Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 10:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Please elaborate.
Don't worry about Mystic. long since we debated tis very topic and I can recall that he mocked and ridiculed, but didn't actually present any sound argument, and in the end had to dismiss basics of logic in order to maintain his position.

Specifically he peed all over infinite regression which he tried to force on me,ignoring anything I said as an alternative mechanism, and rejected the illogic of a postulated god a priori...I'm sure he will recall that episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
God is trusted in, so the God aspect of Christian God and Muslim God, if Christian and Muslim are separate from God.
I get that. We are talking about a postulated divine creator who may or may not have any interest in any particular religion. That is why I (and I think atheism as a rationale) has no great problem with the god claim as such other than when it is presented as a fact when in fact there is no decent evidence for it and some good reasons to doubt it.

The evidence of this is Anthony Flew, who when presented with evidence tat convinced him of a Creator, he became a theist - just like That, as I would if there was evidence o convince me. But it did nothing at all to sell him Christianity or Islam or any of the religions.

The problem pops up when a 'Creator' argument is used as a Tee to drive off to the distant Biblegod, or one of the other Creators.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-26-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have neither the knowledge, the maturity, nor the temperament to seriously engage the issues you mock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Please elaborate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't worry about Mystic. long since we debated tis very topic and I can recall that he mocked and ridiculed, but didn't actually present any sound argument, and in the end had to dismiss basics of logic in order to maintain his position.
Specifically he peed all over infinite regression which he tried to force on me,ignoring anything I said as an alternative mechanism, and rejected the illogic of a postulated god a priori...I'm sure he will recall that episode.
Says the man who equally lacks knowledge and temperament, even if his chronology should equate to some level of maturity.
Arq, you too have neither the knowledge, the maturity, nor the temperament to seriously engage the issues you mock or pretend to evaluate.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Ah, the Matt Slick special .

Very well, admitted to . Proceed .
Yeah that's pretty much where it ends, unfortunately, for Slick and for proponents of CARM.

They assert a priori creator mandates and get upset that we don't accept them. All the while, pardoning their god-creator from requiring creation and ignoring the obvious infinite regression problem it creates.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Yeah that's pretty much where it ends, unfortunately, for Slick and for proponents of CARM.

They assert a priori creator mandates and get upset that we don't accept them. All the while, pardoning their god-creator from requiring creation and ignoring the obvious infinite regression problem it creates.
Well how else would they manage without cheating?

Old 06-26-2016, 03:12 PM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
?
Analogically, if someone refers to chair and a red char and a green chair are brought in, the chair aspect of the red chair and green chair is what was being referred to.

Quote:
I get that. We are talking about a postulated divine creator
We are talking about the divine, which redefines what "We" and "talking" and "postulated" means.

Quote:
That is why I (and I think atheism as a rationale) has no great problem with the god claim as such other than when it is presented as a fact when in fact there is no decent evidence for it and some good reasons to doubt it.
There is enough evidence of God to God and in God.

Quote:
The evidence of this is Anthony Flew, who when presented with evidence tat convinced him of a Creator, he became a theist - just like That, as I would if there was evidence o convince me. But it did nothing at all to sell him Christianity or Islam or any of the religions.
Not all definitions have Theism, Christianity, and Islam as three distinct and competing groups.

Quote:
The problem pops up when a 'Creator' argument is used as a Tee to drive off to the distant Biblegod, or one of the other Creators.
If something besides God is being referred to, how does that become an issue for theism which talks of God?

Last edited by overcastg4; 06-26-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 05:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Someone who expounds logic and reason shouldn't have to resort to razor sharp snark, foaming biting type rhetoric which is your usual tone and content here. If you can't separate emotion from your reasoning then why should anyone trust it?
They shouldn't have to, but we live in a world of psychology and high levels of communication with low levels of attention and focus.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yup. And I've observed that you can lead an atheist to evidence but you can't make him believe.

What evidence, pastor? Biblical? That is only a circular reference to itself, and is not any sort of evidence. Now, give us some evidence why an atheist, or a Buddhist, or a Zoroastrian, or a Taoist, or a Shintoist should believe anything that is in the bible?

Without using the bible.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Says the man who equally lacks knowledge and temperament, even if his chronology should equate to some level of maturity.
Arq, you too have neither the knowledge, the maturity, nor the temperament to seriously engage the issues you mock or pretend to evaluate.
Present evidence for your claims and we will be forced to believe. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:40 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Honestly? I heard that handing a gift of a Subway coupon for a free sandwich was too much for the atheists at the "Reason Rally". They called that act a "protest" and disallowed it. Seems to me to be a reaction by a group of people that are scared to answer the "why?" question.
Only telling half truths, preacher?

Want to tell the whole story of Ray Comfort's attempt or shall I? I'll wait until tomorrow, and then show why you are spreading at best half truths.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Only telling half truths, preacher?

Want to tell the whole story of Ray Comfort's attempt or shall I? I'll wait until tomorrow, and then show why you are spreading at best half truths.
Knock yourself out. I'm sure you'll put your own spin on it. They wanted to hand out gift cards. Of course that would lead to more conversations, but no one was going to start slinging mud and protesting over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality