Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This is an interesting conundrum. On one hand, I vehemently disagree with Osteen's teachings and I am happy to say that to anyone that asks. One might be tempted to cheer them.

On the other hand, as a pastor, I have pondered what I'd do in a similar situation. There are groups that think my church teaches falsely. I've never met anyone that would take it to the extent they did in Osteen's church, but in the event that something like that happened, I've wondered what I'd do. I do believe that we should have the right to worship, and I believe that Osteen's church has the right to exist and conduct services without harassment.
I have to agree. But if there are sound reasons to think that his teachings, his church and he himself, are open to serious criticism, he should not expect to be immune from scrutiny and investigation... ...(that sounds so goood...), or do something like...say...scream persecution by wrong - doctrine Fundamentalists (TM - prices on application) or Satan inspired truth -haters.

But trying to should him down in his own church..I can't approve that.

Quote:
heh...you haven't seen how small our congregation is, or what happens when something happens in a small town. It doesn't take a lot of shouting to cause a disruption. On the other hand, we are well-respected in the area, and there just aren't the type of people that would do that sort of thing.
Get a tape and turn up the speakers. That'll do it Also drown out the sound of the Bodyguards for Truth (TM ...reduction for using both) who are Silencing the hecklers before throwing them out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have to agree. But if there are sound reasons to think that his teachings, his church and he himself, are open to serious criticism, he should not expect to be immune from scrutiny and investigation... ...(that sounds so goood...), or do something like...say...scream persecution by wrong - doctrine Fundamentalists (TM - prices on application) or Satan inspired truth -haters.

But trying to should him down in his own church..I can't approve that.

I have seen folks handing out material OUTSIDE of his church and I can't argue against that. They were not preventing people going into the church. In the same way, if people really wanted to do that to my congregants....ok. I've had cultists knock on my door and give my wife their material. I've even stopped to chat with them and explain that as the pastor, that was my house. Kudos to them for having the guts to share their faith.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:19 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I think you should write a Dear Joel letter.
My, you are in fine form today.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I think you should write a Dear Joel letter.
Think he'd read it? He's been corrected a number of times by some pretty good teachers and he refuses to repent.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Think he'd read it? He's been corrected a number of times by some pretty good teachers and he refuses to repent.
I think he would open it. He might even shake the envelope looking for prosperity.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I think he would open it. He might even shake the envelope looking for prosperity.
I wanted to rep you but believe it or not I've already done it once on this thread.

Seriously though...we all know that he has staff that would do that for him.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Well, I know Jews that have been brought to Christianity JUST because of Joel Osteen...
and non-practicing Christians have opened up again.
Yeah, he's pretty bad saying that our Heavenly Father wants us happy and abundant...
how dare he ...the nerve! Lol.

And Jesus poor?
Um, he chose to travel on foot to villages with his group, so what, he was very smart and savvy...
but he wasn't poor since the Magi came!
And Joseph wasn't poor either.

Oops, did I just stir a pot! hahahah
Let's see how much anger gets thrown this way now!

PS.. Anyone that knows the Father, rather than from a book, knows there is no wrath, jealousy or judgment in Him.
Compassion, yes...help, yes...guidance, yes...correction, yes....all for us to come back to Him.
Lake of fire...nonsense...this is the what Joel should repent of knowing, also..promoting the love and joy of the Lord?
You guys are too much...

Oops, take cover...here it comes!

Old 06-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I know Jews that have been brought to Christianity JUST because of Joel Osteen...
and non-practicing Christians have opened up again.
Yeah, he's pretty bad saying that our Heavenly Father wants us happy and abundant...
how dare he ...the nerve! Lol.

And Jesus poor?
Um, he choose to travel on foot to villages with his group, so what, he was very smart and savvy...
but he wasn't poor since the Magi came!
And Joseph wasn't poor either.
I've also read an article written by a secular atheistic Jew who went to his church and was quite comfortable and was not challenged at all to think about the teachings of Jesus. I could not imagine a Jew at the time Peter and Paul and the rest of the apostles saying that they went to a worship service led by one of them and they had a splendid time.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
What is it about conservative Christians that they feel compelled to act like this ? 99.9% , if not 100% , of this stuff is done by conservative type Christians . I've never read of Catholics , Anglicans , Eastern Orthodox, Quakers, Methodists, etc, going and doing stuff like this . They all seem satisfied to take care of their own business for the most part , aside from some political stuff every now and then , and let others that hold different beliefs go their way . But conservative Christians just can't stand that everyone doesn't believe the same as they do .

For the record, Osteen is a joke , but I don't attend there so his idiocy is none of my concern until he decides to start trampling on the rights of those with differing beliefs than him .

Old 06-24-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
What is it about conservative Christians that they feel compelled to act like this ? 99.9% , if not 100% , of this stuff is done by conservative type Christians . I've never read of Catholics , Anglicans , Eastern Orthodox, Quakers, Methodists, etc, going and doing stuff like this . They all seem satisfied to take care of their own business for the most part , aside from some political stuff every now and then , and let others that hold different beliefs go their way . But conservative Christians just can't stand that everyone doesn't believe the same as they do .
We actually believe what the Scriptures say, and we have issue with people that pervert that which we believe to be sacred.
Quote:
For the record, Osteen is a joke , but I don't attend there so his idiocy is none of my concern until he decides to start trampling on the rights of those with differing beliefs than him .
Wait....you have an issue with someone that doesn't believe the same as you do? You're sounding awful "fundamentalist" there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality