Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:41 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And when that day comes, I'm afraid my church will lose their tax exempt status. It will severely harm our ability to operate. I believe God is in control and Christianity will not cease to exist.

So you think that the mythical LGBTQ rights take precedence over 1st Amendment rights?

I get it that we cannot use our rights to walk on the rights of others...but why is it ok to do the opposite? Why are other rights more important than our 1st Amendment rights?

I am unconcerned if your church is hampered. You can give up your salary, sell your possessions and hit the road with your beliefs. What's the matter? The Apostles did just that. Christianity has gotten fat. No wonder the road looks narrow.

No, the 14th Amendment protect civil rights. You do not have a 1st Amendment right to tax exemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am unconcerned if your church is hampered. You can give up your salary, sell your possessions and hit the road with your beliefs. What's the matter? The Apostles did just that. Christianity has gotten fat. No wonder the road looks narrow.

No, the 14th Amendment protect civil rights. You do not have a 1st Amendment right to tax exemption.
The 14th Amendment does not grant the ability to walk on 1st Amendment rights to free speech and worship. Regardless of tax status.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
The 14th Amendment does not grant the ability to walk on 1st Amendment rights to free speech and worship. Regardless of tax status.

The 14th grants equal protection under the law, for everyone.

No Amendment is more important to another.

However your rights end where mine begin.

LGBTQ rights are equally important. Their right to practice their faith is also protected by the Constitution.

You wish to diminish them and call them mythical. The same argument was made about blacks in the 60's Men actually believed black men and women had the same rights they had. They considered civil rights just a big fuss.

You have the right to practice your faith. You do not have the right to discriminate against your brothers and sisters. You will have to figure a way to make peace with it.

I suggest you give up your tax exemption, your salary, sell your worldly goods, and hit the road just like the Apostles. You will still be able to practice your faith. You do not need a Church supported by tax dollars.

I am tired of being the benefactor (tax payer) of men who discriminate against their brothers and sisters using God. Is your faith that soft that it values a salary and tax exempt status over religion?

Just admit you value money more than your religion.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Welcome to CA that is all I have seen since moving here...nothing but entitlement whiners. This does not surprise me in the least. The way this state is run is pure rubbish on so many levels.

I have also never come across as many bible thumpers in my entire life!!!!! And I am from the South!

Yup, that's what I think and you can always tell a person from California when you run across them, first you think maybe they from New England and then the horror sets in and you find out your neighbor is from California. More and more Californians moving to Texas and the freaks in Austin just love them, nobody likes Austin anymore, not people in Texas.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yup, that's what I think and you can always tell a person from California when you run across them, first you think maybe they from New England and then the horror sets in and you find out your neighbor is from California. More and more Californians moving to Texas and the freaks in Austin just love them, nobody likes Austin anymore, not people in Texas.
hahahha Build a wall around Austin. Can you secede from Austin?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
hahahha Build a wall around Austin. Can you secede from Austin?
LOL, I was just digging around with my hoe to see what would come up hahah.

Glad somebody got a laugh but yeah, build a wall around Austin, that's the ticket!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:

LGBTQ rights are equally important. Their right to practice their faith is also protected by the Constitution.

You wish to diminish them and call them mythical. The same argument was made about blacks in the 60's Men actually believed black men and women had the same rights they had. They considered civil rights just a big fuss.

You have the right to practice your faith. You do not have the right to discriminate against your brothers and sisters. You will have to figure a way to make peace with it.

I suggest you give up your tax exemption, your salary, sell your worldly goods, and hit the road just like the Apostles. You will still be able to practice your faith. You do not need a Church supported by tax dollars.

I am tired of being the benefactor (tax payer) of men who discriminate against their brothers and sisters using God. Is your faith that soft that it values a salary and tax exempt status over religion?

Then let them open their own LGBTQ Christian college. We don't have the right to practice our faith when we must embrace and allow sin into God's house under the banner of discrimination. You wouldn't have any problems discriminating against people who practice other forms of sexual immorality so there lies the hypocrisy.

Stop comparing gays to racism. A person can't choose their race. A person can switch their sexual orientation as easy as changing a pair of clothes. Completely different things.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
We keep getting told the slippery slope isn't real. We keep getting told that all gay people want is to be treated equal. But we see the continued attack on common sense and innocent people. What is wrong with simply wanting to protect the innocent person that wants to use a bathroom in private? What is wrong with wanting to respect everyone ELSE?

I have no doubt that in the next few years we will see a church sued for not performing a same-sex wedding. It's where things are going. This whole bathroom thing is simply a distraction. There is a much bigger fight going on.
Yep and after that, pastors will be fined or even jailed if they speak publicly or privately against homosexuality. It will be labeled "hate speech".

Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

I have also never come across as many bible thumpers in my entire life!!!!! And I am from the South!
The Jesus Revolution of the 60's began in Southern California. It's religious roots run to it's founding in the 1770's by Catholic missionaries. The current governor, Jerry Brown, was a Jesuit. The Mormon church is a major player in state politics. As a prune picker (native) I can tell you there are two things California has plenty of: religion and regulations. This proposed law covers both and that's not unusual.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:

By that logic, your rights end where MINE begin.
Quote:
The constitution does not grant anyone a special right of marriage, or bathroom use, etc. Nor does it grant anyone the right to supercede my 1st Amendment rights.
Quote:
blah blah blah. OK. Your sex choice is not the as skin color. Get over it.
Quote:
And you have the right to practice your sex life. You do not have the right to discriminate against my Christian faith. You will have to figure a way to make peace with it.
Quote:
You do realize that pastors in the early church actually did get paid, right?
Quote:

And I'm tired of being the benefactor for those that think that they can discriminate against others by using sexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality