it's all part of nature, not some stupid ahole god.
Seems I've already rep'd you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality