Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:50 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course I do. He inspired it in the Bible. I'm sorry if you don't believe it. I really am. I'd hate to have to live my life thinking this is all there is.
To each his own...I prefer reality, rather than live according to ancient myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
So what you are saying then is scientific fact doesn't matter because your faith informs you on matters of science .

So let me ask you this then . Science shows that humans are kin to other apes . This is not scientifically disputable . You have to deny science on this . Ponder this then . No one would dispute that rats and mice are related and share a common ancestor . It's obvious . But genetically humans and chimps are closer percentage wise than rats or mice . In addition, chimps and human share certain DEFECTIVE genes . Certain systems in humans are broken at the VERY SAME points the system is broken in chimps . How does this happen ?

The big question is this . If God designed us and we are not a product of evolution, then why did God do so in such a way to make it look like we evolved from apes ? Because ALL the evidence suggests we do, and if religion belief didn't come into play no one would question the obvious evidence . So why did God do this ? Why design a human in such a way as to deceive humans and make it appear to science that humans come from the ape family ?
We not only come from the ape family we are part of that family, since we are indeed apes.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one taking an unproven theory and arguing that it's a proven fact.
Are you willfully ignorant? The theory of evolution is solid, and much of science depends on it....There have been thousands of scientific advances due to the TOE.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you willfully ignorant? The theory of evolution is solid, and much of science depends on it....There have been thousands of scientific advances due to the TOE.
Then there are those odd "throwbacks" that haven't evolved enough mentally not to argue the validity of Evolution with The Bible Literalists and YEC Crew.
Luckily, there are very few that suffer from this. Alas, for those that do...I have determined that it is just about hopeless. They are destined to forever spit into strong winds, pound sand, and bash their head against rock walls. So sad.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you willfully ignorant?
Maybe all that self-proclaimed theological knowledge doesn't leave room for anything else.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:48 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Then there are those odd "throwbacks" that haven't evolved enough mentally not to argue the validity of Evolution with The Bible Literalists and YEC Crew.
Luckily, there are very few that suffer from this. Alas, for those that do...I have determined that it is just about hopeless. They are destined to forever spit into strong winds, pound sand, and bash their head against rock walls. So sad.

You mistakenly think the goal is to change the minds of the YECs. It is not . The purpose is to show the inability of their side to respond honestly , intelligently , and sincerely to debate on the matter, to show the absurdity of the YEC position, and to allow readers and lurkers to compare the two positions .

YECs are their own worst enemy . The more they are debated , the more they admit that they simply refuse to consider proven science because it isn't what they want to believe , the more absurd and ridiculous they show themselves to be , and others take note of this even if it rankles you that these discussions take place .

Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You mistakenly think the goal is to change the minds of the YECs. It is not . The purpose is to show the inability of their side to respond honestly , intelligently , and sincerely to debate on the matter, to show the absurdity of the YEC position, and to allow readers and lurkers to compare the two positions .

YECs are their own worst enemy . The more they are debated , the more they admit that they simply refuse to consider proven science because it isn't what they want to believe , the more absurd and ridiculous they show themselves to be , and others take note of this even if it rankles you that these discussions take place .
Then you are STILL pounding sand.
You don't have to "show the absurdity of the YEC position"...com'on, that's obvious to anyone not entrenched in that mindset!
AND, as you said, you won't change that mindset.
SO...stop, or keep spitting into the wind.
I could never be dragged into inane debates about dumbstuff of that magnitude. And I am only occasionally slightly amused reading them.
It's just a total waste. IMO, of course.
But, I love you all anyway...so, carry on!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Then you are STILL pounding sand.
You don't have to "show the absurdity of the YEC position"...com'on, that's obvious to anyone not entrenched in that mindset!
AND, as you said, you won't change that mindset.
SO...stop, or keep spitting into the wind.
I could never be dragged into inane debates about dumbstuff of that magnitude. And I am only occasionally slightly amused reading them.
It's just a total waste. IMO, of course.
But, I love you all anyway...so, carry on!
Pounding sand or spitting in the wind you say?...What are you doing here that's different? You are constantly and admittedly stirring the chamber pot...You must like the aroma you cause.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
They HAVE disproved it. It's been disproven. But people like you refuse to believe truth.
Then show that the ToE has been disproved...and whilst you're at it, answer the question I have asked you twice now. What dating methods have dated the Earth to 6,000 to 10,000 years old? Please answer...or are you going to run and hide just as you did with your other nightmare, the coloured text post?

Quote:
Of course I do. He inspired it in the Bible. I'm sorry if you don't believe it. I really am. I'd hate to have to live my life thinking this is all there is.
I'd hate to live my life believing in superstitious clap-trap.

Quote:
It's not a fact. It's a theory. It's never been oberved .....
The staggering ignorance of fundies. And this man stands in the pulpit and 'guides' others.

Oh...and for your information. IT HAS BEEN OBSERVED.

I'm away for 10 days but if you would like to be educated on how evolution has been observed, please let me know and I'll do it when I get back.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I am so very much not going to get into yet ANOTHER Evilooshun debate..but more an on topic, and appropos of what Gldnrule (and others) say of the rise of atheism or at least irreligion, and Goldrule does have a point there, but just a minor and rather irrelevant one, I came across a dubbed video of a Saudi spokeman for the orthodoxy beefing on about the worrying surge on atheism (or so he put it) amongst the Saudi Young.

"What" said the subtitle "are we going to do about it?" My advice would be: "Start being a lot nicer to them - one day there will be more of them than there are of you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality