Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Eusebius believes in magic and the complete power of God to do ANYTHING.
No he doesn't! He doesn't believe in it any more than you or I. He's a POE. A very good one but a POE nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Who said 2 years?
Hey fella! You forgot me.
Post 1249 starting....

'No. Your flood is dated to ~2300 BCE...'

Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I don't know if this has already been raised, but ...Noah preached 'repentance' to the local folks in his town prior to the deluge. Apparently, they wouldn't listen (they were disobedient) and so God created a huge flood that destroyed them.

Now, if I were to preach repentance to those in my city (population approximately 234,000) in similar circumstances as that of Noah it would take me some time as I would have to spend much of my week out on the streets trying to reach as many people as I could. I would have no radio, television, Internet or news media to assist me in getting out my message. If I were building a huge boat at the same time I would certainly have my work cut out to both preach and boat-build at the same time.

The next closest city to mine is about 4 hours away. The population of that city is approximately 160,500 people. If I were building a huge boat and also street preaching I doubt that I could find the time to preach repentance outside of my own town or city. And so. my neighboring city would never hear my message of repentance. Nor would any other city of the world outside my own. My message is only preached and heard by those confined to my small area of residence.

However, God decides to destroy the entire world with a flood even though those in my own city are the only ones that have heard - and subsequently disobeyed - my message of repentance. Why destroy everyone else in the world? They never heard my message of repentance. Isn't this rather unfair? Moreover, why a dramatic flood? Couldn't God just zap 'the sinners' in my city out of existence without all of the drama? Or, does the added drama make the story so much more interesting?

Was 'the world' as mentioned in the Noah story no bigger than Noah's town? Was this the only 'world' known of at that time? Were the animals spoken of in the story no more than the animals confined in one small area of 'Noah's world'?

Or, more likely, was the Noah story no more than a story? Is it foolishness for adult, intelligent people to actually believe in and to preach a fairy tale as fact? Let's face it, the Noah story really does NOT make any sense other than as a fairy tale.
And beneath all this is the fact that if God is all knowing, he knew nobody would repent anyway so what the hell...?

Then again, he knew before he created even the very first human that he'd end up hating them all so much that he'd fly into a murderous rage. But he did it anyway.

No, none of it makes sense. It's mythology and probably began to be developed when Yahweh was still just one of many gods in a pagan pantheon. Trying to "grow" him into the "only" God was problematic, as we see here among many, many other illustrations in the Bible.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I don't know if this has already been raised, but ...Noah preached 'repentance' to the local folks in his town prior to the deluge. Apparently, they wouldn't listen (they were disobedient) and so God created a huge flood that destroyed them.

Now, if I were to preach repentance to those in my city (population approximately 234,000) in similar circumstances as that of Noah it would take me some time as I would have to spend much of my week out on the streets trying to reach as many people as I could. I would have no radio, television, Internet or news media to assist me in getting out my message. If I were building a huge boat at the same time I would certainly have my work cut out to both preach and boat-build at the same time.

The next closest city to mine is about 4 hours away. The population of that city is approximately 160,500 people. If I were building a huge boat and also street preaching I doubt that I could find the time to preach repentance outside of my own town or city. And so. my neighboring city would never hear my message of repentance. Nor would any other city of the world outside my own. My message is only preached and heard by those confined to my small area of residence.

However, God decides to destroy the entire world with a flood even though those in my own city are the only ones that have heard - and subsequently disobeyed - my message of repentance. Why destroy everyone else in the world? They never heard my message of repentance. Isn't this rather unfair? Moreover, why a dramatic flood? Couldn't God just zap 'the sinners' in my city out of existence without all of the drama? Or, does the added drama make the story so much more interesting?

Was 'the world' as mentioned in the Noah story no bigger than Noah's town? Was this the only 'world' known of at that time? Were the animals spoken of in the story no more than the animals confined in one small area of 'Noah's world'?

Or, more likely, was the Noah story no more than a story? Is it foolishness for adult, intelligent people to actually believe in and to preach a fairy tale as fact? Let's face it, the Noah story really does NOT make any sense other than as a fairy tale.
Not as a "fairy tale".
As an allegorical story.

Debating the literal veracity of the Flood account is as about as useful as debating the literal veracity of the Creation account.
Only people that have such a poor grip on their emotions that it bothers them sooooooo much that there are many people of the belief that it is literally true, would spend the precious minutes of their life getting all technical & academic and analyzing it every which way in their debating about it with Religious Fundamentalist strangers on the Internet.
Keep pounding that sand and spitting into the wind!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Nice try, but it has nothing to do with not having a handle on our emotions, LOL. That's certainly the easier thing to believe, I'll give it that. I'm not sure easier is always better, though. JMO.

By the way, GR, you're spending the precious moments of your life arsin' around on some internet forum, too. Just thought you might want to know that, since you've been kind enough to point the finger at, er, show concern for the rest of us "wasting" our time.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Only people that have such a poor grip on their emotions that it bothers them sooooooo much that there are many people of the belief that it is literally true, would spend the precious minutes of their life getting all technical & academic and analyzing it every which way in their debating about it with Religious Fundamentalist strangers on the Internet.
You're damn right mate. It bothers me A LOT that, in the most militarily powerful country in the world, there are so many people that believe that a cosmic zombie is going to come back to save them...and that there are so many people, many in powerful positions that would love to hasten that day.

It bothers me a lot that so many people try to threaten me into believing the same nonsense as they do.

It bothers me a lot that those same people want to tell me how to live my life based on what they think an invisible, unevidenced deity wants for me.

It bothers me a lot that those same peopled are trying to introduce ancient superstition and pseudo-science into our places of learning in order to infect out children with the same disease that they suffer from.

It bothers me a lot that those same people try to take the rights of others from them because they think that their invisible, unevidenced deity disapproves of what they do.

Will I spend the precious minutes of my life fighting and arguing about that?

DAMN RIGHT I WILL!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Nice try, but it has nothing to do with not having a handle on our emotions, LOL. That's certainly the easier thing to believe, I'll give it that. I'm not sure easier is always better, though. JMO.

By the way, GR, you're spending the precious moments of your life arsin' around on some internet forum, too. Just thought you might want to know that, since you've been kind enough to point the finger at, er, show concern for the rest of us "wasting" our time.
Nah...it's Saturday night. So, guess where I am?
At the club, of course. The usual deal.
Here anyway...at the computer anyway. I was waiting for Paula Coles' "Feelin' Love" (I've always dug that song...check it out) to finish...and figured I would click over here to plague you.
My time here is not typically proprietary. I don’t assume it is that way with most. I'm working, making money. The "lag time" occurs. I've explained this a jillion times before.
I guess I could be going over photo edits, or work on an ad or sumthin instead. But, I like you better, Kiddo.

Last edited by GldnRule; 07-24-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You're damn right mate. It bothers me A LOT that, in the most militarily powerful country in the world, there are so many people that believe that a cosmic zombie is going to come back to save them...and that there are so many people, many in powerful positions that would love to hasten that day.

It bothers me a lot that so many people try to threaten me into believing the same nonsense as they do.

It bothers me a lot that those same people want to tell me how to live my life based on what they think an invisible, unevidenced deity wants for me.

It bothers me a lot that those same peopled are trying to introduce ancient superstition and pseudo-science into our places of learning in order to infect out children with the same disease that they suffer from.

It bothers me a lot that those same people try to take the rights of others from them because they think that their invisible, unevidenced deity disapproves of what they do.

Will I spend the precious minutes of my life fighting and arguing about that?

DAMN RIGHT I WILL!
Am I a weirdo that it really doesn't bother me?
There are lots of things people believe and do that I think is messed up. And, for sure, a lot of what I do bothers other people.
No big deal. Not to me, anyway.
I just, "Go with the flow". Life is happier and more contented that way.
Though I do get a kick outta y'all on this board.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Am I a weirdo that it really doesn't bother me?
There are lots of things people believe and do that I think is messed up. And, for sure, a lot of what I do bothers other people.
No big deal. Not to me, anyway.
I just, "Go with the flow". Life is happier and more contented that way.
Though I do get a kick outta y'all on this board.
Well yes, you're a wierdo but probably not for that reason. We'll see how you feel when you are living under a theocracy such as the Taliban or ISIS...because that is what is coming if you don't spend the 'precious minutes of your life' fighting against it. One thing for sure is that you certainly won't be running any 'strip club'.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Not as a "fairy tale".

As an allegorical story.

Debating the literal veracity of the Flood account is as about as useful as debating the literal veracity of the Creation account.
I'm not so much debating. I'm more playing the devil's advocate. There are many who DO believe the authenticity of the Noah story. I guess that I probably did at one time.

Quote:

Keep pounding that sand and spitting into the wind!
Um, okay, will do.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:20 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Eusebius, why did Ham lie/sin with the names of noah's kids wives?

Does the bible tell the names? Ken Ham knows their names... What gives?

Think anything else is made up about the ark park or only this lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.