Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Sweet justice: Anti-gay Pastor who celebrated Orlando shootings is getting booted from his building

The landlord has had enough of this hate preaching pastor. That landlord asked the church get out of the building, but if they don't, have been given notice their lease WILL NOT be renewed next year.

Good riddance to bad, stinking, foul rubbish. What a waste of human skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:51 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sweet justice: Anti-gay Pastor who celebrated Orlando shootings is getting booted from his building

The landlord has had enough of this hate preaching pastor. That landlord asked the church get out of the building, but if they don't, have been given notice their lease WILL NOT be renewed next year.

Good riddance to bad, stinking, foul rubbish. What a waste of human skin.
Dumb move.
You watch...it will be just like the bakers. They got rich from donations.
Now this church appears "persecuted". They will get the money to have a bigger & better facility...plus extra.

Abrahamic Religions have it written in their "holy & sacred" Books that homosexuality is a bad thing...a very bad thing. They use words like "abomination", "depravity", and say it is so bad the penalty for it should be death.
That is just the way it is...and many that use those Books as a "Rules For Living Manual" are gonna adopt that view. They comprise half the World Population...and growing.
Many on this board view those Religions the same way they view homosexuality...that it shouldn't change or effect public policy or laws in any way. Neither are any more "right" or "wrong" than the other. It is subjective.
The opposition to each other will continue for a long, long time to come.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Dumb move.
You watch...it will be just like the bakers. They got rich from donations.
Now this church appears "persecuted". They will get the money to have a bigger & better facility...plus extra.

Abrahamic Religions have it written in their "holy & sacred" Books that homosexuality is a bad thing...a very bad thing. They use words like "abomination", "depravity", and say it is so bad the penalty for it should be death.
That is just the way it is...and many that use those Books as a "Rules For Living Manual" are gonna adopt that view. They comprise half the World Population...and growing.
Many on this board view those Religions the same way they view homosexuality...that it shouldn't change or effect public policy or laws in any way. Neither are any more "right" or "wrong" than the other. It is subjective.
The opposition to each other will continue for a long, long time to come.
Maybe people just don't like oppressive fascist thought-police.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe people just don't like oppressive fascist thought-police.
I think people don't like those who celebrate terrorism more.

I actually find the comparison of this to the baker to be completely non-sensical. The baker thing actually does have two sides. For religious reason, people may oppose gay marriage, and while I think that's silly, they do more or less have a right and so long as they treat homosexuals with respect and dignity, I won't call them bad people (I will if they treat homosexuals as sub-human; that's not ok).

But this guy was happy that gay people were killed. That's not a thought police issue at all. That's: this guy is evil and so are people who don't leave that church after hearing someone praise an act of terrorism.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I think people don't like those who celebrate terrorism more.
Have you read the Orlando Massacre thread? It really has more to do with intolerant people that don't like people disagreeing with them. It was a MUSLIM that shot and killed people, and there is all sorts of whining about Christians.
Quote:
I actually find the comparison of this to the baker to be completely non-sensical. The baker thing actually does have two sides. For religious reason, people may oppose gay marriage, and while I think that's silly, they do more or less have a right and so long as they treat homosexuals with respect and dignity, I won't call them bad people (I will if they treat homosexuals as sub-human; that's not ok).

But this guy was happy that gay people were killed. That's not a thought police issue at all. That's: this guy is evil and so are people who don't leave that church after hearing someone praise an act of terrorism.
He's a two-bit nobody fundamentalist preacher that no one had ever heard of until someone decided to get worked up over it. No one was going out and killing people over his comments. No one had even heard of him. As tacky and stupid as his comments were, they were not illegal. But the thought police can't handle someone disagreeing with them, so they made it an issue.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
The Orlando thread is about the RESPONSE of Christians to that tragedy. Much has been positive . Some has been sickening . After 20 yrs as a S Baptist I am confident that there is quite a bit of apathy towards the plight of gays among evangelicals . Not hate, but not the feeling of tragedy .

Why do posters pretend the thread is about insisting a Christian killed them and giving Muslims a free pass ?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Have you read the Orlando Massacre thread? It really has more to do with intolerant people that don't like people disagreeing with them. It was a MUSLIM that shot and killed people, and there is all sorts of whining about Christians.
That's not the larger discussion. It might be a small discussion happening in the religious section of CD, but take a gander at the PoC section. It's Muslims and gun control. The most you'll get is bringing up the Christian preachers who celebrated the attack (there were a few) and people saying that there's also Christian terrorism which is at least technically true.

Quote:
He's a two-bit nobody fundamentalist preacher that no one had ever heard of until someone decided to get worked up over it. No one was going out and killing people over his comments. No one had even heard of him. As tacky and stupid as his comments were, they were not illegal. But the thought police can't handle someone disagreeing with them, so they made it an issue.
This man was speaking to a room full of people. He also puts his sermons on Youtube so anyone can see. He's not just some lune; he's a lune with an audience. That's a problem.

Also, no, what he said wasn't illegal. Who said it was? The property manager of the church said they aren't renewing the lease. The law isn't involved. It's a contract between two private parties. This isn't the thought police. This is a property owner who thinks one of his tenants is an terrible person for expressing happiness over the death of 50 people. Or do you think individuals shouldn't be allowed to have problems with Christians?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
That's not the larger discussion. It might be a small discussion happening in the religious section of CD, but take a gander at the PoC section. It's Muslims and gun control. The most you'll get is bringing up the Christian preachers who celebrated the attack (there were a few) and people saying that there's also Christian terrorism which is at least technically true.

This man was speaking to a room full of people. He also puts his sermons on Youtube so anyone can see. He's not just some lune; he's a lune with an audience. That's a problem.

Also, no, what he said wasn't illegal. Who said it was? The property manager of the church said they aren't renewing the lease. The law isn't involved. It's a contract between two private parties. This isn't the thought police. This is a property owner who thinks one of his tenants is an terrible person for expressing happiness over the death of 50 people. Or do you think individuals shouldn't be allowed to have problems with Christians?
He's a KJV-only fundy Baptist. By definition, that's a very narrow group of people. I'd never heard of the guy, and I doubt anyone on this board had heard of him before he was mentioned by the media.

Do you realize anyone can get a youtube channel? Anyone can podcast? It doesn't mean people are listening or watching.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 PM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
He's a KJV-only fundy Baptist.
Indeed? Then I suspect that David Otis Fuller is spinning in his grave ... nutty as he could at times be he never to my knowledge went to this kind of low.

What is it with these KJV-only people, I thought I had seen their backside in the mid 70's and they seem to be popping up in the public view a fair bit lately.

(For the uninitiated, they believe that not only did god inspire the Bible, but that he also inspires one translation for each human language, although to my knowledge the only language they actually care about is the English language -- they say that the King James Bible is god's inspired translation for the "English-speaking peoples".)

Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
He's a KJV-only fundy Baptist. By definition, that's a very narrow group of people. I'd never heard of the guy, and I doubt anyone on this board had heard of him before he was mentioned by the media.

Do you realize anyone can get a youtube channel? Anyone can podcast? It doesn't mean people are listening or watching.

But it means it's not just 10-15 lonely nutters, as many conservatives would like to pretend . These guys have congregations that allow them to say these things without rebuking or firing them . Some were even heard to be " amening" the preachers . It's about how this sort of stuff has become evident to exist beyond the Westboro nutters, as conservative Christians used to like to claim .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality