Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Stockwell was kept in check by Ralph. You know, the Ralph that actually paid of the entire debt that our 'progressives' and lefties frittered away and now we are in as deep as ever?

I liked Ralph's response to the abortion issue: "That's between the woman, her doctor and her god." In other words, government has no play in the matter.

I miss Ralph! I can guarantee you one would never see the nonsense of any public or taxpayers money at risk for the silliness of an Ark.

Ralph was Ok but he did leave a big deficient in other areas. It is not left or right but those without any vision that are the problem. Getty caused the problem not Lougheed, and those who followed Ralph also seemed totally lacking a vision of what they wanted and I do not think Steady Eddie was a progressive.

I listened to an interview of Ralph a year or so after he stepped down and if I remember he was more into native beleifs mostly I would think through Colleen's background.

Yes I do agree that I do not think he would have supported the Ark built with any tax breaks or such but not sure if Getty would not have. I do not think most Albertans or Canadians would be so supportive of this type of project anyways.

so are you going to at least drive by the Ark on your way escaping our wonderful winters?

On an aside if I can, 1971 was my very first election I could vote in and I was part of the sweep putting the PCs into power and have voted for them more than all the others combined in this province.

Maybe there are enough Eusiebius and Vizio to make the Ark profitable or at least worth keeping in running.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Ralph was Ok but he did leave a big deficient in other areas. It is not left or right but those without any vision that are the problem. Getty caused the problem not Lougheed, and those who followed Ralph also seemed totally lacking a vision of what they wanted and I do not think Steady Eddie was a progressive.

I listened to an interview of Ralph a year or so after he stepped down and if I remember he was more into native beleifs mostly I would think through Colleen's background.

Yes I do agree that I do not think he would have supported the Ark built with any tax breaks or such but not sure if Getty would not have. I do not think most Albertans or Canadians would be so supportive of this type of project anyways.

so are you going to at least drive by the Ark on your way escaping our wonderful winters?

On an aside if I can, 1971 was my very first election I could vote in and I was part of the sweep putting the PCs into power and have voted for them more than all the others combined in this province.

Maybe there are enough Eusiebius and Vizio to make the Ark profitable or at least worth keeping in running.
I think our American friends would not understand a conservative like Ralph. One who does what he says, and if wrong, makes corrections. His one axiom was that taxpayer money not be wasted. Especially on foolish projects like the Ark, even though there were many fundamentalists in his party.

Our American friends, especially the evangelical kind, don't like to accept that there should be a true separation of church and state. As example, I can see a private individual or group perhaps build a similar monstrosity in my area. I mean, that "Creation Science" museum I can walk to, and they are just holding the annual Passion Play down in the Drumheller area. But none of those get taxpayers dollars. (BTW, the Creative Science museum in my village has to be a labor of love, as I never see anyone go into it, whereas our antique tool museum our Historical Society just build right next to it is always busy with tourists.)

I don't understand why the taxpayers of Kentucky, and particularly of Williamstown, are not in an uproar in putting taxpayers money at risk. I thought they were predominately fiscal conservatives down there? Or maybe the emotional religious aspect wins out over reality. Who are they going to blame when the TIF bonds do not get repaid?

Old 07-19-2016, 01:23 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
I think our American friends would not understand a conservative like Ralph. One who does what he says, and if wrong, makes corrections. His one axiom was that taxpayer money not be wasted. Especially on foolish projects like the Ark, even though there were many fundamentalists in his party.
As an American (though I am a lifelong, dedicated Anglophile and there are many places in the UK or Europe to which I'd be ecstatic to relocate) I'd just say that there are no true, actual conservatives in US politics any longer The Republican Party here clearly abandoned all conservative principles and members back sometime between the Fall of Saigon and the beginning of the Disco Era.

Fiscal conservativism is a thing of the past, with regards to both of the two major parties here.

No, what we have in the USA is a party that purports to be conservative when in reality they are just "social conservatives" who claim to be "small government" (the biggest, most odious lie in American politics.

They are as corrupt, incompetent and irresponsible with money as the Democrats, and are more prone to issues like ensuring same sex couples can't marry, women can't make their own reproductive choices, etc., etc.

Make no mistake: i don't consider the Democratic Party better really.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Do you think they charge for bottle water?
I don't know. Do you think they take rain checks?

Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:

Our American friends, especially the evangelical kind, don't like to accept that there should be a true separation of church and state. As example, I can see a private individual or group perhaps build a similar monstrosity in my area. I mean, that "Creation Science" museum I can walk to, and they are just holding the annual Passion Play down in the Drumheller area. But none of those get taxpayers dollars. (BTW, the Creative Science museum in my village has to be a labor of love, as I never see anyone go into it, whereas our antique tool museum our Historical Society just build right next to it is always busy with tourists.)

I don't understand why the taxpayers of Kentucky, and particularly of Williamstown, are not in an uproar in putting taxpayers money at risk. I thought they were predominately fiscal conservatives down there? Or maybe the emotional religious aspect wins out over reality. Who are they going to blame when the TIF bonds do not get repaid?
Wrong on both accounts about this state.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Wrong on both accounts about this state.
How am I wrong about the TIF bonds?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
How am I wrong about the TIF bonds?
I didn't necessarily say you were wrong about TIF. I said you were wrong about this state and being conservative, especially fiscally.

The states already protected itself from the bond issue. So 'we' aren't on the hook. Grant county is. The state actually rescinded its initial ok on the tourism incentive, but the vast size, and a lawsuit, made them honor the tourism incentive. That plan, begun in 2003, was one of the few smart fiscal decisions the state has made. Led to revamps in Churchill, creation of the bourbon trail, 6 flags buying a broke theme park, etc....

That county took a huge gamble but only time will tell if they eat the cost. Plus the county got either 11 or 18 million back in federal interstate improvements that wore sorely needed. I forgot the exact TIF bond figure ... State just isn't on the hook. Private investors/donors, that's on them

Old 07-19-2016, 05:24 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't know. Do you think they take rain checks?
Lol good one

Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I didn't necessarily say you were wrong about TIF. I said you were wrong about this state and being conservative, especially fiscally.

The states already protected itself from the bond issue. So 'we' aren't on the hook. Grant county is. The state actually rescinded its initial ok on the tourism incentive, but the vast size, and a lawsuit, made them honor the tourism incentive. That plan, begun in 2003, was one of the few smart fiscal decisions the state has made. Led to revamps in Churchill, creation of the bourbon trail, 6 flags buying a broke theme park, etc....

That county took a huge gamble but only time will tell if they eat the cost. Plus the county got either 11 or 18 million back in federal interstate improvements that wore sorely needed. I forgot the exact TIF bond figure ... State just isn't on the hook. Private investors/donors, that's on them
The TIF bond was around $61 million. And I agree, the State's first choice was not to do the $18 tax abatement program, but the people of Williamstown are certainly exposed.

Now, I am somewhat surprised you saying that KY is not fiscally conservative, but I should have looked into that before assuming. I've learned something.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
The TIF bond was around $61 million. And I agree, the State's first choice was not to do the $18 tax abatement program, but the people of Williamstown are certainly exposed.

Now, I am somewhat surprised you saying that KY is not fiscally conservative, but I should have looked into that before assuming. I've learned something.
Even at 61 mill over 30 years that's 2 in property taxes, thAts 2 per. Not as big a gamble for grant with the extra development and 75 fixed...that'll be local firms bilking the Feds for years.

Now me, I'm a conservative in the 200 year old sense of the word: the constituent doesn't grant rights, it restricts federal power. I want gov out of every aspect of my and every Americans life.

States are different. PArts of ky are pretty religiously conservative, mostly the mountains. The rest not so much. Louisville, pretty progressive, same with the Cincinnati annex and lex: 3/4 of the pop there. Everyone focuses on the mountains. Now that's been a huge shift. The gov has hurt the coal industry more and more they've gotten more and more conservative.

It can be a weird place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.