Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:36 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What do you want from us? Are you looking for us to actually answer the question, or are you just making a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
Don't you think it is time that churches like your's, and the followers of those churches, rose up and said, "Stop. What you are doing is wrong." ? We have too many defenders of abuse by religious entities. Why?

Besides, what is offensive is not my posting this, but the actions of the church. What is provocative is not me posting this, but the actions of the church.

I'm just the messenger. You probably have more ability to shame this church than I do, and I would hope you are part of the crowd that does. The change needs to come from within the fundamentalist movement, but pressure from without appears to be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 11:38 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Do you or do you not support what this Baptist church is doing?
I prefer to know all the facts before making rash judgements. It doesn't make logical sense to me why the church would do this out as payback. They are already facing a PR nightmare. Why take an action that will only result in much more scrutiny and criticism? I think there is more to the story than what you present.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Don't you think it is time that churches like your's, and the followers of those churches, rose up and said, "Stop. What you are doing is wrong." ? We have too many defenders of abuse by religious entities. Why?
Do you honestly not think we are?
Quote:
Besides, what is offensive is not my posting this, but the actions of the church. What is provocative is not me posting this, but the actions of the church.
I think you have an unnatural fascination with the subject.
Quote:
I'm just the messenger. You probably have more ability to shame this church than I do, and I would hope you are part of the crowd that does. The change needs to come from within the fundamentalist movement, but pressure from without appears to be needed.
What would you have us do?

You know...I had to deal with the fallout from some upset people last week after a man in the community (atheist) was convicted of molesting a child. Do you think I expect you to "rise up" in condemnation for it? Do you think I blame you for it?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:

You know...I had to deal with the fallout from some upset people last week after a man in the community (atheist) was convicted of molesting a child.
What was the fallout after a conviction? Most people want to throw the book at child molesters.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What was the fallout after a conviction? Most people want to throw the book at child molesters.
Some still think he's innocent....others are quite upset that someone in their small community was doing that stuff under their nose. There are some that wish they could get their hands on the guy.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Do you honestly not think we are?
Are you? Quietly or loudly and vociferously? It is the same as muslims who maybe are not supportive of terrorists, but say little publicly to oppose them. It has to be frequent, public, and widespread, and that is not happening. Otherwise we would see it, would we not, as opposed to being questioned on these forums when these situations are brought up to having ulterior motives.

Quote:
If you DON'T have an interest in the subject why not? If you DON'T actively denounce, rather than defend, why not? You consistently have given support to these abuses by questioning my posting factual reports of them.

Why would you question me, rather than the abusers?

Quote:
Reach out to your conference or diocese or division or whoever you are actually hired by, and have them develop a rapid reaction publicity program to any of these sorts of reports condemning the churches who are part of it, no matter what denomination. Work with other denominations to ensure they have a similar protocol in place.

And most of all, don't condemn messengers that expose or highlight these abuses, as that is only providing a cover for the abusers.

Quote:
You know...I had to deal with the fallout from some upset people last week after a man in the community (atheist) was convicted of molesting a child. Do you think I expect you to "rise up" in condemnation for it? Do you think I blame you for it?
Sad story. I hope he gets put away for a long time. I truly hope that no one wants to out the child, like this church wants to do.

What organization does that man belong to that is trying to excuse him? I have no communal connection what so ever to this criminal. If I was Catholic, and he was Catholic, I would expect my church not to stand beside him and try to out the child. I certainly do not question your motive in discussing it... you are just the messenger.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I prefer to know all the facts before making rash judgements. It doesn't make logical sense to me why the church would do this out as payback. They are already facing a PR nightmare. Why take an action that will only result in much more scrutiny and criticism? I think there is more to the story than what you present.
I think there is, too. Try "Dogma".

Old 07-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Are you? Quietly or loudly and vociferously? It is the same as muslims who maybe are not supportive of terrorists, but say little publicly to oppose them. It has to be frequent, public, and widespread, and that is not happening. Otherwise we would see it, would we not, as opposed to being questioned on these forums when these situations are brought up to having ulterior motives.

To be honest, we don't hear of the majority of them. But yes--I do quite loudly and vociferously condemn evil acts.
Quote:

If you DON'T have an interest in the subject why not? If you DON'T actively denounce, rather than defend, why not? You consistently have given support to these abuses by questioning my posting factual reports of them.

Why would you question me, rather than the abusers?

Because you seem to have an unnatural fascination with it.
Quote:

Reach out to your conference or diocese or division or whoever you are actually hired by, and have them develop a rapid reaction publicity program to any of these sorts of reports condemning the churches who are part of it, no matter what denomination. Work with other denominations to ensure they have a similar protocol in place.

And most of all, don't condemn messengers that expose or highlight these abuses, as that is only providing a cover for the abusers.

I'm not aware of any wrongdoing in any of our churches. If there was a problem such as this, the district rep that the pastor responds to would handle it.
Quote:

Sad story. I hope he gets put away for a long time. I truly hope that no one wants to out the child, like this church wants to do.

What organization does that man belong to that is trying to excuse him? I have no communal connection what so ever to this criminal. If I was Catholic, and he was Catholic, I would expect my church not to stand beside him and try to out the child. I certainly do not question your motive in discussing it... you are just the messenger.
There is no organization that wants to excuse him, to my knowledge. Those that are in the community that think he's innocent are non-churched people. But he is an atheist. Should I hold you accountable for his actions?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:37 PM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Quote:
There are some that wish they could get their hands on the guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Most people want to throw the book at child molesters.
That's would we would have you do!

Addendum
Quote:
But yes--I do quite loudly and vociferously condemn evil acts.
I hadn't finished reading the thread - that's good to hear.

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-02-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 01:48 PM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
cupper is a crusader. He is doing what we should all be doing. He is bringing these things to our attention. Go cupper!

These people and organizations need to be stopped. You are in a position to make a difference. All I can do is post on facebook which only gets a small viewing but sometimes others post to their own pages and in this way these things can spread but even so, it's a drop in the ocean. Now is all of us do this, it could become a tide of protest and when the tide gets big enough these people will find themselves unable to hide behind a cloak of silence and cover ups.

But you as a pastor can make a strong impact. In fact, any Christian can take it up with his or her church group and get it out in the open. After all, these people are giving Christianity and churches a bad name.

Jeff has told us of the activities of his church. That is what we want to hear about churches! Thanks for that positive news Jeff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hey guess what a church does in my area? They provide housing, support and job assistance for women who are in abusive relationships or unexpected pregnancies. They have a home and a family.

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-02-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality