Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
Was that the one where a tyrannical branch of the federal government dictated a narrow definition of marriage to the states, who should have been left free to decide for themselves?

Im not 100% sure of the intent here , so I'll ask for clarification . Are you referring to the SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage? If so, you must have misunderstood how the Constitution works, and not realized that such a thing violated the Constitution based on equal rights across the board for all citizens of all states .

Last edited by wallflash; 06-19-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:34 AM

247 posts, read 236,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Im not 100% sure of the intent here , so I'll ask for clarification . Are you referring to the SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage? If so, you must have misunderstood how the Constitution works, and not realized that such a thing violated the Constitution based on equal rights across the board for all citizens of all states .
Sorry, I should have notated my sarcasm. Most conservatives were fine with the federal legislative branch dictating definitions, but when the SCOTUS did it, the argument suddenly shifted to states rights.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Why do Christians think they have the right to condemn non Christians ?
Why should talking about what the Bible says about certain topics make you feel people are condemning you?

It sounds like you are saying they should shut their faces about the Bible. What makes you feel you have the right to do that?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why should talking about what the Bible says about certain topics make you feel people are condemning you?

It sounds like you are saying they should shut their faces about the Bible. What makes you feel you have the right to do that?

Surely you are not serious when you try to claim that folks condemning honosexuality and other selected sins and proclaiming the destruction of America because of them, how these people hate God , are destroying marriage , etc, etc, are merely having random conversations about different biblical topics ?

Do you so hate agreeing with someone who doesn't necessarily believe like you that you act this silly , and put yourself in the position of disagreeing with the clear words of the Bible ?

What does 1 Cor 5:9 and beyond mean to you ?

Last edited by wallflash; 06-19-2016 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
Sorry, I should have notated my sarcasm. Most conservatives were fine with the federal legislative branch dictating definitions, but when the SCOTUS did it, the argument suddenly shifted to states rights.

Thanks , and sorry to spoil your satire . I'm glad I made sure before proceeding .

Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Surely you are not serious when you try to claim that folks condemning honosexuality and other selected sins and proclaiming the destruction of America because of them, how these people hate God , are destroying marriage , etc, etc, are merely having random conversations about different biblical topics ?

Do you so hate agreeing with someone who doesn't necessarily believe like you that you act this silly , and put yourself in the position of disagreeing with the clear words of the Bible ?

What does 1 Cor 5:9 and beyond mean to you ?
I said what I said, and that wasn't it. There is no need for you to re-word my post, and there is no need to answer a question by asking me three questions. Just answer it, or don't answer it.

I have been attacked and accused of hatred, bigotry and of "condemning homosexuals" simply for having a conversation about what the Bible says.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-19-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I said what I said, and that wasn't it. There is no need for you to re-word my post, and there is no need to answer a question by asking me three questions.

I have been attacked and accused of hatred, bigotry and of "condemning homosexuals" simply for having a conversation about what the Bible says.

If your discussion took place in a setting between Christians discussing the Bible, then I agree with your take . Others coming in should be aware that the discussion centers in the beliefs of Christianity, and if they want to participate then they should do so with that understanding . Gays are not any more the perfect people than anyone else, and I have had my share of vigorous debate with them when we disagree . Non theist gays do not, IMO, have the right to complain about a discussion of homosexuality that takes place as part of a discussion of Christian theology . If they disagree with the theology then they can leave the discussion . Unless the discussion gets into things like how the gays just want to deny God to keep sinning or some other attack that moves beyond the simple fact that the Bibke declares homosexuality a sin, in which this case I think even within a discussion of theology you become condemning of others .

My point is to those that come here into this general forum and proclaim the sinfulness of those arguing for things like gay marriage or the decent treatment of gays by conservative theists . You have stepped into a different arena here, and in the general area of normal daily life , and should conduct yourself accordingly . In this case I think the words of 1 Cor 5:9 should apply, and I am interested in your take on this .

Last edited by wallflash; 06-19-2016 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 02:19 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
You mean that never in your time here have you proclaimed to others here how homosexuality is a sin ?

And there is no narrative, only honest questions , so please participate honestly instead of pre reading what you wish into everything I say .
Sorry but, how is a "belief that homosexual act is a sin" equates to "enforcing one's own religious beliefs onto others" ?

If I believe that homosexuality is a sin, does it automatically mean that I am forcing all homosexuals (without knowing their religious afflilition) to convert into my faith ?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Why do Christians think they have the right to condemn non Christians ?
Quote:
You mean that never in your time here have you proclaimed to others here how homosexuality is a sin ?
That's the problem right there. Simply talking about what the Bible says is equated to "condemning others".

Old 06-19-2016, 02:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
a sin doesn't mean condemning.
Does living in sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality