Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:34 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You were criticizing Christians for criticizing others. I find that hypocritical--especially in light of your religion's founder's words.
Okay, well, as I've pointed out before on several occasions, Joseph Smith said nothing more critical about traditional Christianity than the Protestant Reformers before him said about Roman Catholicism. At any rate, he never declared any professing Christian to be a non-Christian just because they had some differences of opinion regarding Christian doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 12:37 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Because for conservative Christians, their religion is not merely "their faith" or "their religion," but THE TRUTH with a capital "T."
Yes, and some Christians, like JWs, make it no secret that they have an absolute monopoly on TRUTH. They will tell it right to your face.

It doesn't matter if their TRUTH has nothing to do with reason.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:53 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am an Episcopalian, and she is a Mormon. We have mutual respect for each other, even though we know the doctrines we chose to associate with don't agree. I can't speak for her, but it doesn't matter to me because part of what I believe is that my way isn't the right way for everyone else. This is where I was led to go, I believe, through my seeking and through the hand of God. That's where she is meant to be. I studied intensely, she has studied intensely. We came to different conclusions, but does it matter in the end? I'm of the mind that we are all going up different paths on the same mountain.
That notion is heretical in conservative Christianity. In conservative Christianity, there is only ONE WAY to God/salvation/immortality: theirs. John 14:6!

It's easy to see why someone like MQ801 is far less likely to condemn non-Christians compared to a conservative Christian.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:54 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Actually, yes. According to Roman Catholicism, they need priestly absolution of sins--which involves confession to the priest, going to Mass, etc. I'm sorry--I should have realized that was what you were talking about. I do have some theological differences with the Catholic Church in regards to salvation.
No reason to apologize While most of my friends are Christian, we don't engage in religious disputes. So most of my knowledge of Christianity is heavily influenced by Catholicism.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:02 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, and some Christians, like JWs, make it no secret that they have an absolute monopoly on TRUTH. They will tell it right to your face.

It doesn't matter if their TRUTH has nothing to do with reason.
Yes, exactly.

And then you have thousands of different conservative Christian groups claiming that their particular doctrinal formulation is THE TRUTH, and that all of the other formulations are wrong.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Who is Alex Jones?

Old 06-18-2016, 01:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well, as I've pointed out before on several occasions, Joseph Smith said nothing more critical about traditional Christianity than the Protestant Reformers before him said about Roman Catholicism. At any rate, he never declared any professing Christian to be a non-Christian just because they had some differences of opinion regarding Christian doctrine.
Martin Luther and the other Reformers considered the RCC to be apostate. So you agree that Joseph Smith was extremely critical of all churches at the time, to the point that they were apostate?

But Joseph Smith aside, you now continue to be critical of me and judge me to be wrong by being critical of others. I find that interesting. And hypocritical. And you're doing the same thing that others are doing.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:26 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Martin Luther and the other Reformers considered the RCC to be apostate. So you agree that Joseph Smith was extremely critical of all churches at the time, to the point that they were apostate?

But Joseph Smith aside, you now continue to be critical of me and judge me to be wrong by being critical of others. I find that interesting. And hypocritical. And you're doing the same thing that others are doing.

Christians debating the rules of Christianity among themselves isn't the point of the OP. There really isn't anything wrong with various groups debating who follows the original more closely .

Old 06-18-2016, 01:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Christians debating the rules of Christianity among themselves isn't the point of the OP. There really isn't anything wrong with various groups debating who follows the original more closely .
Do you not see the point I was making, though? You're saying Christians are wrong to do the very same thing that many other people do to Christians.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:38 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Do you not see the point I was making, though? You're saying Christians are wrong to do the very same thing that many other people do to Christians.

Really? You see pointing out how and asking why Christians condemn others for not following the rules of a religion they don't adhere to the same as these Christians proclaiming non followers of their religion sinners for not following those rules ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality