Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 06:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

I may be wrong but once again, it seems that people agreeing think they are in disagreement.

" 'Come, come!' said Gandalf. 'We are all friends here. Or should be; for the laughter of Mordor will be our only reward, if we quarrel.'"(LoR T/T)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:49 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I may be wrong but once again, it seems that people agreeing think they are in disagreement.

" 'Come, come!' said Gandalf. 'We are all friends here. Or should be; for the laughter of Mordor will be our only reward, if we quarrel.'"(LoR T/T)
Not a misguided quote at all...

Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Avatar, the last air bender, was a cartoon. It was made for kids but explored very adult themes. Many of those themes were spiritual/religious in nature.

My stepson turned me on to it. Honestly, it's probably the single most progenitor of questioning, at that time, why I was atheist. The interplay of man and spirit, destiny, doing what's right vs expected...

Inspiration and questioning can come from many angles. Some of my mental health providers use some of the dialogue for their patients.

How is any of that negative, if it's helping other humans?

Face it Stymie , you're just one sick puppy who gets his kicks from laughing at car wrecks and famines , earthquakes , and such

Old 07-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Face it Stymie , you're just one sick puppy who gets his kicks from laughing at car wrecks and famines , earthquakes , and such
That's a comment that can't even be rationalized.

Maybe take a walk, run, work out and listen to : https://youtu.be/GmEwuZGu74M

Old 07-02-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
That's a comment that can't even be rationalized.

Maybe take a walk, run, work out and listen to : https://youtu.be/GmEwuZGu74M

Just humorous comment based on post 341 . I guess I should have went with the big grin icon rather than the eye roll .

To be honest you have got me interested in the air bender cartoons now . Reading about it on Wiki it was universally well received and critically acclaimed . I may have to check one or two out .

Last edited by wallflash; 07-02-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Just humorous comment based on post 341 . I guess I should have went with the big grin icon rather than the eye roll .

To be honest you have got me interested in the air bender cartoons now . Reading about it on Wiki it was universally well received and critically acclaimed . I may have to check one or two out .
Honestly, it was one of the best written shows I've ever seen.

A pacifist who is cast to be the bridge between human and spirit... Master of the 4 elements and faced with taking a life which goes against his teachings.

Not schilling but it has taught, or reminded me, of aspects of philosophy and humanity that often get lost in today's digital age.

Uncle Iroh's pow's (pearls of wisdom) are timeless.

Pride is not the opposite of shame but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.

Last edited by Stymie13; 07-02-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 AM

595 posts, read 332,002 times
Quote:
Sigh... My post was in response to
Quote:
If you find laughter and humility a disaster, that's your perogative.
I was responding in kind with the same pattern to hammer in my point that a world with levity ONLY would be a disaster. I never said or implied that ANY levity at all was a disaster or anything about humility at all. Nor was I saying that Stymie got "kicks from laughing" at such things!

Definitely, a case of a discussion in a fast downward spiral!

Quote:
Avatar, the last air bender, was a cartoon. It was made for kids but explored very adult themes. Many of those themes were spiritual/religious in nature.
My two older boys (I have three) watched this show a lot and I watched bits but the show never caught much of my interest.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Let's review this .

Stymie said

Quote:
Aang, avatar the last air ended.

Sorry you guys need some levity

Note that nowhere does Stymie suggest that we engage in all levity all the time , with no seriousness ever allowed . In response to this harmless bit of humor you went off the rails with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
How can you know any such thing? This reaction says more about you, that you don't like any seriousness about anything. That is ok for some people for a while, but remaking the world to be levity only would be a disaster.
And so Stymie replied with this , which takes the reference to disasters from your above .

Quote:
If you find laughter and humility a disaster, that's your perogative.

Mystic mentioned body and wind. I'll quote:

Let go your earthly tether
Enter the void
Empty
And become wind

Think about it

You then go even further down the crazy road with this , which most certainly does suggest that Stymie might enjoy laughing at disastrous things .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
No doubt your insertion of words like "humility" to make people say what you want them to say is just your idea of a joke. I just call it dishonest.

If you are just going to laugh when people get sick, that is YOUR prerogative, but thank God some people are more serious about human health.

If you are just going to laugh when there is a big accident, that is YOUR prerogative, but thank God some people are more serious about helping those in who are hurt.

If you are just going to laugh when children are starving, that is YOUR prerogative, but thank God some people are more serious about helping those in who are in need.
As I previously said, wow.

Just to get this all in perspective of how this line of discussion came about , since you seem to be trying to suggest there was some rational reason or cause for your responses .

Last edited by wallflash; 07-02-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 03:13 PM

595 posts, read 332,002 times
Quote:
You then go even further down the crazy road with this , which most certainly does suggest that Stymie might enjoy laughing at disastrous things .
What I suggested Stymie might do was absurd but no more absurd than what Stymie suggested about me.

He changed
remaking the world to be levity only would be a disaster
into
find laughter and humility a disaster

What I said after that was supposed to be absurd in order to point out the absurdity of what he just said about me. That was part of the point I was making. But the main point was that these were examples of why levity only was not at good thing.

Nobody would laugh at people getting sick and nobody would think laughter and humility was a disaster. BUT it would be a disaster if people responded to EVERYTHING with levity and nothing with seriousness.

To complain about this is total hypocrisy, saying it is ok for Stymie to do it but not for anybody else. I will never accept this but will certainly throw back the crap they pull right back at them.

I made the first error not seeing the apologetic nature of his first comment, but his reaction was extreme. And then the both of you began projecting your own anger on to me, making it over the top ridiculous.

But... I have little doubt we will never agree and continue to see things differently, even on something like this. So how can it be surprising me and MysticPHD will continue to see things differently on the topic of metaphysics.

Last edited by mitchellmckain; 07-02-2016 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM

LOL . It's so cute that you see someone questioning your absurd reactions ( PLURAL) to harmless humor as hypocrisy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality