Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think it's time to turn off the AM radio.
Head in the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
That's because the LARGE majority of it isn't charity, and doesn't go to charitable activities. Essentially, your link is garbage if it takes into account church offerings. Take that out of the equation, and then let's see who has the most giving. Hint: It wouldn't be the south.
How funny that someone who obviously does not go to church and is not a part of the Christian community is suddenly an expert on church finances and spending. Got any proof to back up your statement? Church offerings or not, it still doesn't take away from the fact that it's near 0% in highly liberal less religious regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

Another problem with a lot of these things, is that they take into account things like "percentage of income given to charity". You may not think that is a problem, but let's think about it....

Someone in Mississippi gives 2,000 and they make 30k, that is 6.6% of income.
Someone in Massachusetts gives 3,000 and they make 60k, that is only 5%, but they still gave more money. Their cost of living is also much greater than backwards MS, which has a big impact on how much you can give.

Point is, these things are not very accurate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And yet when it comes to a study or survey that goes against Christianity, your ilk eats it up and accepts it without question.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:48 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Christians give more to the needy than non believers- that is to be expected. Truth be told, many Christians do not give nearly as much as they could or should.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Let me see.

My roads in the winter are cleared of ice and snow. My government helped us after Sandy demolished thousands of homes. Last year my government help us after the worst flood in our history.

My government provides lights on the roads, and speed limits. My government provided my children with a great education, and affordable Community and State Colleges.

Your church does not repair the roads you use. It does not clear the ice and snow. It does not build dams and bridges. Your church does not maintain public lands, or beaches.

My government provides people with healthcare.
And my government carves up my paycheck so I can not only pay for such things but pay for plenty of people who game the system and essentially live off the government. The vast majority of our national debt are entitlement programs. That's not charitable giving. And colleges are hardly affordable. Many people are drowning in debt from student loans. Government makes you work through red tape to get help in time of disasters. Churches offer it freely without hesitation. A massive coordination of churches and pastors took place to help Katrina victims. Churches as far north as Oklahoma became shelters for the displaced.

You can sing praises of your love for government all you want, but it can never offer what the church does which is giving hope and spiritual healing.

Quote:

Our research suggests that there may be a threshold of stress needed before people shift from a secular way of understanding their experience to a more religious understanding. The more personal the loss or perceived threat of a disaster, the more likely religion and spirituality will be engaged amid that disaster. We found meaning-making drastically decreases trauma symptoms.

To our surprise, when we specifically separated out and analyzed spiritual meaning-making, trauma symptoms actually went up.
What Kind of Faith Helped People Survive Hurrican... | Christianity Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

I sleep better knowing my government provides us the military to keep us safe.

I have never had a problem with this President, and every President going on vacation. I am glad to help provide for his protection, and the protection of his family.

I can visit any government building in DC, and in my state. So many of them are really beautiful. The peoples house, my taxes pay for. I am proud of the things we have accomplished in this country.

Hoover Dam is a magnificent structure. My government took us to Space. We have walked on the Moon. We are going to Mars and beyond.

After 9/11, my government provided the money and tools for a long recovery. My government did not cower, and gave me hope. Despite the fact I could smell the burned bodies, the twisted steel, and the terrible smoke that burned my nostrils, I knew my government was there for us.

I have never had the opportunity to sit on a $50,000 toilet. Does a hand come out and wipe your arse?
Well if we are using personal stories as evidence, I'll share one too. When my dad was in critical care and needed an emergency quadruple bypass, members of my church family made the 100 mile drive to be with us and pray during his surgery. That's true love and charity. And it meant so much to me and gave us great comfort. Even more touching, the youth of the church took time to go mow his yard so he had a neatly trimmed lawn when he came home. Would the government do that?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:26 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And my government carves up my paycheck so I can not only pay for such things but pay for plenty of people who game the system and essentially live off the government. The vast majority of our national debt are entitlement programs. That's not charitable giving. And colleges are hardly affordable. Many people are drowning in debt from student loans. Government makes you work through red tape to get help in time of disasters. Churches offer it freely without hesitation. A massive coordination of churches and pastors took place to help Katrina victims. Churches as far north as Oklahoma became shelters for the displaced.

You can sing praises of your love for government all you want, but it can never offer what the church does which is giving hope and spiritual healing.

What Kind of Faith Helped People Survive Hurrican... | Christianity Today

Well if we are using personal stories as evidence, I'll share one too. When my dad was in critical care and needed an emergency quadruple bypass, members of my church family made the 100 mile drive to be with us and pray during his surgery. That's true love and charity. And it meant so much to me and gave us great comfort. Even more touching, the youth of the church took time to go mow his yard so he had a neatly trimmed lawn when he came home. Would the government do that?
Stop complaining and do something about it. There are plenty of nations with no social services to pay for. Somalia seems like a good place for you. There's also Uganda which has laws against homosexuality. Move there if you think it's so much better.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Stop complaining and do something about it. There are plenty of nations with no social services to pay for. Somalia seems like a good place for you. There's also Uganda which has laws against homosexuality. Move there if you think it's so much better.
Ok then stop complaining about Christians exercising their right to freedom of religion. If you hate Christians so much then perhaps China or North Korea would be a good place for you.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
How funny that someone who obviously does not go to church and is not a part of the Christian community is suddenly an expert on church finances and spending. Got any proof to back up your statement? Church offerings or not, it still doesn't take away from the fact that it's near 0% in highly liberal less religious regions.
Jeffy, I don't think you are understanding my point. I am not claiming to be an expert on anything. Take your graph for example. It is nothing but "% of income". This does not give an accurate picture. If the Wilson's in Clarke County, AL make 20k a year, and give $1,000 to charity (mostly to a church most likely), they gave 5%. If the Wilson's in Westchester County, NY make 100k a year, and give $5,000 a year, they gave 5%. They are equal in "% of income", but obviously the Wilson's in NY gave 5x what they Wilson's in AL did.

If church offerings are taken into account, then I am sorry, but it is not accurate. That is not charitable giving, unless the offerings went SPECIFICALLY to charity. Even you would agree, most offerings do not. Also, volunteering is big in some places. Was that measured? If not, it is not accurate. Even if it was, then it is probably not accurate, as people tend to exaggerate their involvement in volunteering.

Quote:
And yet when it comes to a study or survey that goes against Christianity, your ilk eats it up and accepts it without question.
I don't accept anything without question. I think you are thinking of yourself, and your religious brethren.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:10 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Ok then stop complaining about Christians exercising their right to freedom of religion. If you hate Christians so much then perhaps China or North Korea would be a good place for you.
Freedom of Religion =/= the right to infringe on someone else's rights.

You probably wouldn't like it if Muslims demanded "freedom of religion" by your definition.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Freedom of Religion =/= the right to infringe on someone else's rights.

You probably wouldn't like it if Muslims demanded "freedom of religion" by your definition.
Really, tell me how is a police officer displaying an image of the cross on his vehicle infringing on people's rights?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:35 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Really, tell me how is a police officer displaying an image of the cross on his vehicle infringing on people's rights?

Ask the Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, pagan, or Buddhist man or woman being stopped and questioned by a representative of state authority driving around in an official vehicle displaying a Christian religious logo .

Especially in the rural South .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality