Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 03:57 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL, so no, you DON'T believe in balance, you're stating so right there. And here I was ready to throw out the "hypocritical" part of this equation. I guess I kind of jumped the gun there. Should have waited just a tic.

You don't want balance from me or anyone regarding this issue; you want "more good than bad." Sorry! Can't help ya there. Good luck, though.
I realize you can't help with that. That's why I'm trying to help you see that the good far outweighs the bad. You think the bad outweighs anything. No, sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Man's life is like a microscopic dot. Imagine this dot followed by a line:

. __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

That dot represents all humans lives. The line proceeding from it is their immortal, incorruptible life. Pretend that line goes on for eternity. Now tell me how wrong God is to do that?

Old 07-21-2016, 04:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I realize you can't help with that. That's why I'm trying to help you see that the good far outweighs the bad. You think the bad outweighs anything. No, sorry, it doesn't work that way.
(underlined ^ ) No. I just think it exists. You can't wish it away.

The line and the dot represent your belief, not reality, I am sorry. Your belief is fine, there's nothing wrong with it as such, but it is a belief. You may keep it as it makes you feel happy but that doesn't mean it proves a point - it just means it makes you feel happy. Nothing wrong with that, but see it for what it is.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Umm, God never slit open wombs. Humans did that to humans. He never told any father to give their daughters to be raped. Care to try again?

See, not only do you get the story line wrong, you just can't balance the bad with the good.

All those humans were going to die anyway. So the process was sped up a little?
They are all going to be saved. They are one day going to rejoice in that. Why don't you now?

And let's not forget to talk about Ken Ham's Ark Encounter since that is what this thread is about.
LOL! Now that is funny in a rather Hitlerish way. All those humans were going to die anyway. I wonder if that would hold up in court?

It can be applied to the animals too, as all those animals were going to die anyway.

GOD: "Noah! Build thee thy Ark, thou knowest itest bestest to killeth all mankind and animals because damnit, they were all going to die anyway."

Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
MOD....

This is about the ark and taxpayer funds. Please bring it back on topic.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
That always cracks me up too.....

It's like blaming the gun for killing someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
MOD....

Yes, I agree. How is your post on blaming the gun related to the Ark?

Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
LOL! Now that is funny in a rather Hitlerish way. All those humans were going to die anyway. I wonder if that would hold up in court?

It can be applied to the animals too, as all those animals were going to die anyway.

GOD: "Noah! Build thee thy Ark, thou knowest itest bestest to killeth all mankind and animals because damnit, they were all going to die anyway."
^ LOL ^ !!! You...you. I like you.

Can we apply this to ALL scenarios? Or is that not okay?

"My God, my God. Why hast Thou forsaken me?" "Well, you were going to die anyway."

Quote:
Oh, sorry. Here you go:

I propose we ask that the ark exhibit include a balloon coming from a cloud with the text, "They were going to die anyway."

Old 07-21-2016, 05:57 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Thanks mensaguy. I wonder if they wanted the audience to think the story took place in the back woods/hills of West Virginia? That's what I always thought.

Too bad Ken Ham couldn't have built the ark without all his young earth crap. It seems to me he is turning off a lot of people who know better and he becomes a sort of laughing stock. Then these people think he may represent Christians like me.
No, the story of Deliverance is actually based on real events in Georgia. Not real events with banjo music. Real events like damming up a river.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Wrong.

So can you find even one good thing about Ken Ham's Ark Experience? Just one?
Can you?

Can you name any substantive benefits of the Ark Park? I'll give you the jobs, for sure - it's providing jobs and pumping money into the local economy, an economy that sorely needs to have a few dollars pumped into it. But aside from that, how does it benefit society in any way?

I imagine you (or someone else) will say that it advances the common good by promoting christianity, but I warn you right now that if that's all ya got, it don't mean squat. Because in my opinion, the harm that is done to society by blatantly spreading the barbaric, primitive ignorance that the Ark Park promotes far outweighs whatever good the religion might do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Way to show you're open-minded.
Open-minded? What a complete non-sequitur. There's simply nothing about the Ark Park that I find remotely interesting. I have a lot of other things I'd prefer to do with my free time, things that would give me a lot more enjoyment than marching around looking at silly crap like that.

I don't go to amusement parks, because there isn't anything about roller coasters that I find interesting. I don't go to Planet Disney because I'm not at all interested in seeing grownups prance around dressed up like ducks and mice. By the same token, I don't go to christian theme parks because - you got it - there is nothing I find remotely interesting about seeing fiberglass animals depicting the tired old fables of the Old Testament. It's not about being "open minded" - it's simply about spending my life doing things that I, personally, find enjoyable and interesting.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Can you?

Can you name any substantive benefits of the Ark Park? I'll give you the jobs, for sure - it's providing jobs and pumping money into the local economy, an economy that sorely needs to have a few dollars pumped into it. But aside from that, how does it benefit society in any way?

I imagine you (or someone else) will say that it advances the common good by promoting christianity, but I warn you right now that if that's all ya got, it don't mean squat. Because in my opinion, the harm that is done to society by blatantly spreading the barbaric, primitive ignorance that the Ark Park promotes far outweighs whatever good the religion might do.

Open-minded? What a complete non-sequitur. There's simply nothing about the Ark Park that I find remotely interesting. I have a lot of other things I'd prefer to do with my free time, things that would give me a lot more enjoyment than marching around looking at silly crap like that.

I don't go to amusement parks, because there isn't anything about roller coasters that I find interesting. I don't go to Planet Disney because I'm not at all interested in seeing grownups prance around dressed up like ducks and mice. By the same token, I don't go to christian theme parks because - you got it - there is nothing I find remotely interesting about seeing fiberglass animals depicting the tired old fables of the Old Testament. It's not about being "open minded" - it's simply about spending my life doing things that I, personally, find enjoyable and interesting.
I'm with you. My wife took the kids to Canada's Wonderland and other amusement parks. I flat-out refused to go. I explained it to my boys early on and they gave up trying to convince me by the time they were 8. I don't find sticky pavement, long lines, bad food and grumpy people remotely close to enjoyable. To those that do: You have my blessing. But never my company. I'm completely happy feeding birds at home, reading newspapers or watching the game on TV.

I'd rather have a tooth pulled without anesthetic than spend an hour at that Ken Ham abomination.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Yes, I agree. How is your post on blaming the gun related to the Ark?
I believe that was an analogy. They are allowed to do that. That's kinds how they do it. Analogies, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.