Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:41 PM

328 posts, read 262,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I don't see how the flashing light fits your theory that we all live the same life over and over with the same exact parents. I do see how it fits your theory that the light some see close to death is the same light as the light at conception. However, fitting your theory and proving your theory are not the same thing.

That said, if you want to believe this, knock yourself out.

I do wonder about this from the article:

Do you also believe that animals are reincarnated?
I just think the light at the very moment of dying and the light at the very moment of conception is very interesting. Perhaps there is some connection? I just brought it up because I've never heard anyone talk about this connection before.

Why wouldn't animals be reincarnated over and over? They are life forms just like we are.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:44 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
So I've been absolutely fascinated about this subject for a long time and have been trying to find an answer to this mystery. I've though long and hard about this theory. Here it goes....
Anything is possible. But I think you are fixing here on associating two references to light into something way more than it can possibly support.

To my mind, if death is simply a reboot of some kind, in which what I now regard as "me" will be a new "me" with different memories and life events, it is no different from death being equivalent to oblivion. Or put another way ... if my consciousness is some kind of "raw stuff" that will be recycled into a new consciousness ... even if that consciousness is similar to me, if it has no recollection of past life then it's no different than saying that my body will break down into its component atoms eventually, dust to dust.

In any case I'm fine with that. I am a mortal, finite being who -- depending on how you view it -- is either cursed or blessed with either the burden or the opportunity to exist for a brief while, to live and love as best I can. To aspire to more is to try to function outside my true scope.

If it turns out that when I breathe my last I awaken in some extension of this life, I will be surprised and a bit worried that eternity is far too much for me to bear forever, even without overt suffering. If it turns out that when I breath my last, that's the end ... or in the alternative, it is the birth of some different being ... then this life is all there is, either way, for me personally.

Everything we know points to our mortality and the absence of an afterlife of any sort. Nothing we know that is valid empirical evidence or logical argument points the other way.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
I just think the light at the very moment of dying and the light at the very moment of conception is very interesting. Perhaps there is some connection? I just brought it up because I've never heard anyone talk about this connection before.

Why wouldn't animals be reincarnated over and over? They are life forms just like we are.
I don't have an opinion, I just wondered what you thought.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Anything is possible. But I think you are fixing here on associating two references to light into something way more than it can possibly support.

To my mind, if death is simply a reboot of some kind, in which what I now regard as "me" will be a new "me" with different memories and life events, it is no different from death being equivalent to oblivion. Or put another way ... if my consciousness is some kind of "raw stuff" that will be recycled into a new consciousness ... even if that consciousness is similar to me, if it has no recollection of past life then it's no different than saying that my body will break down into its component atoms eventually, dust to dust.

In any case I'm fine with that. I am a mortal, finite being who -- depending on how you view it -- is either cursed or blessed with either the burden or the opportunity to exist for a brief while, to live and love as best I can. To aspire to more is to try to function outside my true scope.

If it turns out that when I breathe my last I awaken in some extension of this life, I will be surprised and a bit worried that eternity is far too much for me to bear forever, even without overt suffering. If it turns out that when I breath my last, that's the end ... or in the alternative, it is the birth of some different being ... then this life is all there is, either way, for me personally.

Everything we know points to our mortality and the absence of an afterlife of any sort. Nothing we know that is valid empirical evidence or logical argument points the other way.
That's interesting. Am I still me if I don't remember me?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

But the light.......... It's present in both life AND death. It's at the very beginning of our existence and it's at the very end of our existence.

I didn't know that this light existed at the very moment of our existence until this scientific study.

There has got to be some sort of connection. It was just my theory.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
But the light.......... It's present in both life AND death. It's at the very beginning and at the very end of our existence.

I didn't know that the light existed during birth until this scientific study.

Is it the same light? How was that measured? Someone who claims to have seen a bright light during a NDE also observed the light generated at fertilization in this experiment and found the two similar?

I think if science could measure some light when someone dies, that would lend more credence to the theory.

You've heard about the theory that the bright lights of NDE are from a surge of electrical activity in the brain?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Is it the same light? How was that measured? Someone who claims to have seen a bright light during a NDE also observed the light generated at fertilization in this experiment and found the two similar?

I think if science could measure some light when someone dies, that would lend more credence to the theory.

You've heard about the theory that the bright lights of NDE are from a surge of electrical activity in the brain?
That's a good question. I'm not sure. I have contacted Professor Teresa Woodruff at Northwestern University about this a week ago. Hopefully she provides more details.

Yes I have read about bright lights from NDE's being from a surge of electrical activity in the brain. I know scientists have tested brain activity on dying rats and have observed these lights. That's what makes this even more interesting.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I don't have an opinion, I just wondered what you thought.
I believe animals are reincarnated for a purpose. It may seem silly to us to why a dog or cat gets reborn into the same exact life over and over, but there are a lot of things humans don't understand in this universe. I think all life forms live the exact same life over and over until they are ready to evolve to the next higher life form in life.

FWIW, I believe aliens flying around in those metallic saucers were once humans in previous lives, but they have evolved to the next higher form of life.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:39 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
But the light.......... It's present in both life AND death. It's at the very beginning of our existence and it's at the very end of our existence.

I didn't know that this light existed at the very moment of our existence until this scientific study.

Why does there have to be some sort of connection? I don't understand.

This thread is a good example of why science is best left to actual scientists, rather than untrained people who see patterns, connections, and causal relations everywhere, even where none exist.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why does there have to be some sort of connection? I don't understand.

This thread is a good example of why science is best left to actual scientists, rather than untrained people who see patterns, connections, and causal relations everywhere, even where none exist.
Well that's why I contacted the professor at Northwestern. Perhaps she can shed on all of this. I emailed her this thread as well. Fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality