Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I see the Ark Park as nothing more than an outrageously expensive monument to Fundamentalist ignorance.

That snorting sound is the rest of the world laughing.
Well, yes.

The thing is, with the plug officially pulled on the former centuries-long tradition of stuffing pointed pieces of red-hot iron up people's butts and popping their eyes inward with screws in order to encourage them to join the flock, followed by a century and a half of iron-hot-poker-less non-conversions and a steady decrease in terror-based "belief" in favor of logic and common sense, they've now adopted a new strategy: make Christianity FUN! That'll bring 'em!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! Every single person and animal on the earth except for Noah and those few he saved died a horrific drowning death. Even infants, screaming until their lungs filled with water and they couldn't make sounds anymore. Even pregnant women. But you know what... (thinking) I'll bet if we made this FUN...people would come and then "accidentally" become Christians.

#fail indeed. Sorry dudes!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL!

Would you pay good $ to go to a strip club or Death Metal concert, Viz?

Or are you too close-minded?
I've been to 2 Guns N Roses Concerts. I saw them with Metalllica in what.....1993? Best concert I ever saw. I stood in the front row on the field of Arrowhead Stadium. I'd go to a reunion tour show of their's in a heartbeat if someone gave me tickets.

Trivia Question: Can anyone name (without googling) the opening act of that tour?

I have gone to a lot of rock concerts over the years. I've also seen AC/DC a couple times, been to Aerosmith, and a bunch of others. I never was into death metal...just not my thing. But I'd probably go see Black Sabbath if someone gave me a ticket.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, yes.

The thing is, with the plug officially pulled on the former centuries-long tradition of stuffing pointed pieces of red-hot iron up people's butts and popping their eyes inward with screws in order to encourage them to join the flock, followed by a century and a half of iron-hot-poker-less non-conversions and a steady decrease in terror-based "belief" in favor of logic and common sense, they've now adopted a new strategy: make Christianity FUN! That'll bring 'em!
What tenet of Christianity do you believe is represented by the idea of torturing people to believe/behave? Why do you believe that Christians do or did that?

You guys keep making these dumb, inflammatory statements about what Christianity is supposedly about...and when we deny that it doesn't represent Christianity, you really don't answer it. You have failed to make the point that Christianity is responsible for any of that garbage.

Quote:
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! Every single person and animal on the earth except for Noah and those few he saved died a horrific drowning death. Even infants, screaming until their lungs filled with water and they couldn't make sounds anymore. Even pregnant women. But you know what... (thinking) I'll bet if we made this FUN...people would come and then "accidentally" become Christians.

You're right. It was horrible. And I'm not sure that Ham really wants to downplay that.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What tenet of Christianity do you believe is represented by the idea of torturing people to believe/behave? Why do you believe that Christians do or did that?

You guys keep making these dumb, inflammatory statements about what Christianity is supposedly about...and when we deny that it doesn't represent Christianity, you really don't answer it. You have failed to make the point that Christianity is responsible for any of that garbage.
I absolutely did not say this is what Christianity is supposed to be about. I doubt, if there really was a Jesus, this was what he intended people to act like two thousand years in the future.

I said torture was, for centuries, a frequently-used method of "conversion" to Christianity, or to the specific brand of Christianity currently in vogue in any given area, and without that option, "getting" people to "believe" takes some new ingenuity and new methods.

That doesn't mean torture was what Christianity was supposed to be about. It means it was a very effective tool FREQUENTLY used by the religious authority in many nations for many centuries, and now that it has been gone for a while and people have become steadily more and more scientifically enlightened rather than willing to "just believe," a new M.O. is required. In this case, the M.O. attempt was the "fun factor" of a park.

p.s. sure we answer you when you say this is not what Christianity is about. We answer you in detail, from what I've seen. You just don't like the answers.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I absolutely did not say this is what Christianity is supposed to be about. I doubt, if there really was a Jesus, this was what he intended people to act like two thousand years in the future.
Then you'll agree that the ones doing the torturing or ordering it were not practicing Christianity and were very possibly/likely not Christians? And that it had less to do with Christianity than it did with godless men who power-hungry? That if those men were actually practicing the religion it would not have happened?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
I've been to 2 Guns N Roses Concerts. I saw them with Metalllica in what.....1993? Best concert I ever saw. I stood in the front row on the field of Arrowhead Stadium. I'd go to a reunion tour show of their's in a heartbeat if someone gave me tickets.

Trivia Question: Can anyone name (without googling) the opening act of that tour?

I have gone to a lot of rock concerts over the years. I've also seen AC/DC a couple times, been to Aerosmith, and a bunch of others. I never was into death metal...just not my thing. But I'd probably go see Black Sabbath if someone gave me a ticket.
That would be Faith No More

Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Then you'll agree that the ones doing the torturing or ordering it were not practicing Christianity and were very possibly/likely not Christians? And that it had less to do with Christianity than it did with godless men who power-hungry? That if those men were actually practicing the religion it would not have happened?
Whether or not they were practicing your particular form of Christianity, they themselves were certainly operating under the assumption that they were practicing Christianity. You are judging their form of Christianity from the perspective of a post enlightenment Christian. I am sure that they had all kinds of biblicaly cherry picked justifications for their actions.

To suggest otherwise would have gotten you the aforementioned hot butt poker, eye screws, and other horrors.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, it wasn't filmed in WV.

Most of the location filming was done in Georgia, although some was also done in the Carolinas.
Thanks mensaguy. I wonder if they wanted the audience to think the story took place in the back woods/hills of West Virginia? That's what I always thought.

Too bad Ken Ham couldn't have built the ark without all his young earth crap. It seems to me he is turning off a lot of people who know better and he becomes a sort of laughing stock. Then these people think he may represent Christians like me.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:45 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
JerZ wrote: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! Every single person and animal on the earth except for Noah and those few he saved died a horrific drowning death. Even infants, screaming until their lungs filled with water and they couldn't make sounds anymore. Even pregnant women. But you know what... (thinking) I'll bet if we made this FUN...people would come and then "accidentally" become Christians.

I am just curious why you don't balance that out with "God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:4-6)?

Or why not also balance that out with due to what Christ did, all mankind will be made righteous according to Romans 5:18,19?

I am just curious why folks just concentrate on what they perceive to be bad stuff but never mention the good stuff?

Kind of like Ken Ham's ark. Atheists want to concentrate on all the bad concerning it rather than the good. Maybe it is a human trait?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Whether or not they were practicing your particular form of Christianity, they themselves were certainly operating under the assumption that they were practicing Christianity. You are judging their form of Christianity from the perspective of a post enlightenment Christian. I am sure that they had all kinds of biblicaly cherry picked justifications for their actions.

To suggest otherwise would have gotten you the aforementioned hot butt poker, eye screws, and other horrors.
How do you know what they actually thought?

We have people that you admit are not practicing Christianity. You KNOW that....but you are going to blame the religion for it.

Convenient, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality