Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Even at 61 mill over 30 years that's 2 in property taxes, thAts 2 per. Not as big a gamble for grant with the extra development and 75 fixed...that'll be local firms bilking the Feds for years.
You're presuming though, that the Ark will attract the people it said it would when it sold the TIF bond funding. Although early, the indication is that is highly unlikely, so the repayment is much smaller per year than forecast. As such, the exposure is a lot higher than you suggest. Even Ham altered the figures higher than the consultants suggested, and in my opinion, they were generous to begin with, especially over the long run.

I'm just glad I'm not exposed to that situation. I think if anyone would suggest it here, we would string them up by the gonads. Picking winners and losers in business is anti anything, liberal or conservative, our electorate would support. We got stung in the past, and voters have generational long memories.

Quote:
Now me, I'm a conservative in the 200 year old sense of the word: the constituent doesn't grant rights, it restricts federal power. I want gov out of every aspect of my and every Americans life.

States are different. PArts of ky are pretty religiously conservative, mostly the mountains. The rest not so much. Louisville, pretty progressive, same with the Cincinnati annex and lex: 3/4 of the pop there. Everyone focuses on the mountains. Now that's been a huge shift. The gov has hurt the coal industry more and more they've gotten more and more conservative.

It can be a weird place
Thanks for the lesson. The stereotype does not always fit the reality.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
There is a plethora of names for god and gods in the bible. In fact, some of them originated from the indigenous Canaanite tribes that were there, from which the Hebrews split off from. They then INVENTED their coming from Egypt, and archaeology backs that up. As such, the Pentateuch has numerous names for gods. And yes, the plural gods.

Elohim, as example is plural, due to the '-im' ending. It can in no way be viewed as singular in ancient Hebrew. The singular is a modern construct, to fit the narrative. The ancient Hebrews worshiped numerous gods, not just one.

Guess who else worshiped El or Eloah and Elohim? The Canaanites. Get versed in reality of history, Jeff. It will open up a world of understanding you do not possess at this point ...
I understand a very old archaic name for one of the Cana'anite gods was El Shaddai. El Shaddai is the god mentioned in the little piece of paper that is encased in a covering and attached to the doorposts of most Jewish homes. It is called a Mezzuzah.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You're presuming though, that the Ark will attract the people it said it would when it sold the TIF bond funding. Although early, the indication is that is highly unlikely, so the repayment is much smaller per year than forecast. As such, the exposure is a lot higher than you suggest. Even Ham altered the figures higher than the consultants suggested, and in my opinion, they were generous to begin with, especially over the long run.

I'm just glad I'm not exposed to that situation. I think if anyone would suggest it here, we would string them up by the gonads. Picking winners and losers in business is anti anything, liberal or conservative, our electorate would support. We got stung in the past, and voters have generational long memories.

Thanks for the lesson. The stereotype does not always fit the reality.
I honestly think it was a dumb decision by grant county. But that's on them. State protected itself and everyone else under krs statutes. Besides, I'm moving to Charleston after this contract.

1 thought: this is a net forum. I've only weighed in on this and trigg because I know the statutes. Ffrf isn't doing a completely factual area of reporting. I'm not defending. I'm stating legality. That's it.

I want, as a theist, religion on in legality LESS than anyone. I've just softened on certain 'symbolic' aspects like In God We Trust out of common sense, and tradition.

I used to defend abortion as an equation to cancer. We get older, hopefully wiser, and realize the need to 'win' is balanced by a myriad of things. At least for me. I'm not 'right'. Just how I see it.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
I guess they put the ark in Amusement Park.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I guess they put the ark in Amusement Park.
They are building the whole 9 yards

Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I understand a very old archaic name for one of the Cana'anite gods was El Shaddai. El Shaddai is the god mentioned in the little piece of paper that is encased in a covering and attached to the doorposts of most Jewish homes. It is called a Mezzuzah.

Yes, I know what a Mezzuzah is. I thought it was distributed mostly by the Chabad-Lubavitch sect. In fact, it was rarely seen until they got active in the city I used to live in.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:03 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is patently false, The inconsistencies and contradictions are legion. This is just one example of platitudes and doctrines stated as fact that simply are NOT true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Just baffles me how someone can claim to be a Christian yet be a passionate enemy of God's word.
And you will never understand it since you reject Jesus as the Word of God in favor of your Bible. jeff. I am NOT an enemy of God's word because I follow Christ who IS God's Word!!!You are the enemy of God's Word because you follow and revere a book instead.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
The Bible is consistent. The books you mentioned are not. Obviously, my points flew right over your head.
No it isn't. It has been added to and taken away from many times. Therefore it is not consistent.

Quote:
You are putting the horse before the cart. The other books are not his own Word if He never accepted them. They were not inspired by God. Otherwise, Christ would have acknowledged them too. Christ would have taught about purgatory and such things.
400 years after your alleged god-man they were still in your Bible. It was the Church that decided that they shouldn't be in there because they did not portray the story the way the Church wanted it portrayed.

Quote:
Well by heavens, we must declare all record history as FICTION then!
Oh don't be ridiculous. It's no wonder people laugh at you.

Quote:
How else would you tell the difference? The historians were just fiction writers apparently using real names and places in their tales.
We tell the difference with corroborating evidence.

Quote:
Your point is irrelevant unless you can provide that the literary style and techniques were identical to modern day writers.
No it isn't irrelevant. The valid point is that fiction writers use factual people and places in their works of fiction.
Quote:
Did the camp fire stories make up genealogies and fake races too?
Yes they did. They did it in your Bible.

Quote:
My point is that the DSS prove that the modern day Bible was carefully preserved.
Is that so? Then how come the Gospel of Mark got added to?

Quote:
If the Bible was purely a product of man, it would have looked extremely different from the DSS.
Why? The DSS were a product of man too.

Do you even realise that until the 4th century CE, Christendom didn't think that your JtC was anything other than 'spiritual'. Again. It was the Church that decided otherwise.It took them 325 years to do it.

Quote:
Good grief, do you blame God for everything??
It's one of the things that you have to accept when you are billed as 'the creator of everything'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe we could get AREQUIPA to meet us too and Rafius and others. How cool would that be?
For me, I think I'd rather have my testicles squeezed in a vice whilst being forced to listen to the complete recordings of Leonard Cohen.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:12 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And you will never understand it since you reject Jesus as the Word of God in favor of your Bible. jeff. I am NOT an enemy of God's word because I follow Christ who IS God's Word!!!You are the enemy of God's Word because you follow and revere a book instead.
Actually Jeff is correct in his summation of your hate toward God's Word. You pick and choose what you want to believe. Let's see, the Bible says God created the heavens and the earth. I imagine you believe that. Maybe not. Who knows? You think He is powerful enough to do that but not powerful enough to create Adam and Eve the way the Bible says? I'm sure you don't believe God saved Noah and family and the animals from a world-wide flood. But you believe other parts of the Bible, maybe? I guess? Maybe not? And this come down to Ken Ham's Ark Encounter. The nice thing about him building that ark is to show the world just how immense Noah's Ark was. It is not just something written about in the Bible. One can touch it and see it and be amazed at its size.

I am beginning to wonder if you believe anything written in the Bible.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:16 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Maybe we could get AREQUIPA to meet us too and Rafius and others. How cool would that be?

Quote:
Rafius replied: For me, I think I'd rather have my testicles squeezed in a vice whilst being forced to listen to the complete recordings of Leonard Cohen.
We can arrange for that too . . . if you had any to begin with. LOL. Now now, don't have a hissy. I am just throwing out the olive branch. So you wouldn't want to get with AREQUIPA and us at the ark? I'm sure we'd really have a good time. I'm sure you aren't as nasty in person as you are behind a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.