Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:28 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Sorry but, how is a "belief that homosexual act is a sin" equates to "enforcing one's own religious beliefs onto others" ?

If I believe that homosexuality is a sin, does it automatically mean that I am forcing all homosexuals (without knowing their religious afflilition) to convert into my faith ?

If your purpose is not to inform them that they are violating your religious rules in the hope that they might consider altering their lifestyle to conform to your advice , then what would be the purpose in saying anything at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's the problem right there. Simply talking about what the Bible says is equated to "condemning others".

Not always . Please read post 87 . And are you really telling me you don't see a difference between discussing what the Bible considers sin or not , and this post from a Christian

"It's called SIN.

Sin justifies itself - always.

So do gays. Their sin is so deep, in fact, that like the pharisees of Jesus' time they call for tolerance even as they practice it themselves against those who do not agree with them. Their sin is so deep that they refuse to admit to it. Instead they parade their licentiousness down our streets and boast in it. Intolerant to a fault, they demand continually that everyone else allow them to insinuate their filthy habits into our private lives and religion.

Gays are the most hypocritical group in the world today. Hypocritical religions could take lessons from them."

To me the difference is obvious . I am amazed that anyone would have difficulty distinguishing this from a scholarly discussion of the Bible and homosexuality , or any other sin.

And at any point will you feel capable of discussing 1 Cor 5:9 ? Or does the thought of doing so scare you for some reason?

Last edited by wallflash; 06-19-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 04:18 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post

And at any point will you feel capable of discussing 1 Cor 5:9 ? Or does the thought of doing so scare you for some reason?

Just a side note to think about for what it is worth, being handed over to Satan is not always what people think it means, and also think about this person being a member of a church, not just a Joe Shmoe on the street and even in this case, his spirit is saved, ''WHY?''

1 Corinthians 5
5hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith will not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”…

People have asked me what is the practical application in walking through the feast days and this reference of Peter to be sifted is in the wheat harvest but he returns.

''Blessed are my people Egypt, and blessed is the work of my hands Assyria, and God bless Israel, mine inheritance.''

Coming out of Egypt is to come out of the ways of the world and then you fall back and God begins to work with his own hand and brings you into Assyria, until you can become Israel.

My opinion, but being handed over to Satan is not always a black and white thing.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
If your discussion took place in a setting between Christians discussing the Bible, then I agree with your take . Others coming in should be aware that the discussion centers in the beliefs of Christianity, and if they want to participate then they should do so with that understanding
It should no matter where it takes place, but lets take the "Christianity" forum for example, where people come in to accuse Christians of hatred, bigotry, idolatry, etc, and to call them cultists, bible worshippers etc simply because of their view of what the Bible says. But like I said, it should not matter where it takes place, because if they have the right to speak about their faith anywhere they want, and such discussions do not condemn anyone. Your disagreement with them does not mean they condemn you, it only means you disagree with them. If you think certain things are sinful, then fine, feel free to disagree, but no one needs your permission to speak about their beliefs, so the question "why do they think they have the right", is nonsense. Of course they have the right, and you have the right to disagree.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-21-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 11:18 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
That's the problem right there. Simply talking about what the Bible says is equated to "condemning others".
Not really, Finn. Condemning others to hell for any reason is condemning others. Refusing to bake a cake for them is condemning others. Denying them the right to marry is condemning others. Refusing to employ them is condemning others. Defending this discrimination is condemning others. You can THINK what you wish, but when you allow it to affect how others are treated that is condemning others.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not really, Finn. Condemning others to hell for any reason is condemning others. Refusing to bake a cake for them is condemning others. Denying them the right to marry is condemning others. Refusing to employ them is condemning others. Defending this discrimination is condemning others. You can THINK what you wish, but when you allow it to affect how others are treated that is condemning others.
If you want to I've by that rule, you need to quit talking.

Think, don't talk.

Me, in the meanwhile, will talk about my views, and you can cry about being condemned by it all you want, but I know I am not condemning anyone.

I know you want people to shut up about the Bible, but in reality there is nothing you can do about it, so take your own advice, and just think about your own views, and don't talk about them.

See ya, and happy thoughts.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Think, don't talk.

Me, in the meanwhile, will talk about my views, and you can cry about being condemned by it all you want, but I know I am not condemning anyone.

I know you want people to shut up about the Bible, but in reality there is nothing you can do about it, so take your own advice, and just think about your own views, and don't talk about them.

What does 1 Cor 5:9 mean to you ? I think I have asked this a number of times without a response . Are you saying you don't accept this verse of the Bible ?

Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Think, don't talk.
Read the bold, Finn. You can think and talk all you wish, but when you justify or defend the discrimination against and mistreatment of others, then you are effectively condemning them.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:05 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
The subject of this thread comes from some claims made by Christians defending themselves in the Orlando thread . Please note that this is NOT a thread about Orlando . There is already a thread for that and please take any comments about that subject to the proper thread . I mention it only to set the stage for this thread .

Christians there made the point that they are and have in the past merely condemned the sinfulness of homosexuality . Which when said enough by the guys admitting to being condemning finally begs the question, why do you think you should do this, or behave this way ? Note that I do not ask why you think you have this right , people have the right to free speech . Rather I ask why you think you should go around condemning non Christians for not following Christian rules . I , BTW, do not care if they are wrong in their interpretation of homosexuality, that isn't the point . By their interpretation it is sinful, so we will go with that for this discussion. My point is why do conservative Christians feel that non Christians and liberal Christians should abide by and follow the rules of a conservative religious sect they don't belong to or agree with ?

I asked this of them on the Orlando thread and was met with silence . That usually indicates it deserves it own thread because of the deliberate avoidance , which I always read as a red flag , and so here we are .

What conservative Christian (CC) would agree that he should follow Sharia law ? What CC would feel that Muslims had the right to insist all CC females should wear the hijab? Would you appreciate and agree with a Muslim co worker that berated you every day after returning from his prayer about you not praying towards Mecca 5 times a day ? Or one that condemned you every time you admitted to eating pork ? What if you had some Buddhist co workers that routinely pointed out how sinful and primitive you are for killing and eating other animals ? What if your boss was a Buddhist who continually left tracts at your desk pointing out how cruel the meat industry is and how horrible it is for humans to consume animals ?

Would you appreciate any of this ? Would you feel you were truly violating Gods law because you didn't pray to Mecca ? Or that you ( if you are female ) or your wife and daughters are sinful sluts because you go in public without a hijab and let males from outside your family see your face and hair ?

Or would you tell the Muslim or Buddhist trying to force his religious views on you to mind his own business , that you didn't follow his faith and share his beliefs ? And if he ignored your response and continued to harangue you about how sinful you are according to his religion, would you consider it harassment ? I think it likely so .

So , why do conservative Christians feel they have the right to behave in this exact same manner to others? You have every right to insist those that follow your faith live according to the religious principles of that faith or be "sinners ". But why do you think you have the right to condemn others who don't agree with your religious views ? Is everyone in your church so pure and sinless that boredom has set in and you must go and condemn those not of your faith for something to do?

My post here is entirely serious, and sincerely asked for a response from a conservative . Why do you think you have the right to point out and condemn the lives of those who do not follow your faith and don't agree with it ?

Actually it was God who condemns homosexual behavior. And as well a man and a woman having sexual realations out of marriage. And other things.1Cor 6:9-11-- teaches--those that do these things will NOT enter Gods kingdom( eternal life).
So do you think if a follower of God, loves God and his fellow man, they wouldn't try to show them the reality of their choice? Which is as follows

70-90 years of unrepented sin for temporary pleasures versus trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years of pleasures. Surely most are making the wrong choice.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Actually it was God who condemns homosexual behavior. And as well a man and a woman having sexual realations out of marriage. And other things.1Cor 6:9-11-- teaches--those that do these things will NOT enter Gods kingdom( eternal life).
So do you think if a follower of God, loves God and his fellow man, they wouldn't try to show them the reality of their choice? Which is as follows

70-90 years of unrepented sin for temporary pleasures versus trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years of pleasures. Surely most are making the wrong choice.
I'll ask the question yet again.

What does the verse 1 Cor 5:9 mean to Christians ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality