Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Outstanding hypocrisy. The real question should be why do non-Christians think they have a right to condemn Christians?
we don't, and "normal rational cray" christians don't think non believers are condemned.
only fundy-mentals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 06:31 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Im not going to waste any more time trying to reason with bigots arguing they are being mistreated because society won't allow them to mistreat and abuse people because their religion says they are sinners . No one has ever been told they have to approve of homosexual marriages . They have been told they can't discriminate against gays . If you are not honest enough to admit the difference that's your problem . People no longer care about your whining on it .
Worth a whole lot of 's.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:32 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Im not going to waste any more time trying to reason with bigots arguing they are being mistreated because society won't allow them to mistreat and abuse people because their religion says they are sinners . No one has ever been told they have to approve of homosexual marriages . They have been told they can't discriminate against gays . If you are not honest enough to admit the difference that's your problem . People no longer care about your whining on it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Worth a whole lot of 's.
Agreed!!!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
fundy-mentals
THAT one gets 3 stars!

Old 06-18-2016, 07:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
OTOH, the opposition has no problem ripping about Christians, almost acting like a toddler just throwing a furious tantrum for not getting their way. How dare we not bow down and go with the flow! They have become the very monster that they claim to be fighting by going after people like Christian business owners, CONDEMNING them for not wanting to engage in an immoral wedding ceremony and punishing them. That's hypocrisy.
Let me show you what your statement looks like from the other side:

Quote:
OTOH, the opposition has no problem ripping about non-Christians, almost acting like a toddler just throwing a furious tantrum for not getting their way. How dare we not bow down and go with the flow! They have become the very monster that they claim to be fighting by going after people like non-Christian business owners, CONDEMNING them for not wanting to allow religious bigotry and punishing them. That's hypocrisy.
In the 60s, it was race -- 'non-whites sit at the back of the bus'. In the mid-80s, it was AIDs phobia -- 'Don't sit with them! They have AIDs'. Today, it's LGBTQ rights -- 'they don't deserve equal treatment! They're -homosexuals-!'.

It's always the same; the same hateful behavior, the same fear and bigotry, the same sense of self-entitlement that divides everyone into 'us' and 'them' and makes 'them' something to be feared. The sad thing is, you can't even -- won't even -- see it.

Is that really how you want non-Christians to view your faith? As an intolerant, fearful religion that has to demonize the Other so its followers can sleep a little better tonight?

I thought Christ taught his followers to be better than that.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I get that. Believe it or not, I'm different from what you see online. What I post on these boards are frequently in response to people attacking Christianity. I defend Christianity. People don't like being told their wrong--even when they're attacking others and telling them they're wrong.
For what it's worth, I have never 'judged' you so to speak, by your posts. I see you as 'one of the good guys' actually. I have a religious family remember.

But I do disagree with some of your beliefs or views.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:45 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
LOL. Thanks for showing up as the walking , talking example of what the point of the thread is .

" I WILL CONTINUE TO POINT OUT THAT PEOPLE REFUSE TO FOLLOW THE RELIGIOUS RULES OF MY FAITH EVEN THOUGH THEY DIDNT AGREE TO JOIN MY CHURCH!!!SO NYAH!

Look who is shouting nonsense.

Quote:

Using the label of discrimination to force Christians to violate their religious faith is telling them that they have to approve of gay marriage or pay the price.

Quote:

Back on topic . What would be your opinion of Muslims haranguing you and your family because you live your lives in a way they believe is sinful?
They don't have a right to tell me to live their way. And I don't have a right to tell gays that they must live a certain way. And they don't have a right to demand that a Christian business owners must get involved in their sinful immoral weddings.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:21 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Look who is shouting nonsense.

Your belief that people should follow your religious rules even though they don't believe in your religion certainly is nonsense.

Quote:

Using the label of discrimination to force Christians to violate their religious faith is telling them that they have to approve of gay marriage or pay the price.

They don't have a right to tell me to live their way. And I don't have a right to tell gays that they must live a certain way. And they don't have a right to demand that a Christian business owners must get involved in their sinful immoral weddings.

Personally I would allow Christian businesses to discriminate , with certain conditions. These would be

A) Businesses not wanting to serve homosexuals would have to announce it publicly . On every entry door into the business , every official piece of paperwork , business cards, stationary, invoices , flyers, websites , etc would be the following phrase in the same size, style , and color letter font as the phone number, email , and address .

We don't serve homosexuals .

Nothing allowed to be added as an explanatory reason . Just that phrase on every bit of info that the public would see from that business. That way gays would know not to bother , and so would the rest of the community .

TV ads would have to contain the phrase and say it vocally , and radio ads would have to state clearly at the end of the ad

This business does not serve homosexuals

B) Those businesses using this religious exemption would have to maintain a written database that businesses willing to serve gays could sign on to that would provide info to the community of the alternative businesses gays could go to . This would be accomplished by a page with a link from the website home page titled " Businesses that welcome homosexual customers" , with the ability of other businesses to add their name to the list, and also the business not wanting gay customers would have to provide paper copies at the front door below the required notice on the door that stated " We don't serve homosexuals " . This paper list would have to be updated and printed daily from the website list .

Admittedly I'm not gay so maybe this idea won't meet with the approval of some gays . But I would like to see it done, and let the bigots publicly announce themselves if they feel this strongly their religious rights are being violated .

But back to the topic, when you proclaim the behavior of others as wrong simply because your religious rules deem it sinful, you ARE telling them how to live their lives . You are proclaiming their way of life wrong, implying to them that they should alter it, and alter it to follow a way you approve of so that you don't have to continue proclaiming them sinners . So your stance is hypocritical , which is par for the course . You would object to harassment from Muslims who disapproved of your lifestyle , but feel you should have the right to insist others lives are sinful by YOUR religious belief .

You're a hypocrite , pure and simple .

Last edited by wallflash; 06-18-2016 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Your belief that people should follow your religious rules even though they don't believe in your religion certainly is nonsense.

Personally I would allow Christian businesses to discriminate , with certain conditions. These would be

A) Businesses not wanting to serve homosexuals would have to announce it publicly . On wvery entry door into the business , every official piece of paperwork , business cards, stationary, invoices , flyers, websites , etc would be the following phrase in the same size, style , and color letter font as the phone number, email , and address .

We don't serve homosexuals .

They don't have a problem serving homosexuals. They just don't want to get involved in a sinful ceremony on any level. Has nothing to do with the person. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Let me show you what your statement looks like from the other side:

In the 60s, it was race -- 'non-whites sit at the back of the bus'. In the mid-80s, it was AIDs phobia -- 'Don't sit with them! They have AIDs'. Today, it's LGBTQ rights -- 'they don't deserve equal treatment! They're -homosexuals-!'.

It's always the same; the same hateful behavior, the same fear and bigotry, the same sense of self-entitlement that divides everyone into 'us' and 'them' and makes 'them' something to be feared. The sad thing is, you can't even -- won't even -- see it.

In the 2010s, it's hatred and bigotry against Christians. Your side has no problem throwing us in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality