Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 08:57 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But...I don't say any of the story is true. You know that.

This is all hypothetical. My comments here prove their own point: that none of it could be true, and at the same time be the slightest bit rational. I thought you got that. If not, I wasn't clear.

I'm not "mad at" God any more than I'm mad at Santa Claus for refusing to bring me a flat screen last Christmas or mad at Peter Pan for not peeping in through my window to invite me to Neverland so I'd never have to grow up and get a job. I'm eye-rolling-ish at people who make up these stories, yes. It's frustrating how people keep themselves deliberately ignorant and irrational just so they can keep clinging to the dangling carrot of the thought of some huuuuuuuuuuuge reward they're eventually going to get for being only occasionally jerky and never having killed someone. THAT'S a little frustrating but it's still not anger, really. Not as long as it doesn't start rearing its illogical head in my kids' schools, in my government, in my uterus, etc. If and when that happens (or is attempted) by screaming Bible-thumpers, then I'll be annoyed, yes, but in the meantime it's more like frustration at repeated ignorance. Not really anger. So don't worry about that.
I don't believe salvation is merit based or a reward. It is all based on grace and what Christ accomplished for all mankind (including you) on the cross. You eventually will be saved whether you believe it or not simply because you have been ransomed by Christ.

Okay, so you spend all this time writing huge diatribes against this God who is a baby killer (according to you) all the while you believe all of this is just make believe like Peter Pan? Do you go on children's message boards where they talk about their favorite make believe hero and berate them and their heroes for not doing this or that? Maybe you berate Cat Woman for her failures to the children? Do you spend days and days berating these make believe heroes? Is this all you have to do in life?

You see, you really don't want to believe God has way way way more blessings for humanity, all of humanity, than the very short blip of existence of good and evil. You want to go through life getting on message boards and telling Christians and others of your persuasion just how big a baby killer God is. You just can't stand to take a few steps back from your microscopic picture and see the whole picture. It's the same with Ken Ham's Ark Encounter. You just can't see any good at all in it.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Jizzuz, Raffs. Ain't it blatant how they use the "Mad at God" accusation as a pretext for dismissing all our reasons for finding the Noah story (and most of the rest of the Book) dubious in the extreme? Can they have any idea how gobsmackingly biased it makes THEM look when they do it?
I don't think they do realise old chap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But you can't actually PROVE the historic account of Noah's flood is superstition.
You can't actually PROVE that the story about Polyphemus throwing rocks at passing ships from the slopes of Mount Etna is superstition but you would nevertheless claim that it is because the story is beyond the realms of reality...just like the flood story.

Quote:
At least we have the historic account to back our side.
You have no verifiable evidence to back your claim and that is all that matters.

Quote:
And it isn't willful ignorance to put ones faith in historic accounts.
Faith is not required when dealing with verifiable evidence. This is where people laugh at you all the time. You claim that the Bible is a historically proven document...and then go on to use faith! LOL!

Quote:
You use faith all the time when you read history books of the ancient Romans etc.
No I don't use faith. I don't use faith EVER. I verify history with FACTS not faith.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:12 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

You can't actually PROVE that the story about Polyphemus throwing rocks at passing ships from the slopes of Mount Etna is superstition but you would nevertheless claim that it is because the story is beyond the realms of reality...just like the flood story.

You have no verifiable evidence to back your claim and that is all that matters.

Faith is not required when dealing with verifiable evidence. This is where people laugh at you all the time. You claim that the Bible is a historically proven document...and then go on to use faith! LOL!

No I don't use faith. I don't use faith EVER. I verify history with FACTS not faith.
Whatever.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Whatever.
Yeah! When ever one's opponent says 'whatever'...you know that he has no rebuttal! Instead of shrugging your shoulder and saying 'whatever' like an impetuous, emo teenager. Why don't you address the points I made Edgar?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:35 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Okay, so you spend all this time writing huge diatribes against this God who is a baby killer (according to you) all the while you believe all of this is just make believe like Peter Pan? Do you go on children's message boards where they talk about their favorite make believe hero and berate them and their heroes for not doing this or that? Maybe you berate Cat Woman for her failures to the children? Do you spend days and days berating these make believe heroes? Is this all you have to do in life?
Not unless those kids attempt to teach this to my kids and to society in general and attempt to infiltrate laws and schools with their beliefs about Peter Pan and Cat Woman, and not until kids are allowed to vote based on who is willing to attempt to lead by adjusting society - MY OWN society - according to what Peter Pan and Cat Women's demands are.

The day that happens, I'll definitely be on those boards to "berate" (as you see it).

But until that time, they're just immature individuals making stuff up in order to feel happy...the same way the innocent side of religion seeks to create stories to make people happy. Therefore, barring the spreading of "you MUST all believe in Peter Pan and Cat Woman or you'll burn eternally in hell, here's how to spread the word to EVERYONE," I'm fine with the impressionable, innocent and ignorant playing around with fantasy ideas, on their own time and in their own little fantasy world. I'm fine with this in the religious community, too.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:

Faith is ALWAYS required.
Faith that the info and data you have to back your "facts" and your "evidence" is valid.
Since nothing is infallible...all knowledge necessarily rests to a greater or lesser degree on FAITH.
SO...keep the Faith Raf...cuz it's all you *really* have.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Faith that the info and data you have to back your "facts" and your "evidence" is valid.
No foolish one. You would do well to learn what faith is.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
All those humans were going to die anyway. So the process was sped up a little? They are all going to be saved. They are one day going to rejoice in that. Why don't you now?
Wait! All those people were good, and he killed them for ... what reason, please?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Since nothing is infallible...all knowledge necessarily rests to a greater or lesser degree on FAITH.
SO...keep the Faith Raf...cuz it's all you *really* have.
Faith doesn't mean "belief in a god" or "I'll blindly accept what's said." Trying to limit the meanings of words to one that is useful for you is disingenuous.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
No foolish one. You would do well to learn what faith is.
"Strong Belief"....like what you have regarding the accuracy and actual validity of the information and data you have to back up what you call "facts" and "evidence".
You have FAITH (strong belief) that the information you are using is valid...but it might not be, as nothing is infallible. SO...you have FAITH it is...and then "claim" you have facts and evidence. Which may or may not be true...you can never be absolutely sure. Thus...you ONLY have FAITH.
You, et al, need to get hip to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.