Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 02:35 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't know. Why don't you visit Ken Ham's Ark Encounter and find out?
*watches as the point flies right over Eusebius's head*

Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe you didn't read closely enough.
They stated:

"Using approximate animal weights and some basic physics principles, they found that such a vessel could have stayed afloat with 70,000 animals on board."

The point is Shirina said "The logistics make the Noah story absolutely IMPOSSIBLE," when in fact the logistics prove it is possible.
No, Eusebius.

Playing a game of Jenga with 70,000 animals is NOT logistics.

You need to look up what "logistics" actually means.

Just because you can cram 70,000 animals onto a ship and have it stay afloat doesn't mean it can stay afloat for 2 years ... or that the 70,000 animals can stay alive for 2 years. Or that there's enough room for the food. Or the crew. Or that the conditions were sanitary enough to avoid disease from plowing through the population killing most everything on board. Or that there was enough room for spare planks of wood, tools, and materials for routine maintenance. And on and on and on. Two years is a long time to be at sea even for a modern vessel that is well equipped with all the 21st Century bells and whistles. In fact, no ship has ever been at sea that long without being resupplied. Sorry Charlie, but it just ain't happenin' ... because you don't understand what logistics means.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No, Eusebius.

Playing a game of Jenga with 70,000 animals is NOT logistics.

You need to look up what "logistics" actually means.

Just because you can cram 70,000 animals onto a ship and have it stay afloat doesn't mean it can stay afloat for 2 years ... or that the 70,000 animals can stay alive for 2 years.
Who said 2 years? Why don't you fudge the number and say "stay afloat for 2,000 years"?

This might be helpful: Untitled in showing how long Noah, family and animals were on the ark.

Quote:
Or that there's enough room for the food. Or the crew. Or that the conditions were sanitary enough to avoid disease from plowing through the population killing most everything on board. Or that there was enough room for spare planks of wood, tools, and materials for routine maintenance. And on and on and on. Two years is a long time to be at sea even for a modern vessel that is well equipped with all the 21st Century bells and whistles. In fact, no ship has ever been at sea that long without being resupplied. Sorry Charlie, but it just ain't happenin' ... because you don't understand what logistics means.
I already posted a link in this thread which dealt with the above. Maybe you missed it. If you want, you can search it out.

Ken Ham's Ark is a great exhibit that the size of the original ark was plenty large enough for it to handle all the exigencies Noah had to deal with easily.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
*watches as the point flies right over Eusebius's head*
You can go with her to Ken Ham's Ark exhibit and find out.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, I think it has immense value as an example of an important part of Hebrew mythology, as a part of history when people attempted to explain their confusing world using stories that reflected their attitudes - humans being evil or at least prone to doing bad/slacking, retribution, punishment, hope, the value of doing what one was told without question, an illustration of how "big" they believed their God to be.
For thousands of years the Israelits didn't consider Genesis to be mythology. Many today still believe it to be factual. But even if today, the majority of Jews now consider the Historical Noah account to be myth does not prove it is or was when written.
But I do appreciate your thought on the matter even if it is wrong. It is important to see what others think even if we disagree.

Quote:
It has value in the same way a Greek or Celtic or Japanese mythology exhibit has value. They all help us to peek into the past and see how people dealt with a scary world in the absence of scientific knowledge. They're part of man's intellectual evolution. They're a stepping stone in our past.
Well, at least you gave us your personal opinion. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Okay, they were on the Ark 378 days ... which is STILL TOO DAMN LONG.

I don't care WHAT that moron Ken Ham said. I happen to know a great deal about naval matters. How much does Ken Ham know?

That tool will say ANYTHING to make sure his fairy story works ... which it doesn't.

Like I said in my original post. Reality speaks for itself, Eusebius. There is no way that thousands of animals of all different types could have been crammed on a 400 foot wooden ship, floated around for over a year, then landed on a completely waterlogged (read: DEAD) planet, and survived.

PERIOD.

I'm not even sure why I'm here since this is like arguing whether a unicorn can beat up a dragon.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:34 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
I'm not even sure why I'm here since this is like arguing whether a unicorn can beat up a dragon.
True, but that is the point. You are reasoning with unreasoning credulity. Eusebius believes in magic and the complete power of God to do ANYTHING. Nothing is impossible for his God, Shirina. There is no reasoning with magical thinking.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True, but that is the point. You are reasoning with unreasoning credulity. Eusebius believes in magic and the complete power of God to do ANYTHING. Nothing is impossible for his God, Shirina. There is no reasoning with magical thinking.
No, I don't believe in magic. Yes, if God can create the universe, what else is too hard for Him?

Are you going to the Ken Ham ark? Maybe you might learn something?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, they were on the Ark 378 days ... which is STILL TOO DAMN LONG.

I don't care WHAT that moron Ken Ham said. I happen to know a great deal about naval matters. How much does Ken Ham know?

That tool will say ANYTHING to make sure his fairy story works ... which it doesn't.

Like I said in my original post. Reality speaks for itself, Eusebius. There is no way that thousands of animals of all different types could have been crammed on a 400 foot wooden ship, floated around for over a year, then landed on a completely waterlogged (read: DEAD) planet, and survived.

PERIOD.

I'm sure people like you would find fault if it were 10 days.

You do know this thread is about Ken Ham's Ark? Maybe you should consider visiting it.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:46 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
If one could reason with religious people, there would not be religious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality