Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Giving a offering to Jesus is a fruit of the spirit...
What does this have to do with lining the pockets of Kenneth Copeland, Inc. and Creflo Dollar, LLC?

Why offer anything to Jesus in particular anyway? An offering of a monetary or material nature, that is?

Why not try to be exemplary of what we are taught about Jesus and do things that can directly help the poor and needy?

Do you think Jesus would have been interested in this or that church getting grander, gaudier and more excessive and ornate all the time? Interested in Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar having bigger homes and nicer cars? What does any of this have to do with the supposed teachings of Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 AM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
What does this have to do with lining the pockets of Kenneth Copeland, Inc. and Creflo Dollar, LLC?

Why offer anything to Jesus in particular anyway? An offering of a monetary or material nature, that is?

Why not try to be exemplary of what we are taught about Jesus and do things that can directly help the poor and needy?

Do you think Jesus would have been interested in this or that church getting grander, gaudier and more excessive and ornate all the time? Interested in Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar having bigger homes and nicer cars? What does any of this have to do with the supposed teachings of Jesus?
The followers of Jesus sold all they owned, imagine a man and a woman selling their house and business just to live common with the disciples raising money for the widows, not even having houses to lay down in because they gave all they had to poor widows and being stupid is not an excuse.

If somebody give all their money to one of these cheesy preachers, then they deserve to lose their money because they were not worthy stewards in the first place and just cause you give your money to a wealthy man doesn't make it fruit does it?

Fruit for what?

So dude can get him another flat screen while widows starve?

I wouldn't be looking for the fruit of blessing but maybe a curse because you were too lazy to find a widow, or you just didn't care enough to be a worthy steward of money.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:04 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Con men, and they know it, those people don't believe in God no more than my dog. Sending those people money is no part of an offering to God.
I used to see "Creflo Dollar" on the channel guide on my TV. I had no idea it was a person. I thought it was some type of shopping network. Guess I was close!

Never heard of Copeland.

Con men is right.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Joel Osteen in Houston, Texas is a con man if there ever was one. His "prosperity gospel" crap that he sells gullible people is nothing short of disgusting.
I have no use for any of these showmen. They put themselves front and center, all eyes and cameras on themselves, pretending to be about God.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have no use for any of these showmen. They put themselves front and center, all eyes and cameras on themselves, pretending to be about God.
They've managed to combine the worst, most cynical form of religion with used car salesman tactics and get-rich-quick schemes. It's abominable in and of itself, but what's truly tragic & pathetic is that so many fall for it, consider these men to be honest, and give their money over to them.

It's really little different from the guru/brainwasher types who eat off gold plates and get driven around in fleets of limos while their followers live like paupers.

This is, admittedly, hyperbolic, but the ultimate result of this kind of thing can easily wind up like the whole Jim Jones/Guyana mass suicide.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:44 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
They've managed to combine the worst, most cynical form of religion with used car salesman tactics and get-rich-quick schemes. It's abominable in and of itself, but what's truly tragic & pathetic is that so many fall for it, consider these men to be honest, and give their money over to them.
It's really little different from the guru/brainwasher types who eat off gold plates and get driven around in fleets of limos while their followers live like paupers.
This is, admittedly, hyperbolic, but the ultimate result of this kind of thing can easily wind up like the whole Jim Jones/Guyana mass suicide.
These are legitimate criticisms and the perpetrators are indeed very evil men. They will reap what they sow multiplied by the numbers they have hurt or harmed. Ironically, many of those who are harmed materially by them in this world have agape-loving hearts and minds that will fare far better than those who have abused them. That is a small comfort knowing the devastation these evil scum wreak upon the simple and pure of heart.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 6,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The followers of Jesus sold all they owned, imagine a man and a woman selling their house and business just to live common with the disciples raising money for the widows, not even having houses to lay down in because they gave all they had to poor widows and being stupid is not an excuse.

If somebody give all their money to one of these cheesy preachers, then they deserve to lose their money because they were not worthy stewards in the first place and just cause you give your money to a wealthy man doesn't make it fruit does it?

Fruit for what?

So dude can get him another flat screen while widows starve?

I wouldn't be looking for the fruit of blessing but maybe a curse because you were too lazy to find a widow, or you just didn't care enough to be a worthy steward of money.
Agreed.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:59 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
Pretty much everywhere north of DC looks at these types as some strange phenomenon
not quite understood, akin to Nascar and bad country music.

The Northeast is too smart for these types. Too savvy.
We like our preachers poor and genuine, not rich and fake.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:02 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
This is an old report but it gives a very clear insight as to what these Dollars characters are about.

Senate Finance Committee, Minority Staff Review of World Changers Church International (WCCI)

The thing I will never understand is how I ended up on a planet with an over abundance of gullible and vile humans.

Quote:
Creflo Dollar's new scheme to raise $60 million to purchase a luxury Gulfstream G650 airplane is the latest chapter in a long and sordid history of televangelists exploiting their churches' tax-exempt status -- and their congregants -- to line their own pockets.
What does Pastor Creflo Dollar do with his money?

Old 07-09-2016, 02:14 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

They did not let me down as Copeland started talking about he and Dollar going on a road trip and how they were both in the car speaking in tongues and praying "in the spirit." Could you imagine being a fly in that car and hearing that (if they are even telling the truth)?
I'm certain they only hit the highest quality drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality