Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Really? You see pointing out how and asking why Christians condemn others for not following the rules of a religion they don't adhere to the same as these Christians proclaiming non followers of their religion sinners for not following those rules ?
Pointing out and asking? No. I really don't have a problem with the conversation you and I have had today. It's been good. You're asking a question and being very polite and nice while doing it.

I guess I'm pointing fingers more at others that are and have been quite rude and judgmental in the past toward Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 01:56 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That notion is heretical in conservative Christianity. In conservative Christianity, there is only ONE WAY to God/salvation/immortality: theirs. John 14:6!

It's easy to see why someone like MQ801 is far less likely to condemn non-Christians compared to a conservative Christian.
Thank you. Primarily, it's because I'm in no position to condemn anyone else for anything.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:04 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
For anointed Christians who have Gods spirit on their life it is a spiritual authority on the land where they live , as Christians do not need to share the demons of people who sin , as when people sin in the land there are demons which can invade Christ and pollute their lives with demons of people who live on the land who sin uncaring ................ See many Christians do not care if people in Asia live in sin and have demons who they entertain , as they may not even pray for the spiritual lives , because they are out of sight and mind ........ But the sinner who live close by entertain demons , these demons can invade the lives of Christians , as a example the bible say in ...Leviticus 19:29......Do not prostitute your daughter , to cause her to be a harlot, lest the land fall into harlotry, and the land become full of wickedness``............ See people can sin all they want , but not in my back yard ....

Old 06-18-2016, 02:31 PM

Only you are allowed to sin in your backyard?

Old 06-18-2016, 02:42 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Martin Luther and the other Reformers considered the RCC to be apostate. So you agree that Joseph Smith was extremely critical of all churches at the time, to the point that they were apostate?
Yes. The Protestant Reformers considered Roman Catholicism to be apostate. Joseph Smith considered Protestantism as well as Roman Catholicism to be apostate.

Quote:
But Joseph Smith aside, you now continue to be critical of me and judge me to be wrong by being critical of others. I find that interesting. And hypocritical. And you're doing the same thing that others are doing.
It is entirely possible for a mature, rational, adult debater to criticize the position held by someone whose opinion differs from his and maintain his integrity as a Christian in the process. People on this forum do that all the time. I have said on many occasions that I believe some of your beliefs to be in error. I have never once tried to convince anyone that you were not a Christian because you don't accept the LDS interpretation of certain Christian doctrines. As a matter of fact, if you will be entirely honest with yourself, you will have to admit that I have been far less critical of you than most people on this forum.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-18-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 03:00 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
For anointed Christians who have Gods spirit on their life it is a spiritual authority on the land where they live , as Christians do not need to share the demons of people who sin , as when people sin in the land there are demons which can invade Christ and pollute their lives with demons of people who live on the land who sin uncaring ................ See many Christians do not care if people in Asia live in sin and have demons who they entertain , as they may not even pray for the spiritual lives , because they are out of sight and mind ........ But the sinner who live close by entertain demons , these demons can invade the lives of Christians , as a example the bible say in ...Leviticus 19:29......Do not prostitute your daughter , to cause her to be a harlot, lest the land fall into harlotry, and the land become full of wickedness``............ See people can sin all they want , but not in my back yard ....

Are you saying God gives you the authority to condemn non Christians for not following Christian rules if the sinners live close enough to you for their sin to somehow infect you ?

Old 06-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Are you saying God gives you the authority to condemn non Christians for not following Christian rules if the sinners live close enough to you for their sin to somehow infect you ?
That's how I read it.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:31 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Fundamentalist hamartiology (theology of sin) tends to regard sin as a thing-in-itself that is sort of radioactive and yes, they fear that if they are in close proximity to "open" or "brazen" sin that they will be impacted and probably infected by it. The poster you're interacting with further believes that Satanic forces actively work to tempt / mislead / possess people to sin, including believers. Such people use ritual to ward off these evil forces, but are so much more impressed with the power of Satan than the power of God that they live in terror of succumbing to sin anyway. Apart from that, as the poster points out, there's the concern that god will judge even his own people for national sins if things get bad enough. In other words he will punish his followers for not speaking out or resisting enough.

While I don't come from a sect that had those beliefs about literal demon possession, I was taught that Satan is the god of this world and that we are engaged in "spiritual warfare" for people's souls, including our own. For us it was more abstract and philosophical rather than literal demons, but it's basically the same concept.

This provides some of the justification for judging, condemning or resisting people outside the faith who violate some prohibition that is considered sinful. It is seen as an existential threat to be rebuked. The couple down the street living "out of wedlock" or the gay couple holding hands or even people who just aren't church-going are, in their minds, doing such unthinkable things that it is rather like the Orlando nutjob reacting to two men kissing (in front of his kids! the horror!) ... they can only retreat so far into their echo chamber and still function in society, hold down jobs, etc. At some point they have to be confronted with others "living in open sin" and their heads explode.

Last edited by mordant; 06-18-2016 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 04:39 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
The subject of this thread comes from some claims made by Christians defending themselves in the Orlando thread . Please note that this is NOT a thread about Orlando . There is already a thread for that and please take any comments about that subject to the proper thread . I mention it only to set the stage for this thread .

Christians there made the point that they are and have in the past merely condemned the sinfulness of homosexuality . Which when said enough by the guys admitting to being condemning finally begs the question, why do you think you should do this, or behave this way ? Note that I do not ask why you think you have this right , people have the right to free speech . Rather I ask why you think you should go around condemning non Christians for not following Christian rules . I , BTW, do not care if they are wrong in their interpretation of homosexuality, that isn't the point . By their interpretation it is sinful, so we will go with that for this discussion. My point is why do conservative Christians feel that non Christians and liberal Christians should abide by and follow the rules of a conservative religious sect they don't belong to or agree with ?
Outstanding hypocrisy. The real question should be why do non-Christians think they have a right to condemn Christians? To condemn a person or group means to call out that group specifically and express disapproval or a desire to punish that group for not following the rules. My position has always been that everyone should the right to live however they please even if it is sinful. But that doesn't mean I have to keep my mouth shut or start approving of that lifestyle. I will still express my belief that homosexuality is a sin. That's not a personal condemnation. If someone takes it personally, that's their problem. I"ve never called someone out by name and told them do this thing or you will go to hell. Never.

OTOH, the opposition has no problem ripping about Christians, almost acting like a toddler just throwing a furious tantrum for not getting their way. How dare we not bow down and go with the flow! They have become the very monster that they claim to be fighting by going after people like Christian business owners, CONDEMNING them for not wanting to engage in an immoral wedding ceremony and punishing them. That's hypocrisy.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:25 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Outstanding hypocrisy. The real question should be why do non-Christians think they have a right to condemn Christians? To condemn a person or group means to call out that group specifically and express disapproval or a desire to punish that group for not following the rules. My position has always been that everyone should the right to live however they please even if it is sinful. But that doesn't mean I have to keep my mouth shut or start approving of that lifestyle. I will still express my belief that homosexuality is a sin. That's not a personal condemnation. If someone takes it personally, that's their problem. I"ve never called someone out by name and told them do this thing or you will go to hell. Never.

LOL. Thanks for showing up as the walking , talking example of what the point of the thread is .

" I WILL CONTINUE TO POINT OUT THAT PEOPLE REFUSE TO FOLLOW THE RELIGIOUS RULES OF MY FAITH EVEN THOUGH THEY DIDNT AGREE TO JOIN MY CHURCH!!!SO NYAH!

Quote:

OTOH, the opposition has no problem ripping about Christians, almost acting like a toddler just throwing a furious tantrum for not getting their way. How dare we not bow down and go with the flow! They have become the very monster that they claim to be fighting by going after people like Christian business owners, CONDEMNING them for not wanting to engage in an immoral wedding ceremony and punishing them. That's hypocrisy.

Im not going to waste any more time trying to reason with bigots arguing they are being mistreated because society won't allow them to mistreat and abuse people because their religion says they are sinners . No one has ever been told they have to approve of homosexual marriages . They have been told they can't discriminate against gays . If you are not honest enough to admit the difference that's your problem . People no longer care about your whining on it .

Back on topic . What would be your opinion of Muslims haranguing you and your family because you live your lives in a way they believe is sinful?

Last edited by wallflash; 06-18-2016 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality